C/RW Maddox Fleming - Univ of Notre Dame (2022 undrafted)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some quotes from Fleming on playing with Shattuck's prep team, plus being named to Team USA for the YOG.
"Actually, at the start of the year it wasn’t comfortable at all," Fleming said. "I didn’t play well in our first two games, it was a huge adjustment. Everything was new, practicing every day, living away from home.

"But I couldn’t have wished it to be any different. It helped me so much, I realized it’s going to be different, that I had to work harder, earn my place, that I'm not given anything. It's been cool to earn the respect of the staff and the guys."

I'd heard he's an incredibly hard worker and a rink rat and his quotes only reinforce that idea. Certainly seems to have a good head on his shoulders, which could take him really far with his skill set.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Some quotes from Fleming on playing with Shattuck's prep team, plus being named to Team USA for the YOG.

I'd heard he's an incredibly hard worker and a rink rat and his quotes only reinforce that idea. Certainly seems to have a good head on his shoulders, which could take him really far with his skill set.

Yes this is true, he really is a rink rat. I mentioned this earlier in this thread.

At least according to a "family friend" (who is also a scout in the Q) tweeted that, also it seems to be his nick name as well (rink rat)
he basically spends his entire free time on skates, practicing, practicing, practicing, spending time with rink workers, etc. etc.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Shattuck leads 3-0 after first, 2 or 3 points for Artem Shlaine (1 goal at least)

Shattuck's 1st line: Kunz-Shlaine-Wallace, 2nd line: Kwapick-Fleming-Buss
- Maddox plays as a LW on PP, not sure which he is on, 1st or 2nd.
- Shattuck's 2nd goal was on PP, Fleming was on the ice, but didn't score a point.

I think he won 3 out of 6 face-offs in period 1. Had 1 sog (blue line), wasn't much of a shot thou.
Had 1 strong shift, 3 on 1 attack, where Maddox played nicely the puck to Buss, Buss couldn't score.
- he looks pretty strong for 15 year old, he won all but 1 of his puck battles, in that what he lost,
he lost the puck pretty easily thou, had one great look on the first PP i think, but he passed the puck
where he should of just shoot the puck

I'd say pretty meh period from Maddox. Didn't get much ice time in the beginning but played more as the period progressed.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
4-1 Shattuck lead after 2, Artem Shlaine with 3 or 4 points, that Moscow kid is pretty darn good at hockey thou,
2 really sweet dishes in this game already, Sabres best player in this game after 2

Much better period from Maddox. Although made one mistake which led to his linemate to make a another mistake
which led to a counter attack, from where Cushing scored their 1st only goal
- had 1 giveaway on PP. few times (2 or 3) has made the wrong/bad choice with the puck, with correct choice's
should/could have 1+1 in this game after 2 (1+2 if Buss could of scored from that nice feed in 1st period)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
About 3 minutes left, Cushing gets a PP. Shattuck 5-2 lead, Shlaine 4 or 5 points in this game.

Maddox has had only 4 shifts in this period (late 2nd period he was dropped first to 3rd then to 4th line in the 3rd)
- he had one 2 min shift in the 3rd thou, which raises his total ice time some, around 8 minutes (8-9) of ice rime in this game

...edit: Maddox had a breakaway in the dying seconds of the game, beat the goalie, couldn't beat the post. (5-2 W for Shattuck)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1st period was meh, had a one great shift, where his linemate should of scored on a 3-1 attack
2nd period was best of him (even if with his mistakes), could/should of had 1 goal, 1 assist in the 2nd
3rd period didn't get many shifts, that 2 min shift was good (mostly),... and obviously that unsuccessful breakaway...

2+2 was in the looks, ended with 0+0 with -2

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Well, those 3 games didn't go so well (stat wisely) 2 goals, 0 assists, 2 points in 3 games.
Shattuck scored 22 goals for, in those 3 games. Shlaine scored 10 points, so did the d-man Morrow...

Maddox is now 4th in points but is already 12 points behind Shlaine.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
so is SAC the shattack of the north?
Very different situations. Shattuck has 4 teams that are as relevant as it gets for scouts whereas SAC primarily has the prep team. Shattuck is so loaded at the lower age levels they lose top players to NTDP and other teams very often before they play for SSM's top/oldest team whereas SAC seems to load up on talented older players like 16-18 year olds. For example Maddox Fleming is almost 99% gone to NTDP next year but they have second tier u15/u16 players who could come up to prep. I'm not sure how many players on that top SAC team played there for 3 years for example. SAC is certainly carving out a space for itself as the top Canadian prep school though and if they can continue to be appealing then maybe they will have a shot at the next big name from maritimes or elsewhere like mackinnon or crosby who went to shattuck. They did have Newhook on the lower team for a year. Two players they should have been gotten IMO would be the fantilli brothers (who went to kimball union in new hampshire) if they were a kind of 'shattuck' of the north

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Very different situations. Shattuck has 4 teams that are as relevant as it gets for scouts whereas SAC primarily has the prep team. Shattuck is so loaded at the lower age levels they lose top players to NTDP and other teams very often before they play for SSM's top/oldest team whereas SAC seems to load up on talented older players like 16-18 year olds. For example Maddox Fleming is almost 99% gone to NTDP next year but they have second tier u15/u16 players who could come up to prep. I'm not sure how many players on that top SAC team played there for 3 years for example. SAC is certainly carving out a space for itself as the top Canadian prep school though and if they can continue to be appealing then maybe they will have a shot at the next big name from maritimes or elsewhere like mackinnon or crosby who went to shattuck. Two players they should have been gotten IMO would be the fantilli brothers (who went to kimball union in new hampshire) if they were a kind of 'shattuck' of the north

Now i understand the post above. Thank you. You sure do know tons about NA junior/college, etc.etc. hockey tealhockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->