C Marco Rossi (2020, 9th, MIN) Part II

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Austrian newspaper story on Rossi from April 18:

Austrian icehockey talent Marco Rossi talked for the first time about the consequences of his Covid19 infection. The "Vorarlberger" (State he is from) caught the Covid19 infection only one month after being drafted by the Minnesota Wild on 9th position. Month after the infection he still felt extremly tired the 19 year old told during a TV interview with the ORF (Austrian national broadcaster).
"At the moment my only wish is to get 100% healthy again" Rossi said. At the beginning of the infection he only felt mild back pain, he returned to the ice rink in Switzerland to play for the ZCS Lions.
"On long road trips I constantly wondered why I am so extremely tired". It became the worst when he travelled to the U20 World Cup at the turn of the year in Canada. "I was completely exhausted and was not able to return to the ice". I thought I had bad jet lag or something similar. "I never brought this into relation with my Covid infection".
Rossi then flew to his Team in Minnesota where an intense medical check was performed. It was then clear that he would not give his NHL debut this season. His contract was moved one year so that it remains for 3 years (I am not sure if this is correct it is worded a bit strange in the article). "My goal is to play next season" Rossi said. "I was always a positive minded guy, the plan is to start training mid May, and then we will take it from there"
"Dad, please stay"
Because of the consequences of his illness, he "got a whole new perspective", the teenager explained. After a lot of medical checks during winter he returned to his familiy in Austria. "For my wife and me it was a very difficult situation" his dad Michael Rossi told ORF. Before he went to sleep his son told him" Dad please stay, I am afraid my heart stops beating"
Michael Rossi waived any finger pointing but said he hopes that there is learning effect to this whole story "you have to be very careful in professional sports with Covid infections". He urged parents and clubs "I wish there would be more attention to players who tell you that they are very tired, most people do not think of consequences of a past Covid infection in this situations". People think you are 10 days ill and then it is over, "but you are only immun after that but still may suffer consequences".
The start to his comeback should begin in the upcoming days on the Olympic base in Vorarlberg according to Rossis wishes. Father and son are hoping for support of the regional government. "This is also a big chance to get to know, the consequences of this infection, better" Michael Rossi said. In the meanwhile his son is back to complete health again. The blood levels/values are good, ECG is looking good as well. We need not to be afraid". There won´t be any long term consequences.
Rossi Jr. confirms this. At the moment his training mainly consists of mobilization exercises (Dont know if that makes sense in English, I think this are basic exercises for activating muscles and the right hear rate sections). "At the moment I feel really very good again" the center forward, who rocked the Ontario Hockey League in Canada the last few years, said. But at his return to Austria during last winter "it was really hard". "I was somehow able to go out for a walk but when I needed to go upstairs, I already was tired after a few steps".

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The final sentence where he talks about being tired when walking up stairs is exactly how one of the Canucks described an infected player. Thanks for making this article available. MN will have to take it easy with Rossi and his development, even though they are in dire need of a top 6 Center(or two).

It was hard to rate his performance at the WJC's because of how weak his team was, but this certainly explains a lot.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This was far from easy to read, but good to hear he’s doing better and should be able to begin training soon.
Exclusive: Minnesota Wild's Marco Rossi on COVID-19 complications, 'I'm just happy that I'm still alive'

[
QUOTE]
“The doctors told me if I played one more game in the World Junior Championship, this could have ended completely different,’ Rossi said Tuesday”

“Every time before I went to sleep, I was so scared that I won’t wake up anymore,’ Rossi said. ‘Every night, before sleep, I was really sad and always crying because I was scared of that. I told my parents, ‘Could you sleep right next to my bed and be here ‘til I fall asleep?’ And every day I woke up in the morning, I was so glad that I woke up. It was really hard.”’

“Following his dad’s instructions from Austria, Rossi asked his coach if he could take practices off. That’s when Rossi said his team and his teammates knew something had to be wrong because Rossi never takes a practice off.
‘Everyone was like, ‘What’s wrong, Marco? You always go on the ice,’ Rossi said. ‘I said, ‘I can’t. I’m so tired.’ Everyone was shocked.”
[/QUOTE]

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This was far from easy to read, but good to hear he’s doing better and should be able to begin training soon.
Exclusive: Minnesota Wild's Marco Rossi on COVID-19 complications, 'I'm just happy that I'm still alive'

[
QUOTE]
“The doctors told me if I played one more game in the World Junior Championship, this could have ended completely different,’ Rossi said Tuesday”

“Every time before I went to sleep, I was so scared that I won’t wake up anymore,’ Rossi said. ‘Every night, before sleep, I was really sad and always crying because I was scared of that. I told my parents, ‘Could you sleep right next to my bed and be here ‘til I fall asleep?’ And every day I woke up in the morning, I was so glad that I woke up. It was really hard.”’

“Following his dad’s instructions from Austria, Rossi asked his coach if he could take practices off. That’s when Rossi said his team and his teammates knew something had to be wrong because Rossi never takes a practice off.
‘Everyone was like, ‘What’s wrong, Marco? You always go on the ice,’ Rossi said. ‘I said, ‘I can’t. I’m so tired.’ Everyone was shocked.”
[/QUOTE]
You hear some players playing through wrist injuries or leg injuries in the NHL playoffs. Rossi played in the WJC-20 to the brink of death. That's a hockey player right there.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

[
QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not able to read the article but what was the complication that he had?

Hard to see a young person go through this, this was the player I was hoping would fall to the Habs. Wish him a complete recovery and a long and successful hockey career.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Myocarditis. Enlargement of the heart. Alex Stalock, former Wild goaltender, had the same thing. It puts you at risk of heart failure if you do any strenuous exercise. Also permanent heart damage.

Reactions: wetcoast

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Wow! This is tough to read. Watched him 100 times in the O and knew something was off watching him at WJC. Just figured he was rustier than others . Obviously he wasn’t ! Damn..

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He'll be back in no time, dude is a work out maniac.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'll never for the life of me understand why he played that tournament. He can't possibly have felt great. He played like absolute ass. Even I noticed. No idea why the Austrians kept on playing him. Stupid coaches and useless docs I guess. Horrible story.

Reactions: BigHitter67

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I'll never for the life of me understand why he played that tournament. He can't possibly have felt great. He played like absolute ass. Even I noticed. No idea why the Austrians kept on playing him. Stupid coaches and useless docs I guess. Horrible story.
Competitive athlete, he thought he could push through it. I've never played anywhere close to that level but I understand that sentiment. Obviously a mistake in hindsight.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad