C/LW Vasily Glotov - HC Sochi, KHL (2016, 190th, BUF)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, he was born on September, 4th, 1997, so as I understand he was eligible for a previous draft, but wasn't picked. As far as I understand, he's still eligible for U18 World Championship. Right now he's the 3rd in scoring in the MHL (23 + 31 in 38 games). He's good hands and skating, a little bit small (5'10'', 155 lbs), but will obviously bulk.

Here is his coast-to-coast goal agaisnt MHL leading team.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well, he was born on September, 4th, 2017, so as I understand he was eligible for a previous draft, but wasn't picked. As far as I understand, he's still eligible for U18 World Championship.
I think 1997.

And he is not eligible for U18's, too old. Last years was 1997, this year 1998. It goes with birth year.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
and his MHL statistics is amazing for his age.
He's 18 not 16 :).
Guys like Varfolomeev and Okulov had similar stats couple of years ago. Glotov plays in the team when one line basically do all the scoring. The line with overager Feklistov.
I doubt Glotov will be drafted this year, maybe next if he'll make the world juniors team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's 18 not 16 :).
Guys like Varfolomeev and Okulov had similar stats couple of years ago. Glotov plays in the team when one line basically do all the scoring. The line with overager Feklistov.
I doubt Glotov will be drafted this year, maybe next if he'll make the world juniors team.

PPG pace is very good for 18 yo in the MHL. Almost 1.5 PPG pace for 18 yo in the MHL I call amazing.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
What's the point to come to CHL as 19 yo? I think, he could play in the AHL.

If you're not ready for the AHL, but want to learn the NA game, it's your best bet. I imagine, based on the fact that he's an OA 7th round pick, that he'll probably spend a few more years in Russia and the Sabres will sign him whenever they think he's ready to play in the NHL. I don't know what the Sabres are actually doing with him though.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
What's the point to come to CHL as 19 yo? I think, he could play in the AHL.

If you're not ready for the AHL, but want to learn the NA game, it's your best bet. I imagine, based on the fact that he's an OA 7th round pick, that he'll probably spend a few more years in Russia and the Sabres will sign him whenever they think he's ready to play in the NHL. I don't know what the Sabres are actually doing with him though.
As others have said, probably a size concern with Glotov, maybe NA rink or English acclimation too, idk? I thought it'd be another MHL year personally if he didn't get selected today.

Sabres were working to bring him over for development camp is all that Greg Royce said post-draft: "A little bit of an unknown. Anders [Forsberg] and myself, we've seen him quite a few times. He's a 5.10, 5.11, little guy. Dynamic, very skilled, creates from nothing. I think he's one of those hidden gems that we feel very pleased that we get him here. He'll be here for development camp. We're hoping to get the paperwork all done, but I think people will be very pleased when they see his skills."

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So Gaudreau hasn't been killed in the NHL yet with his 157 lbs, and Glotov will be killed in the AHL with his 160?

Just because Gaudreau did it doesn't mean everyone can. He's one of the hardest-to-hit players I've ever seen. He was also 21 when he entered the NHL, and had played North American-style hockey his whole life. The AHL is a more violent league with lots of goons looking to make their mark. I don't think it's a good place for players who are 18, 19 unless they're physically mature.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Just because Gaudreau did it doesn't mean everyone can. He's one of the hardest-to-hit players I've ever seen. He was also 21 when he entered the NHL, and had played North American-style hockey his whole life. The AHL is a more violent league with lots of goons looking to make their mark. I don't think it's a good place for players who are 18, 19 unless they're physically mature.

Marner is 163, and Toronto fans are sure, he's NHL ready... AHL is full of goons, but it's so much slower, than NHL, that if you can't avoid those goons, you shouldn't even hope to play in the NHL.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
It sounds like playing for Cape Breton is Glotov's plan for 2016-17:
Glotov, who turns 19 in September, plans to report to Sydney for the coming 2016-17 season, Cape Breton coach and general manager Marc-Andre Dumont reported Tuesday after speaking with the five-foot-11, 160-pound Russian.

"He made the commitment to come to Cape Breton a few months ago," Dumont said. "It was just a question of making sure he was still available at (No.) 36, when we were picking. He was drafted by Buffalo on Saturday. We knew that there was interest from NHL teams towards him.

"He's mature, too. He's (turning) 19 years old, so he's going to be able to give us good support up front next year. We all know that we have a few (key) guys that are departing up front, like Max Lazarev and Evgeny Svechnikov."

Glotov has spent the past two seasons with Serebryanye Lvy St. Petersburg in the Russian junior league. He scored 23 goals and 55 points in 42 games this past winter.

"He's a very exciting forward to watch," Dumont said. "He's got great speed, great hands. He's a hard worker.

"I spoke to Vasily about a half hour ago. I had a 15-minute conversation with him and he's really excited (about coming to Cape Breton). He's got pretty good English."
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1376356-screaming-eagles-restock-their-russian-cupboard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->