C/W Marat Khusnutdinov (2020, 37th, MIN)

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
From my perspective, I have more concerns about players like Rossi/Perfetti/Raymond/Holtz/Quinn, hell even Byfield. Do I believe their ceilings are higher? For the most part I do, but I think Amirov has a better chance to put it all together and be a first line player than most of the players I mentioned. Maybe his ceiling won't be as high, but I could easily see players like Lundell, Quinn, Rossi, and Perfetti struggling.

I personally have him at 8 because I do value the game-breaking upside of some of the usual suspects, but If someone thinks he has a fairly good chance at becoming a perennial 25-30G/35-40A guy who is excellent defensively, can run a powerplay from the wall, kill penalties and drive possession all over the ice...........I can see how they make the case for Amirov in the top 3.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Sorry, that's my bad on this one.

To get back to the topic at hand, Khusnutdinov's development is something that has stuck in my mind recently. Is he a player that should just continue to try and work his way up to the ladder to the KHL, or would he benefit from joining Eerie next season to try and hone his offense a bit?

Reactions: NOA and Caser

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

To get back to the topic at hand, Khusnutdinov's development is something that has stuck in my mind recently. Is he a player that should just continue to try and work his way up to the ladder to the KHL, or would he benefit from joining Eerie next season to try and hone his offense a bit?

He should stay with SKA.

gusev nikita

Apr 27, 2020
moscow
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-mock-draft-first-round-scenarios-7/

28) Vegas Golden Knights — Marat Khusnutdinov (LC, Russia, SKA-1946 St. Petersburg MHL)

Vegas-Golden-Knights-square-logo-480x480.jpg

ANALYSIS: Vegas has shown a willingness to draft Russians and seems to be getting rewarded with 2018 second-rounder Ivan Morozov and 2019 third-rounder Pavel Dorofeyev both trending well in their development. Khusnutdinov is considered a riser as a two-way centre who flashed more offensive upside as the draft year progressed, showing off his creativity as his confidence continued to grow. Morozov was also drafted as a two-way type, so the Golden Knights may feel Khusnutdinov is a tad redundant, but seeing Morozov take off might increase Vegas’ interest in Khusnutdinov, who finished the season looking like a legitimate first-round talent.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Depends what role he can get in Russia. If he can get steady top 9 minutes in the KHL, stay there, but otherwise I think he should go to Erie and get top line minutes. Another season in the MHL would be worthless for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Depends what role he can get in Russia. If he can get steady top 9 minutes in the KHL, stay there, but otherwise I think he should go to Erie and get top line minutes. Another season in the MHL would be worthless for him.

If you were as big of a fan of him as you say, you wouldn’t want him to play North American juniors.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If you were as big of a fan of him as you say, you wouldn’t want him to play North American juniors.
Did you not read what I said? If his team forces him into another year of playing in the MHL, the OHL would be way better for him. OHL >>>>>> MHL.

Obviously if he gets promoted to the KHL, that's what's best for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did you not read what I said? If his team forces him into another year of playing in the MHL, the OHL would be way better for him. OHL >>>>>> MHL.

Obviously if he gets promoted to the KHL, that's what's best for him.

If they force him into another year in the MHL, it’s because they think he’s not good enough for the KHL or VHL yet. You don’t get up and run to another continent if your team thinks you aren’t good enough yet to move to a higher level. That doesn’t mean they don’t have your best development interest in mind.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If they force him into another year in the MHL, it’s because they think he’s not good enough for the KHL or VHL yet. You don’t get up and run to another continent if your team thinks you aren’t good enough yet to move to a higher level. That doesn’t mean they don’t have your best development interest in mind.
They already undervalued him this season by giving him 3rd line minutes. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it again.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
His argument is obviously that the team is undervaluing his contributions.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Undersized centre Marat Khusnutdinov has been extremely impressive on the international stage, helping Russian teams to multiple tournament victories. Last summer he captained the Russians to the gold medal at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, scoring three points in five games. He was also part of the gold medal-winning team at the 2019 World Junior A Hockey Challenge, despite being a double underage player. Khusnutdinov won another gold medal at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring five points in six games. He took home a silver medal from the 2019 IIHF Under-18 World Championships, scoring three points in seven games as an underage player.

Khusnutdinov spent the season with SKA St. Petersburg’s MHL team. He scored 13 goals and 25 assists for 38 points in 44 games. The playoffs were cancelled due to COVID-19. In 2017-18, Khusnutdinov played for Vityaz Podolsk. In the regular season, he played with the Under-17 team, scoring eight goals and 18 points in 11 games. He moved up to the Under-18 late in the season, putting up three points in his only regular-season game. He went on to score four goals and 10 points in seven playoff games.

Our Full Scouting Report is here Marat Khusnutdinov Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #42

Reactions: greasysnapper

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
They don't always have his best development in mind, they very well could think he's ready for the KHL, but they already have one of the better teams every year so he's less likely to make it

Reactions: greasysnapper

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
Took me way too long to find this thread

Marat is elite, I will not accept any other response!

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
They already undervalued him this season by giving him 3rd line minutes. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it again.
He played 15 minutes per game it is good enough for player in stacked team. Next season he may be used in VHL at another level against men. Also SKA players have an access to the ice and personal coaches 24/7 and top talents develop well. You can see examples like Podkolzin, Marchenko, Morozov, Galenyuk.
I am not a fan of SKA, actually I hate their policy to buy a lot of players using power of Russian Hockey boss Roman Rotenberg (at the same time boss of SKA), but SKA recently started to create all the opportunities for young players to develop.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Curious if the Sharks are one of the teams that have Marat high on their list… In the last year we’ve drafted Timur Ibragimov and signed both Nikolai Knyzhov and Alexei Melnichuk, all from the SKA system.

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
Curious if the Sharks are one of the teams that have Marat high on their list… In the last year we’ve drafted Timur Ibragimov and signed both Nikolai Knyzhov and Alexei Melnichuk, all from the SKA system.

I've been hearing at least one team has him ranked in the 1st round, I could definitely see SJ picking him, just wondering if he'll be available by the time that TBL pick rolls around, he's been one of the biggest risers over the year.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Right now that pick would be 26th if they do the draft based on points percentage. If he goes before then that’s a pretty big rise for sure. Suppose if they really value him they could package the Tampa first and their second to move up and select him.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I've been hearing at least one team has him ranked in the 1st round, I could definitely see SJ picking him, just wondering if he'll be available by the time that TBL pick rolls around, he's been one of the biggest risers over the year.
Kinda hope we wait till pick 35 for him, but our russian scout has been watching his team all year so id bet he has a good impression of all the players on it

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
Right now that pick would be 26th if they do the draft based on points percentage. If he goes before then that’s a pretty big rise for sure. Suppose if they really value him they could package the Tampa first and their second to move up and select him.

20ish-60ish is pretty much a crap shoot. I can't see SJ making that kind of trade, too many good players available in the 26-40 range. But who knows, we've seen weirder things happen.

Reactions: themelkman

gusev nikita

Apr 27, 2020
moscow
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-the-hockey-writers-mock-draft/
25) Minnesota Wild (Via PIT): Marat Khusnutdinov

THW Writer: Justin Haddad
The name of the game for the Minnesota Wild is upside. This team is in dire need of high ceiling centers and Marat Khusnutdinov fits the bill. There will be a lot of teams that will shy away from him because of his small 5-foot-9, 165-pound frame, but his stature is deceptive on tape because of his highly competitive nature and aggressive style of play on both ends of the ice. He has an air of confidence about him which is evident on film with his high hockey IQ, fantastic vision, and creativeness. The Wild need to replenish their depth at center in the prospect pool and they do just that with both Lapierre and Khusnutdinov in the first round.
Marat_Khusnutdinov_Russia_1-575x431.jpeg

Marat Khusnutdinov of Team Russia (Russia Hockey/FHR.RU)
Bell’s Take
The Wild take another great forward here with Khusnutdinov and add to an incredibly growing forward corps in Kirill Kaprizov, Matthew Boldy, Adam Beckman, and Lapierre from the 11th pick. Marat brings in an extremely high compete level that he brings every shift. He’s a very in-your-face player that I’m convinced will be a fan favourite. He’ll likely take some time to reach the NHL, but this is a great pickup by Minnesota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad