C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Lias has not looked good at the NHL level. Let’s hope he can find his game soon, Rangers can’t afford to have a top 10 pick go to waste.

fortunately, their 21st overall pick is looking like *he* should have been the one to go 7th.

And aside from Chytil and late-riser in Necas, there is nobody that is going to be clearly better from the 2017 1st round that went after him.

a bad draft year in general.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
fortunately, their 21st overall pick is looking like *he* should have been the one to go 7th.

And aside from Chytil and late-riser in Necas, there is nobody that is going to be clearly better from the 2017 1st round that went after him.

Come on now, this is ridiculous. He’d be lucky to go top 30 in a re-draft, and Chytil as 7th in a re-draft also seems a little generous.

There’s no way to cover up how bad the pick was botched. It was clear at the time of it, as well.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

I disagree about 2017 being a bad draft year, and also disagree on Chytil going 7th in a redraft.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

Suzuki? Mittlestadt? Jokiharju? Frost? Thomas? Brannstrom? Rasmussen? Poehling?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it still too early to consider him a bust?

I don't think it's too early. When you pick in the top 10, you are trying to pick at least a top half of the league player. Is there even a 20% chance of that anymore? The thing that evidently the team didn't understand and most people would've said at the draft was that the chances of that happening even before he was drafted were not that high. The chances of that after he was drafted and has been rather mediocre for more than two seasons are even lower.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
All those players have done as much as Andersson in the NHL
2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

He has 9 points in 66 NHL games. Mittlestadt has 37 points in 103 NHL games. Thomas has 37 points in 86 games. Jokiharju has 19 points in 58 games.

And that's not mentioning the players drafted after him who have had more productive d+1 and d+2 seasons that strongly suggest that they have higher ceilings than he does. I more have a gripe with the user I replied to's statement that "nobody is going to be clearly better from the 2017 1st round that went after him", because yes, Frost, Brannstrom, Poehling haven't had a sample size of NHL games and point totals to compare to Andersson's, but they definitely have higher ceilings and are most likely going to be better than he is in the NHL.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He has 9 points in 66 NHL games. Mittlestadt has 37 points in 103 NHL games. Thomas has 37 points in 86 games. Jokiharju has 19 points in 58 games.

And that's not mentioning the players drafted after him who have had more productive d+1 and d+2 seasons that strongly suggest that they have higher ceilings than he does. I more have a gripe with the user I replied to's statement that "nobody is going to be clearly better from the 2017 1st round that went after him", because yes, Frost, Brannstrom, Poehling haven't had a sample size of NHL games and point totals to compare to Andersson's, but they definitely have higher ceilings and are most likely going to be better than he is in the NHL.

I watch Brannstrom nightly... he needs AHL time badly... a lot of the guys after Andersson was picked need seasoning

and I’m not sure the players that have played like Mittlestadt being on pace for 30 points is something to clamour to

if Andersson was not rushed to the nhl and had been seasoned in Sweden before coming to NA this year... he’d be viewed as highly as Owen Tippet imo

Reactions: Wings4Life

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I watch Brannstrom nightly... he needs AHL time badly... a lot of the guys after Andersson was picked need seasoning

and I’m not sure the players that have played like Mittlestadt being on pace for 30 points is something to clamour to

if Andersson was not rushed to the nhl and had been seasoned in Sweden before coming to NA this year... he’d be viewed as highly as Owen Tippet imo

Oh for sure. Just to clarify what I meant, it's the "no one is going to be clearly better than Andersson drafted after him in the first round" quote I take issue with, I don't think most of the players I listed are clearly better than him right now, but some of them will be eventually. Brannstrom is not necessarily a better player or more seasoned for the NHL than Andersson right now, but given his trajectory and AHL production as a 19 year old defenseman, it's fair to say his ceiling is definitely higher.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Oh for sure. Just to clarify what I meant, it's the "no one is going to be clearly better than Andersson drafted after him in the first round" quote I take issue with, I don't think most of the players I listed are clearly better than him right now, but some of them will be eventually. Brannstrom is not necessarily a better player or more seasoned for the NHL than Andersson right now, but given his trajectory and AHL production as a 19 year old defenseman, it's fair to say his ceiling is definitely higher.

fair enough... Say Andersson produces as much as Tippett or Rasmussen this year in the A.. does that change your views on him

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
fair enough... Say Andersson produces as much as Tippett or Rasmussen this year in the A.. does that change your views on him

Just like Andersson, Rasmussen was kinda guilty of being rushed in the NHL when he wasn't ready (only two options were Tri-City and Detroit, and they didn't want to send him back to the WHL so he would just dominate 16-17 year olds.) and playing with terrible 4th liners getting only 8 minutes a night. He's done well in the AHL this season as should be expected, but he's already had two injuries already this season, which is definitely worrying.

I haven't watched Tippett since his rookie year, unfortunately. Didn't see much of Mississauga last season and haven't watched film on him in Springfield, but he looks like he's progressing and improving fine just by looking at his stats. I think Tippett was slightly overrated going into the draft, but he looks to be on his way to be a decent middle sixer, possibly a second liner.

Back to the topic of Andersson matching their production, I don't know. I really don't like what I've seen from him in the NHL and I'm not hopeful he's going to be anything aside from a 4th line player. But neither of them have definitely proven they're better NHL players than Andersson, so it's not unreasonable to rank all three players similarly. Development always varies from player to player. I'm just not confident he'll pan out at the end of the day.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

I don't like Mittlestadt's overall game. Thomas only has 4 points in 16 games, and Jokiharju has 7 in 20.

This draft really wasn't that impressive.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
He sucks. Mittelstadt isn't great but at least he is a serviceable third liner which is more than what we can say for Andersson.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I don't think it's too early. When you pick in the top 10, you are trying to pick at least a top half of the league player. Is there even a 20% chance of that anymore? The thing that evidently the team didn't understand and most people would've said at the draft was that the chances of that happening even before he was drafted were not that high. The chances of that after he was drafted and has been rather mediocre for more than two seasons are even lower.

The important thing in revisiting that draft is the context. The Rangers wanted Pettersson and he was gone by their pick. Chytil was regarded as a bit more boom-bust with Lias seeming to be more of a sure thing. There was no guessing on their part. Lias was regarded as the less offensively-talented prospected, but he was valued for a 2-way game and his leadership qualities. Lias was the safe pick that allowed for the swing on Chytil. At minimum, they felt they were getting a player who could fill a top-9 role with the possibility of a top-6 role if everything broke their way.

I still do believe Lias can be successful. He might not ever hit a top line ceiling (nor do I think that was ever an expectation), but I feel quite certain he will be an NHL player. People were labeling Chytil a bust just a month ago before the AHL time, and Lias looked like a totally different player back in camp. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but AHL time will do Lias well, and there's plenty of time for him to turn into a successful NHL player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The important thing in revisiting that draft is the context. The Rangers wanted Pettersson and he was gone by their pick. Chytil was regarded as a bit more boom-bust with Lias seeming to be more of a sure thing. There was no guessing on their part. Lias was regarded as the less offensively-talented prospected, but he was valued for a 2-way game and his leadership qualities. Lias was the safe pick that allowed for the swing on Chytil. At minimum, they felt they were getting a player who could fill a top-9 role with the possibility of a top-6 role if everything broke their way.

I still do believe Lias can be successful. He might not ever hit a top line ceiling (nor do I think that was ever an expectation), but I feel quite certain he will be an NHL player. People were labeling Chytil a bust just a month ago before the AHL time, and Lias looked like a totally different player back in camp. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but AHL time will do Lias well, and there's plenty of time for him to turn into a successful NHL player.

While I agree and have long said that they panicked at 7 with no idea what to do when Pettersson was picked at 5, I don’t think anyone would’ve known whether Chytil would be available at 21. I don’t think teams make certain picks in the first round to be able to make a different pick later in the draft.

I also agree with you that Andersson will be an NHL player, and I think at this point having him play top minutes in the AHL makes the most sense. Maybe at the trade deadline when we trade away some players, he’ll be back. That could allow him to play a top 9 role, which we really need to see him in. He might ultimately not be a top 9 NHL’er. He may never even be better than a dime a dozen 4th liner that plays 200-300 NHL games, but I don’t think he’s been done any favors with how he’s been used. Until we see him in the top 9, we can’t properly evaluate his potential.

Quinn talks about earning roles, but if that’s so, what business does Fast have on the 1st line playing 16:31 per game? One of the issues we’ve had under Quinn developing younger players is that Fast has been guaranteed a spot in the top 9 with top 9 minutes. He’s an adequate player, but he’s a career 28 point per 82 game player in the last season of his deal. We are a rebuilding team. Andersson should’ve had a place in the top 9 as a winger and Fast should’ve been a fourth line winger. Maybe with that we’d have different results for Andersson. And if not, at least we know he’s not a top 9 player, but if you never give him a chance, how will we ever know? This has constantly irked me. At least with Howden, who also hasn’t earned the role Quinn has given him since he got here, he’s a young player with theoretical potential. Andersson has gotten a raw deal from Quinn.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Are we sure the Rangers panicked?

McKenzie tweeted out during the draft that the Rangers' draft board was Pettersson, Glass, Andersson, Suzuki.

Pettersson and Glass went down in order at 5 and 6. Not sure how they would be panicking since their next BPA was available for them following those picks.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
While I agree and have long said that they panicked at 7 with no idea what to do when Pettersson was picked at 5, I don’t think anyone would’ve known whether Chytil would be available at 21. I don’t think teams make certain picks in the first round to be able to make a different pick later in the draft.

I also agree with you that Andersson will be an NHL player, and I think at this point having him play top minutes in the AHL makes the most sense. Maybe at the trade deadline when we trade away some players, he’ll be back. That could allow him to play a top 9 role, which we really need to see him in. He might ultimately not be a top 9 NHL’er. He may never even be better than a dime a dozen 4th liner that plays 200-300 NHL games, but I don’t think he’s been done any favors with how he’s been used. Until we see him in the top 9, we can’t properly evaluate his potential.

Quinn talks about earning roles, but if that’s so, what business does Fast have on the 1st line playing 16:31 per game? One of the issues we’ve had under Quinn developing younger players is that Fast has been guaranteed a spot in the top 9 with top 9 minutes. He’s an adequate player, but he’s a career 28 point per 82 game player in the last season of his deal. We are a rebuilding team. Andersson should’ve had a place in the top 9 as a winger and Fast should’ve been a fourth line winger. Maybe with that we’d have different results for Andersson. And if not, at least we know he’s not a top 9 player, but if you never give him a chance, how will we ever know? This has constantly irked me. At least with Howden, who also hasn’t earned the role Quinn has given him since he got here, he’s a young player with theoretical potential. Andersson has gotten a raw deal from Quinn.

Like IrishGuy42, I don't think this was a panic pick at all. It would be incredibly foolish to panic-pick, never mind in the top 10. Lias had the defensive side and the leadership, and he took a big offensive step in his draft year. The problem is that what made him so consistent--a strong ethic, 2-way skill--has been somewhat invisible at the NHL level, and when the offense hasn't been coming, that's a pretty big problem. The assignments don't help, but if the coaching staff feel his work ethic is lacking, that's a major issue when that was one of his real strengths.

Picking what they felt was a sure thing allowed them the risk to go boom-bust when the latter half of the first tends to feature risers and fallers anyway. We would've been choosing from those sorts of players in any case. Rangers typically pick BPA as of late.

In Quinn's eyes, a player like Fast has a tireless work ethic and will not take a shift off. From his most recent comments, it's looking like he felt that Lias was not consistent in his efforts and thus did not deserve the role. I agree with you in that I think his assignments were questionable, but coaching is likely seeing things we're not. Not much we can do about it with our armchair assessments.

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad