C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He's going to be a fine 2nd line centre imo. Rangers still need a 1C prospect badly.
Chytil has 1C potential but even if he doesn’t pan out, 2019 draft has a ton of potential 1C’s and we’re likely picking 5-10 again

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL yet. The game is too fast for him. What do you do?
I can’t comment on his game today because I saw the last period but here’s my 2 cents on Lias
I think he’ll have a similar trajectory as Timo Meier, in some ways they’re similar

For Lias, he’s a bit of a powerforward (new age powerforward)/two way guy. His defense and grit has been on display but his offense isn’t there. That’s because he isn’t being used right. With Lias, even through highlights alone you can see how gifted of a tipper/redirector he is, he’s a net front guy who scores dirty goals. We haven’t seen him employed there. Second, he needs to find space to get his shot off, his shot is powerful and has velocity, that’s been evident in the very few times he gets open for a shot it’s usually a good placed shot that the goalie stops, he needs to get it off his stick quicker though. He has some nice powerforward-esque moves (like the Forsberg reverse hit he uses quite often and he drives to the net with the puck a lot as well.) He’s an absolute bull on the puck as well, it’s very hard to knock him off. As he grows he’ll learn to use it to his advantage and he’ll learn to get open a bit better. His defensive game is promising for sure and he’s had quite a few steals/pickpockets. I’m not worried about him at all. Guys like him who aren’t the best of skaters/don’t have speed usually take a bit longer to adjust just because everyone out there is moving faster

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think letting him do really good and get large minuets playing in Hartford would be best rn. They could call him back up later in the season

I think what they are doing right now is the worst solution. I want him getting big minutes somewhere and getting a chance to succeed. If we want to force him into the top 6/9 with PP time on the NHL team in a role he hasn't earned, I won't complain. We've given that role to other players in the past who didn't earn it and probably still do with players like Namestnikov and Vesey. If they send him to Hartford and let him do well there, I don't mind that either.

I don't think it helps him to play on the fourth line with no PP time, very low minutes and the requirement that he has to play really well to have any impact because we all know he's not getting any free points playing with 4th liners.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can’t comment on his game today because I saw the last period but here’s my 2 cents on Lias
I think he’ll have a similar trajectory as Timo Meier, in some ways they’re similar

For Lias, he’s a bit of a powerforward (new age powerforward)/two way guy. His defense and grit has been on display but his offense isn’t there. That’s because he isn’t being used right. With Lias, even through highlights alone you can see how gifted of a tipper/redirector he is, he’s a net front guy who scores dirty goals. We haven’t seen him employed there. Second, he needs to find space to get his shot off, his shot is powerful and has velocity, that’s been evident in the very few times he gets open for a shot it’s usually a good placed shot that the goalie stops, he needs to get it off his stick quicker though. He has some nice powerforward-esque moves (like the Forsberg reverse hit he uses quite often and he drives to the net with the puck a lot as well.) He’s an absolute bull on the puck as well, it’s very hard to knock him off. As he grows he’ll learn to use it to his advantage and he’ll learn to get open a bit better. His defensive game is promising for sure and he’s had quite a few steals/pickpockets. I’m not worried about him at all. Guys like him who aren’t the best of skaters/don’t have speed usually take a bit longer to adjust just because everyone out there is moving faster

I think thats overly optimistic. I never thought his potential was that high, so I'm not all of a sudden going to believe he's going to be a top liner when he can't stick in the NHL at this point. The difference between him and Chytil and Howden is pretty startling. They are all pretty similar in age, and the top 10 pick is the one who rightfully is getting the lesser role of the three. The two late firsts are playing much better at the NHL level. I think some of it is skating, but thats not all it is.

I thought his ceiling/floor was 2nd line/3rd line when we drafted him, and I think my opinion as of now is that he'll be a 2nd/3rd line tweener with a slight lean towards third line, so I think my opinion of his game has slightly decreased since the draft, and I wasn't that high on the pick anyway. He's looking like a back half of the first re-draft type of player. I don't think his shot is as good as you think it is, and I don't think he has as high of a hockey IQ as some thought. At the same time, he was producing in the AHL and has produced too well for years for me to think he'll be a bottom six forward.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I think thats overly optimistic. I never thought his potential was that high, so I'm not all of a sudden going to believe he's going to be a top liner when he can't stick in the NHL at this point. The difference between him and Chytil and Howden is pretty startling. They are all pretty similar in age, and the top 10 pick is the one who rightfully is getting the lesser role of the three. The two late firsts are playing much better at the NHL level. I think some of it is skating, but thats not all it is.

I thought his ceiling/floor was 2nd line/3rd line when we drafted him, and I think my opinion as of now is that he'll be a 2nd/3rd line tweener with a slight lean towards third line, so I think my opinion of his game has slightly decreased since the draft, and I wasn't that high on the pick anyway. He's looking like a back half of the first re-draft type of player. I don't think his shot is as good as you think it is, and I don't think he has as high of a hockey IQ as some thought. At the same time, he was producing in the AHL and has produced too well for years for me to think he'll be a bottom six forward.
I think if Lias was put in Howden's role he would do about as good, but there are things Lias does need to work on. While I am slightly more optimistic on the upside I view him as a solid 50 points ish second liner.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

I didn't mean he was going to end up Timo Meier level but the development and how they eventually break out/figure out their games will be similar

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Peeps

May 24, 2017
I mean he was playing pro during his draft year.

He has no problem playing AHL or NHL this year.

Problem is NYR management. Its either top 9 NHL ALL THE F TIME or AHL 1st line 1st PP 1st PK.

It's not complicated....

Seems like it is.

He was doing fine in the AHL. He should've stayed there the whole season. That's the problem.

4th line minutes won't grow a prospect.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not been good since being drafted. He's had a worse 2018-19 season than 2017-18 season, in terms of AHL stats and he's not shown the ability to be more than a bottom line NHL'er at this point in his NHL games. He doesn't even showcase much talent. Chytil and Howden aren't yet good NHL'ers, but you at least see flashes of ability from time to time that made them first round picks. Andersson shows none of that.

3. New Rule: No more hype from anyone in the organization about Lias Andersson’s great off-the-ice progress because, honestly, it only serves to set up everyone for what at this point is an inevitable and almost immediate letdown. This is a player who was rated highly by every organization in the NHL, even if not to the extreme where the Rangers had the center at seventh-overall in 2017. At this still-early stage, however, Andersson’s game in the SEL and for Sweden in international competition has not translated to the Broadway stage. Of course there is room for improvement, of course it is ludicrous to write him off at the age of 20 and it serves no purpose to relitigate the draft, but Andersson appears to lack explosiveness in his skating and creativity in his game. Oh, is this the part where I’m bound by law to credit his competitiveness and work ethic? Then, too, getting under 10 minutes a night on the fourth line as Andersson was awarded in the three games (declining from 9:16 to 8:57 to 6:59) before being designated as a healthy scratch against the Oilers wouldn’t seem to present the optimum opportunity for success. I not only understand Quinn’s commitment to approaching these games as meaningful ones and using the rest of the season as a platform for next season, but endorse it, and won’t the coach sleep easier knowing that? But is it honestly the worst idea to give Andersson a shot at playing top-six (maybe with Vladislav Namestnikov and either Ryan Strome or Jesper Fast) and see whether he can elevate his game when surrounded by better players and given more responsibility? What is there to lose other than another game?

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/rangers-will-remember-this-chris-kreider-disappearing-act/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad