C Liam Dower Nilsson - Frölunda HC, SWE Jrs (2021, 134th, DET)

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
What's the deal with these nordic kids having non nordic names these days?

U got a liam, a Lucas raymond, anton lundell doesnt sound that Finnish, Brad Lambert certainly doesnt sound finnish.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden

U got a liam, a Lucas raymond, anton lundell doesnt sound that Finnish, Brad Lambert certainly doesnt sound finnish.
Liam is actually a pretty common name in Sweden for kids born in the 2000's. Raymond has a French father, so there's that, and Lundell is a Swedish name which is fairly common in Finland (Granlund, Bäckström, Borgström, Nordgren (CHI) and Björkqvist (PIT) are some examples). And Lambert has a Canadian father.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland

Their not necessarily of Nordic origin, they many have parents who are Immigrants. I know Slovakia have some non Slovak prospects such as myklukha but other than that most 99% of players are Slovak unless you count forced “magyarized people.” Czech Republic has even less I believe lol. I wouldn’t count Finnish to Swedish or vice versa as that surprising, they’ve been side by side for a while. Someone like Raymond that’s a little more story I guess...

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Dower Nilsson and Lysell are the top Swedish forwards in their age group for me. Lysell is the one you notice all the time, Dower Nilsson is quietly very effective and he makes players around him better. You could make the argument that Dower Nilsson's game might translate better to the pro level. Right now I'd give the edge to Lysell though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
He is a very confident young man. I wouldn't want to mess with him!

but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Will be interesting to see Dower Nilsson at the WU17 Challenge. He doesn't have the skill of Lysell but could very well end up as the better prospect. Looks a bit like Isac Lundeström (without that chronic inability to score). His little brother is also quite talented.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yet another center the Swedish coaches put on the wing. Looked like he had no idea how to play RW.

I can't say I was very impressed, but I don't want to overreact to one game of a player who is supposedly very good and was playing out of position.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yet another center the Swedish coaches put on the wing. Looked like he had no idea how to play RW.

I can't say I was very impressed, but I don't want to overreact to one game of a player who is supposedly very good and was playing out of position.
It's pretty depressing. He has never played on the wing before, Swedish junior hockey is quickly going down the drain with everything they're currently doing.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Dower Nilsson (#19) is such a smart player. Didn't get a point on this goal but his play away from the puck created the scoring chance.

Also had 4 points in this game.

Reactions: theslatcher

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Well, second shift in the SHL and got 5 + game. Tried to bat the puck out of the air and accidentally hit the side of the face of somebody instead(no injury).

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He doesn't usually get many PIMS, wonder what got into him lol
Tunnel visioned the puck, probably due to nerves playing his first SHL game, getting his first shifts... In the third period of a 8-0 loss no less.

Liam Dower Nilsson fick matchstraff i SHL-debuten

Coach Rönnberg talks about it here. Says he was very, very confused at it getting 5 + game. Says it usually gets 2, max 2+2, thinks the refs played it up.

Also mentions that Liam had a good pass to Mursak and could've very well gotten an apple on that play. Not a bad impression after 2 shifts.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It was obviously not intentional. Careless play but should only have been a 2 minute penalty for highsticking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad