C Liam Foudy - London Knights, OHL (2018, 18th, CBJ)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Really? I’ve only seen him play a half dozen times or so, but I really see winger in his future. I’d love to hear your thoughts on his future at center, though. This is intriguing.
I really think that with his speed and strength he has what it takes to hold down the center of the ice well. I guess I can’t count out him playing on the wing, but I really like his playing style off of the center wth Dylan Larkin type speed.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Me "Who?"
My friend: "Geez it's like the Jackets don't even BOTHER to read my mock drafts!"

Also my friend: "Apparently he's good at jumping."

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Me "Who?"
My friend: "Geez it's like the Jackets don't even BOTHER to read my mock drafts!"

Also my friend: "Apparently he's good at jumping."
also good at accelerating and skating because of that lower body strength but yeah, focus how how high he can jump :laugh:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Seen Liam Foudy play over 100 games a s a London Knight.
How many NHL teams wanted him in the 1st Round of the NHL Draft?
Columbus has drafted one of the fastest players who'll be a regular in 2 years.
Basil McCrae knows Foudy very well with his strong connections of the Knights.
Foudy had sky rocketed in the draft rankings with his elite speed and skill level.
He's a freakish athlete with a very high ceiling as an NHL player.
Both his Mom and Dad were professional athletes.
Heck of a pick by the Blue Jackets!

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Absolute Athletic Freakazoid!!
Rico Fata Does Not = Liam Foudy!
Foudy is not just a speed merchant.
Think Dylan Larkin meets Mike Gartner.

He's an excellent puck-handler and play-maker.
Foudy has a very high ceiling as an NHL player in the future.
If Columbus did not take him he would've been drafted between 20-22.
A boat load of NHL Scouts are very high on Foudy and thus Columbus took him @ 18.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Top speed is nice and all, so is athleticism but,.. so far it hasn't translated much in form of goals nor points,
what type of player he is? More of a bottom six two way forward? Bottom six small power forward?

Need to be more productive to become a top six forward.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
He was buried down the lineup on a talented squad for his first 1.5 years. After moving 4 top 6 Fs at the trade deadline he moved up. About a PPG last half of season (alot of highlight reel goals)
Im not as high on him as some London fans (season tic holder as well). He needs to get stronger and win more board battles, one on ones and get to the dirty areas more for my liking. But does possess great acceleration and top speed that gives defenders in the O fits.
Tough one for me to project. CBJ fans will have a much better take after this upcoming jr season as to what type of pro he will make.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Man this was such an insanely bad pick.

Lmao. He hasn't played one game since he's been drafted. I wonder what your thoughts on Pierre-Luc Dubois was this time last year.

Does he need improvements? Sure. But by all accounts he was stuck on a talented team, and proved himself well once he was given a bigger role. Now, I know the counter to this is going to be "if we was that talented he would be playing higher even when the other guys were there" or "he's playing on London, he will always play with talented players, and yet he still didn't produce" and I agree, but I am also not going to ignore his production in the final half of the season. We'll see how it goes this year. But to say it is an insanely bad pick, not even one game into his draft+ year, is absolutely ridiculous for any prospect.

Last edited:

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I watched him play Guelph at the start of the year... he had probably about 5 minutes of ice time till the last 10 minutes of the game when he started getting more due to a blowout and he was one of the best players on either team, i couldn't believe he wasn't getting played more. So i made sure to see London every chance i got after that to see if it was just a good game or he truly was that talented. He wins battles everywhere, shoots the puck very well and creates space for himself using that insane amount of speed. After he got off the fourth line when the team traded most of their stars he was over PPG showed his ability to score goals... Anyone who is saying Foudy doesn't have offensive potential is stat watching and not doing a diligent job about it either.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
People are way too obsessed with goal scoring. On a team like the CBJ after some developmemt 25/25 is not out of the question at all and 50pts in a defense/counter system is what we need there.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I watched him play Guelph at the start of the year... he had probably about 5 minutes of ice time till the last 10 minutes of the game when he started getting more due to a blowout and he was one of the best players on either team, i couldn't believe he wasn't getting played more. So i made sure to see London every chance i got after that to see if it was just a good game or he truly was that talented. He wins battles everywhere, shoots the puck very well and creates space for himself using that insane amount of speed. After he got off the fourth line when the team traded most of their stars he was over PPG showed his ability to score goals... Anyone who is saying Foudy doesn't have offensive potential is stat watching and not doing a diligent job about it either.

Well, i personally didn't know much about him, so...i'm grateful about this info, thank you.
I was sure that there must of been a reason why Columbus picked him so high.

Hockeyprospect.com, Future considerations, ISS Hockey had him go early, mid or late 2nd round.
Not that i base everything on "experts" opinions, i always trust in my own eyes and assessment
though...i do listen to experts as well.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
People are way too obsessed with goal scoring. On a team like the CBJ after some developmemt 25/25 is not out of the question at all and 50pts in a defense/counter system is what we need there.

If you look at the elite forwards in NHL, then almost all of them had a pretty good point production in their draft year. But maybe Foudy could be a exception.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If you look at the elite forwards in NHL, then almost all of them had a pretty good point production in their draft year. But maybe Foudy could be a exception.
He was stuck way back on the depth chart. Look from the time the trades were made onward.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
140 (total) games in the OHL 34 goals, 23 assists, 57 points (0.40 ppg)
He has to have tons to offer other than goals+points.
A little unfair to put it that way. I'm no expert, but CHLers don't seem to get much of a chance in their D-1 year.

That being said, I fail to see why this guy should have been picked at 18. The production is very, very uninspiring. I guess this is a gamble on Foudy picking things up in an increased role next year, as well as his physical gifts.

E: looking at Colin Cudmore's charts of CHL players, Foudy seems to have done quite well. He put up the second most primary points/60 out of all Knights (after Bouchard), had the most shots per 60 minutes (and the highest xG too). I guess it would be a bit misleading to just look at the totals, but there are a lot of players who managed equal or better results in their larger roles. While there is definitely something in Foudy, I can't help but see this pick as a huge gamble. At least the Blue Jackets think he's worth the risk.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
140 (total) games in the OHL 34 goals, 23 assists, 57 points (0.40 ppg)
He has to have tons to offer other than goals+points.

There's no point in critiquing his point production if you haven't watched him play at all. London traded away all their star players at the deadline last year and Foudy's production picked up tremendously

Reactions: 99664987

dmead

Jan 12, 2018
London
Knights STH here..

Foudy played 4th line minutes in his rookie year with the Knights. Last year he got 3rd line minutes for the first half season as the Knights were so strong.

After the Trade deadline, which saw the Knights trade away 4 of the top 6 forwards, Foudy got 1st line minutes and PP and PK time. He took full advantage of this and scored like a mad man.

My only knock on him is he has a high center of balance and gets knocked down easily. He needs to strengthen his core and leg strength.

he's stupid fast (I'm not sure who is faster, Foudy or Formenton) , smart with the puck but needs to finish a bit better. My take is he will be a solid 3rd liner a couple of years out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->