C/LW Cole Perfetti - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2020, 10th, WPG)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Cole has played on the Vaughan Kings AAA Minor midget team racking up 125 pts in 52 goals and 73 assists on the same team as Ryan O’Rourke and has already contributed to 6 points in 5 games with the Whitby Storm in the OJHL which is quite impressive for a kid who just turned 16.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I like him. I probably wouldn't take him top ten in the OHL draft this year. Somewhere around tenth. Could be a second round NHL or later. But who knows.
Just for comparison. Jeff O'Neill at 15 led pretty much the same league in scoring.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
His biggest deficiency is his skating, his first few steps are pretty muddy. Reaches a solid top end speed, though, and his edge work is very good. He's a real gamer though, so I wouldn't bet against him improving in this area.

Reactions: Tryamkin

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Played on the Vaughan Kings MM team this year. The title of the thread is a little misleading. He was an AP to the Whitby Fury and played 5 games there, but played this season in the GTHL with Vaughan.

He is rated 3rd by OHL Central Scouting and every team would likely have him in the top 5 if mot for his commitment to the University of Michigan.

Probably the smartest player in the age group with elite stick skills. Does need to work on his first few steps quickness but creates space using good body awareness and deception. Rolls off checks as good as anyone and east west skating is elite. A player that makes those around him better.

Here is a write up from the Scout.ca after the OHL Cup where he was named to All tournament team.

4. Cole Perfetti, C, Vaughan Kings
Perfetti is the engine that drives the Vaughan Kings and led them to the OHL Cup final. He is an elite level talent that has the ability to slow the game down when he has the puck on his stick. With what seems like eyes in the back of his head at times, the way he sees the ice is at the level of a ‘young genius’. With extreme confidence and an abundance of offensive talent, he is always the smartest player on the ice and can make difficult passes look easy. He maintains control of the puck under intense defensive pressure and is able to drive the puck to the net even with defenders hanging off him. No one in the 2002 age group spins off checks as effectively and elegantly as Perfetti. Continues to impress more and more with his scoring prowess, showing a lethal shot that revolves around deception.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
2 goals in his OHL debut just 2 periods in. Saginaw must be glad to have called his bluff.

Got to love his quote after the game too in regards to how badly the Soo beat up on Saginaw in the playoffs last year,

"It was good to get revenge on these guys and bring our game and show that we’re one of the top dogs in the league."

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Got to love his quote after the game too in regards to how badly the Soo beat up on Saginaw in the playoffs last year,

"It was good to get revenge on these guys and bring our game and show that we’re one of the top dogs in the league."
Yeah, it was bold. Gotta remember though, the Soo is a shell of what it was a year ago. Off the top of my head they are missing Hayton, Sandin, Timmins, Raddysh, Katchouk, Hollowell, Gettinger, Kopacka, Verbeek and Villalta. The only really key guy they had in the line-up tonight from last year was Frost.

Either way, good way for Perfetti to start his career in the OHL. I'm very curious to see how Byfield, Stranges, Cuylle and Vierling look this year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2018-19
6.png
Saginaw Spirit
OHL6426
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Off to a good start. Picked #5OA
2017-18
3.png
Vaughan Kings Minor Midget AAA
GTMMHL645273125
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What's the 411 on this kid?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
2018-19
6.png
Saginaw Spirit
OHL6426
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Off to a good start. Picked #5OA
2017-18
3.png
Vaughan Kings Minor Midget AAA
GTMMHL645273125
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
What's the 411 on this kid?
He’s play center with the team. Just a dynamic playmaker. Has incredible hockey IQ and smarts, people around the team are already calling him “genius” and “gifted”. Creates chances everywhere he goes, his fast stickhandling and vision make him a constant playmaking threat.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His biggest deficiency is his skating, his first few steps are pretty muddy. Reaches a solid top end speed, though, and his edge work is very good. He's a real gamer though, so I wouldn't bet against him improving in this area.

I agree with this. Watched him play for the first time today, and I thought he was very good, but as good as he is, you notice his skating is really only about average, and thats for an undersized player. Not hugely undersized and not that bad of a skater, but its going to keep him from being considered a very high pick. I think he's similar in that regard to Nick Suzuki.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
His hockey iq, though, is pretty off the charts. The skating is an issue, but I wouldn't bet against him being a top 10 pick.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Watched him as a minor and once this year in a junior game. All the assessments above are pretty bang on. Elite hockey IQ with average to below average skating (but is of minimal concern due to his elite skillset). Hands and vision are high-end. Would make an honest bet that he is a top-10 pick in 2020

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Probably a good time to dust off this thread.

Wow...

The OHL draft class for next year is just incredible...all of Byfield, Foudy, Drysdale, Perrault, and Perfetti are deserving of top-5 projections at this point.

Given that you could probably fit only two of those into the top-5 right now (with Lafreniere, Lundell, Raymond, etc.), next year’s draft should just be incredible in general. Been looking forward to it for a couple years now and pretty much everyone who I was excited for back then has done nothing but improve. I think it will easily be the best since 2015.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Since January 27th he has 8 g, 11 a, 19 pts, +7 in 11 GP. Got to 27 goals, 22 of which are 5 on 5, to tie Jan Mursak's Spirit rookie record and will no doubt break that very soon. Also Murask did that a year older than Cole. Kid is hitting his stride at a time of the year when most 16 year olds are starting to fade a bit from the wear and tear of their first full season in the OHL.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Since January 27th he has 8 g, 11 a, 19 pts, +7 in 11 GP. Got to 27 goals, 22 of which are 5 on 5, to tie Jan Mursak's Spirit rookie record and will no doubt break that very soon. Also Murask did that a year older than Cole. Kid is hitting his stride at a time of the year when most 16 year olds are starting to fade a bit from the wear and tear of their first full season in the OHL.

‘Hitting his stride’
On topic of stride. How’s this kids skating? I’ve only seen him once this season - back in dec- and my first impression was that it didn’t look great.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
The OHL draft class for next year is just incredible...all of Byfield, Foudy, Drysdale, Perrault, and Perfetti are deserving of top-5 projections at this point.

Given that you could probably fit only two of those into the top-5 right now (with Lafreniere, Lundell, Raymond, etc.), next year’s draft should just be incredible in general. Been looking forward to it for a couple years now and pretty much everyone who I was excited for back then has done nothing but improve. I think it will easily be the best since 2015.

Yup but of all the names youve mentioned you are arguably missing the top prospect in the class ( hint .. he wears stripes::)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
‘Hitting his stride’
On topic of stride. How’s this kids skating? I’ve only seen him once this season - back in dec- and my first impression was that it didn’t look great.

He’s not a bad skater, but he lacks the top gear that most elite prospects have. His average size and speed holds him back from competing at the top of the 2020 draft.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Point per game rookies in the OHL 2010 ->

10-11: 3
Yakupov 101 points (1.55 ppg) - 17 years old the entire season
Galchenyuk 83 points (1.22 ppg) - 16 years old most of the season
Scheifele 75 points (1.13 ppg - 17 years old the entire season

11-12: 1
Faksa 66 points (1.06 ppg) - 17 years old, turned 18 in early January

12-13: 2