C Kirby Dach (2019, 3rd, CHI)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Noone has jumped the shark on this guy yet (No thread already made), so let's talk about the 2nd overall pick in the 2016 whl draft instead of the first shall we?
Being the 2nd overall pick in 2016, Kirby Dach is a very good player playing for the saskatoon blades (10-12-2-1). ISS Hockey Quotes how he plays and if he is a good prospect or not: "great combination of size, strength and puck skills … ‘offence first’ mentality … soft hands… good puck pursuit … quick stick … finds availa".
I am gonna keep an eye on this prospect, as I see some NHL upside in him.
-BlueBull, 2017
Search a players name in the search bar and have the “titles only” box checked

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Watched him tonight vs Kooteney post Leafs game, so I missed his first goal. In the 40 minutes I watched, Dach racked up another 2 assists.

Main reason I watched this particular game was to see how he stacked up against Krebs. In my opinion he outplayed Krebs, who I didn't find particularly noticeable outside of a rush on the PP and getting a holding and then a unsportsmanlike penalty on the PP.

Dach has some interesting tools. I'd like to see him shoot a bit more and add some explosiveness to his skating. He's still pretty young, so it can take guys who are young and tall time to add the lower and core-body strength needed to excel. He has very good vision and plays a complete game. It looks to be a really strong WHL crop for next year. I'd also expect his goals to go up, he's shooting something like 6% on the year. Last year he got 6 goals in 19 games, this year he has 5 in 38.

Reactions: 99664987

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Newhook could be the best forward group out west in a long time. Going to be exciting to follow in their draft year

Reactions: 99664987

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Kind of interesting he only has 7 goals. Looking through his past seasons he doesn't seem to be much of a goalscorer. Even at the U17's this year he only had 1 goal (but 7 points).

Any particular reason he doesn't score more?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's a pass 1st player. He has a great shot he just needs to use it more. He might never be a big scorer like Mikey McLeod but it won't be because of his shot

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's a pass 1st player. He has a great shot he just needs to use it more. He might never be a big scorer like Mikey McLeod but it won't be because of his shot

So he’s basically Getzlaf but not mean (Ryan was a badass in the WHL)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I was thinking more of a Jeff Carter comparison. That long quick stride with so much power, strong shot, and quick pass.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I was thinking more of a Jeff Carter comparison. That long quick stride with so much power, strong shot, and quick pass.

Jeff was always a shoot first kind of player. Getzlaf almost passes on opportunities to shoot in order to make a nice pass, like Dach.

Reactions: ValeriKamensky

thething

Jul 28, 2014
It's pretty crazy that he was drafted at 5'9" and is now 6'4".

Dach was actually already 6'1 when he was drafted.

When Dach was drafted he reminded me of RNH during his whl days. A tall, skinnier player with great vision, soft hands and an underrated shot. His skating wasn't and still isn't the best (although it has gotten better, especially considering his added size), which is why Krebs was taken in front of him as he was the more complete package.

I wondered if he would have similar issues in building strength and adding weight as RNH has had. Those concerns do not seem to be an issue now as his frame looks quite large out on the ice.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dach was actually already 6'1 when he was drafted.

When Dach was drafted he reminded me of RNH during his whl days. A tall, skinnier player with great vision, soft hands and an underrated shot. His skating wasn't and still isn't the best (although it has gotten better, especially considering his added size), which is why Krebs was taken in front of him as he was the more complete package.

I wondered if he would have similar issues in building strength and adding weight as RNH has had. Those concerns do not seem to be an issue now as his frame looks quite large out on the ice.
He reminds me of Dylan Strome when I watch him. I still think Strome will carve out a successful NHL career, so this isn't to knock Dach.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So far I think Dach is the best pure playmaker in the draft. Just oozes hockey IQ. Reminds me of Barzal.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So far I think Dach is the best pure playmaker in the draft. Just oozes hockey IQ. Reminds me of Barzal.

I personally think Krebs has him beat in that regard. We will see as both don't have a tonne to work with on their teams yet. Krebs has McClennon on the way though.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I personally think Krebs has him beat in that regard. We will see as both don't have a tonne to work with on their teams yet. Krebs has McClennon on the way though.
Krebs I agree but the Blades should have a pretty good forward group this year it's the defense that is their weakness

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Krebs I agree but the Blades should have a pretty good forward group this year it's the defense that is their weakness

I still think they will be among one of the worse teams in the East Division. He will have De Le Gorgendiere, Crnkovic and Plaschewsky joining. Plus Nolan Meier in net. But I think it will be a bit of a development year for them. If those kids pan out as good players and the Blades can manage to build around them with trades for defencemen they should have a really good team in 19/20. I just don't see them being a top team this coming season. Although a lot of teams lost some really good players. Moose Jaw, Swift and Regina are all worse. PA is still rebuilding and Brandon is Brandon...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->