C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty sure he can be a 2C in the NHL while producing 50 to 60 pts each year. While playing PK and PP. Just a complete forward. What Horvat is now.

Maybe Lias doesn't have the same raw talent as Bo, but he can do what he's doing now, if the coaches puts him in the top 6 with good offensive players.

He should play a bigger role than he has, but he doesn't possess all that much hockey talent for a league like the NHL. Bad skater, very bland offensive game with no standout tools. He was overrated to begin with, if he's to be held up to the 7th draft slot. He also hasn't developed well since being drafted. He'll be lucky to ever hit 50 points. 30-40 as a third line winger seems a lot more likely.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Okay? He still played 70 games in Milwaukee. Plus 17 season after that. You can't say that didn't do anything for him.

Did I say that? I'm pretty sure the question was whether the AHL or SHL is better for a players development. Arvidsson was already a star player in the AHL before he even played a game, everyone knew he would score and it's not like he set the NHL on fire after a 55 game AHL season. He took the next step after his NHL rookie season. Andersson is a good example of a player leaving too early, he was 19 coming off a so-so season in the SHL. Very different situation.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Did I say that? I'm pretty sure the question was whether the AHL or SHL is better for a players development. Arvidsson was already a star player in the AHL before he even played a game, everyone knew he would score and it's not like he set the NHL on fire after a 55 game AHL season. He took the next step after his NHL rookie season. Andersson is a good example of a player leaving too early, he was 19 coming off a so-so season in the SHL. Very different situation.
Okay? Granlund lit up Liiga and could have been concidered a star. Still had to go through AHL.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, it does. Just because you are a star somewhere else does not mean you are NHL ready with nothing to learn.

What I'm saying is this: Arvidsson would not have been a worse player or less NHL ready had he played those 76 games in the SHL instead of the AHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers have to trade this guy.

They are doing him a huge disservice with how he's being developed. He's played on the fourth line all season with a rotating cast of AHL Goon Michael Haley, 7th defensemen Brendan Smith, and Gregg McKegg whose a good AHL'er/bad NHL'er. I'm not sure he's ever been on a PP unit for even a game during his career. If he has, it's been a game or two. Meanwhile, Brendan Lemieux has been on the PP all season, and Jesper Fast and Brendan Smith are used on the PP before Andersson.

The team is developing him as a 4th line center. 7th pick in the draft. I'm not the biggest fan of Andersson, but he showed some improvement in preseason, and then has been totally misused as a 4th line center with less than 10 minutes per game, no PP time and playing with AHL players on his line.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
WTF are you talking about?

HV71 won the LeMat trophy his draft year, came over after he got hurt with Frolunda.

Andersson was a #2 C playing 4th most minutes among centers on HV71 while not always even playing center? Great for him, NHL-ready for sure.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I think he should be given a bigger role, the way DQ has managed him has been very odd to me for sure. He's very good potential imo.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's struggled and I don't think he's going to be much better than a dime a dozen low-end third liner, but the team has also given him no chance to succeed this season. It's hard to criticize the guy much when he plays 8 minutes per game on a line with a 7th defensemen and an AHL goon. At least in the AHL he'll be able to play big minutes, play the PP, and play on a line with better players.

Reactions: bl02

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hmm, looks like one of these players where my first impression was correct. Watching him during summer showcase immediately after draft, I thought that his potential ceiling was that of a 3rd liner.

Nevertheless, sending him down to AHL is the correct move if they're only going to be playing him for 4 minutes.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->