LW/C Luca Pinelli - Ottawa 67’s, OHL (2023, 114th, CBJ)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Luca Pinelli at eliteprospects.com

Brother of LA Kings second rounder Francesco Pinelli. - Luca however was a second round pick in the OHL draft and at the time of their drafts, Francesco was seen as the better player. Pinelli is a Very intelligent forward with a real good motor on him. He is a better skater at the same age his brother is, but I wouldn’t classify it as a strength for either player. He possesses a very good shot, and excellent vision on both ends of the ice. I think he’ll end up being a first round calibre talent that slips a little because of the under 6’ + skating concerns combination. Should be interesting to see how he progresses.

OHL Rights: Ottawa 67’s
OHL Draft: Ottawa 67’s (R2, 2021, #28 Overall)

Last edited:
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’ve he’s an undersized player with a bit Of skill. Don’t know if hew I’ll get drafted at this point. He certainly has a chance.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think he's pacing to go in the 2nd round just like his brother.
He's performing just as well as Francesco at the same age, especially when controlling for the quality of team he's playing on.
He might squeak into late 1st - he's going to be the main guy on the Ottawa 67s next year, during his draft year.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Another kid that I can't seem to pinpoint what he will be at the NHL level.

He's small - skating needs work but man is he ever a smart player that is always in a good position to make plays on both ends of the rink. He has a good shot and possesses good vision in finding open teammates.

Reminds me a bit of Nic Petan - He will be a great junior player no doubt but questions revolving around his size and skating will probably cause him to get drafted in the second round on draft day.

I hope he goes to a team that has a legitimate plan for this kid.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Ottawa 67's leading scorer. Why is there not more discussion about him?

Size? Style of play? Skating?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ottawa 67's leading scorer. Why is there not more discussion about him?

Size? Style of play? Skating?

He looks like a good undersized OHL player. I have trouble finding out how he could succeed at the NHL level. Looks like a 4th rounder or beyond, really. If Dumais went in round 3, Pinelli isn't ripping the league quite as much.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He looks like a good undersized OHL player. I have trouble finding out how he could succeed at the NHL level. Looks like a 4th rounder or beyond, really. If Dumais went in round 3, Pinelli isn't ripping the league quite as much.
49th for North American skaters by Central Scouting. Would put him in 3rd or 4th round with International players included.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Pinelli would be an interesting pick in the 4th round imo. He has a high-end offensive toolbox and can create plays offensively, but struggles to separate or create space for himself on the rush as he doesn't really have the acceleration to do so. He does have a great motor, I'll give him that; despite his size, he's not afraid to get in on the forecheck. Defensively, he's been able to contribute within Ottawa's fast-paced puck pursuit game. But his strength really is creating good plays in the o-zone. Maybe a smaller version of another 67 - Tyler Toffoli - would be a good comp, but with a bias towards playmaking (though I'd stress that Pinelli has really good shooting ability). Skating, more so than size, would be my biggest concern with his game. If he can improve in that area he’d have a good chance of making the NHL.

Pinelli's linemate and centre, Vinz Rohrer, was a 3rd rounder last year and should be seen as a better pro prospect imo. From that perspective, 4th round or later might make sense for Pinelli.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Pinelli would be an interesting pick in the 4th round imo. He has a high-end offensive toolbox and can create plays offensively, but struggles to separate or create space for himself on the rush as he doesn't really have the acceleration to do so. He does have a great motor, I'll give him that; despite his size, he's not afraid to get in on the forecheck. Defensively, he's been able to contribute within Ottawa's fast-paced puck pursuit game. But his strength really is creating good plays in the o-zone. Maybe a smaller version of another 67 - Tyler Toffoli - would be a good comp, but with a bias towards playmaking (though I'd stress that Pinelli has really good shooting ability). Skating, more so than size, would be my biggest concern with his game. If he can improve in that area he’d have a good chance of making the NHL.

Pinelli's linemate and centre, Vinz Rohrer, was a 3rd rounder last year and should be seen as a better pro prospect imo. From that perspective, 4th round or later might make sense for Pinelli.
From my perspective, I like Pinelli more than Rohrer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad