C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’ll state it now for the record. If Kent Johnson has a healthy freshman season, there is zero chance he slips out of the 1st round. I expect him to lead Michigan in scoring next year.

out of the 1st.rd? I'd be shocked if he dropped out of the TOP 15. really want to see what he does at Michigan next year.

and seriously! How was he not at Hlinka camp last summer. It's one thing to cut from a Team Canada squad, but not even a camp invite? That's like carpet in your shower. That's not right.

Hopefully he'll get a shot at the U18 team this April if available. Hockey Canada does know he's a '02 birth year, right? you never know with those fine folks.
I only mentioned the possibility because I feel like NHL teams will want to be confident his skills will translate; if he gets hurt for most of the season, I doubt he will stick in the top-5 like someone like Galchenyuk did. That said, I see him as a top-5 pick today, and I have faith that he will solidify himself there next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Think this guy turns out to be a favourite to be drafted first overall.

His season next year when he makes the jump up to a better league will be a MASSIVE year. IMO we may see his stock rise massively or plummet huge. He is dominating Junior A right now but the BCHL is a big step down from NCAA.

Also, don't count out Everett Silvertips potentially convincing him to come to the WHL next year. They will do everything they can to get him there. They are one of the few teams in the league that have the ability to get kids to change their minds. By no means am I suggesting he is currently debating what route he will go, I am just saying Everett will be doing everything they can

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Watched him live this afternoon..

The good:

- His hands are truly special, you just can't teach the handles he has. In tight, with space, doesn't matter - he will figure out a way to make the opposition look stupid. Through the legs, little toe drags, on the halfwall, just amazing control of the puck. Reminds me of watching Drouin in Jr in that sense - and those who saw Drouin live in Halifax should know what I'm referring to (ps: that's not an upside comparison).

- In keeping with that, he finds ways to creatively open lanes on zone exits and entries. If you give him room, he's skating with the puck. If he's in tight, he figured out a way to slow things down and open a lane. Tons of of head fakes, little bobs and weaves to gain the zone, and Vernon's guys were hard pressed to take the puck off of him. They had 2 guys shadowing him for most of the game but he still left them in the dust most of the time he had the puck. Teammates just not on his level at all, unfortunately.

- Strong faceoff guy already - counted one lost FO all game.

- Creates on his own, which could be a good/bad quality depending on how you look at it. At a higher level, I suspect this becomes a positive as teams will have to choose which guy to shut down, leaving him more room to create out of nothing. He's always looking for the pass, so I'm not too worried about tunnel vision.

The bad:

- Often the last man back in his own zone, as a C. Almost like Trail is deploying him at C to take draws and then shifting him out to the wing to cherry-pick.

- Stride and technique wise, he is good but not great. And his lack of strength and intensity showed today. Not sure if that is an ongoing trait, or just a product of travel and a heavy game schedule. But the body language was telling me his head wasn't in it. Still finished with a sick sequence that led to a goal so take that at face value..

- Despite the goal totals, shot is a bit lacklustre. He's very slim, so I imagine that improves with added strength and some weighted puck work.

- Tried one too many moves on a number of occasions - definitely playing a 'junior' game right now - but he's also 17 and in the BCHL. A good coach and some buy-in from his end gets that out of his system quickly.

Overall, I imagine he'd feel his performance today was underwhelming, but he still scored a goal that nearly spurred a comeback win (they were down 4-1 at the end of the 1st). Any time he had the puck on his stick, the entire arena was on pins and needles. This kid is simply special with the puck on his stick. I'd love to catch more live showings but this'll unfortunately probably be it for the year with my work schedule. Would love to hear others' opinions if they catch a game live.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
i get that you can critique his game but what's really seeming to be lost here is that there is simply no precedent in this league for a player to be doing what he's doing. his stat-line is kind of similar to Alex Newhook who went 16th last year but KJ is a more than a year younger. He's leading the BCHL in scoring by 30 points as a young 17 year old a year before his draft year. it's phenomenal really..

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
i get that you can critique his game but what's really seeming to be lost here is that there is simply no precedent in this league for a player to be doing what he's doing. his stat-line is kind of similar to Alex Newhook who went 16th last year but KJ is a more than a year younger. He's leading the BCHL in scoring by 30 points as a young 17 year old a year before his draft year. it's phenomenal really..

It will be very interesting to keep tabs on him. He'll have a full year at Michigan before the draft.

Reactions: Dominance

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's not more than a year younger, there's 8 months between their ages in their seasons.

They are both in their 2nd eligible year, Johnson missed this draft by 1 month.

Last edited:

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
w
He's not more than a year younger, there's 8 months between their ages in their seasons.

They are both in their 2nd eligible year, Johnson missed this draft by 1 month.

sorry I'm not following. KJ is likely to put up more points this year in his pre-draft year, whereas AN put that amount in his draft year.

Jan.28, 2001 vs. Oct 18, 2002... nearly 20 months difference in age and two drafts apart.

I have a feeling that I'm missing your point. lol.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
w

sorry I'm not following. KJ is likely to put up more points this year in his pre-draft year, whereas AN put that amount in his draft year.

Jan.28, 2001 vs. Oct 18, 2002... nearly 20 months difference in age and two drafts apart.

I have a feeling that I'm missing your point. lol.
No, you are just using Newhooks age a year after he had the season, and not taking the late birthday into account. He's only a year and 8 months older than him right now, Newhook was a year younger when he had the season last year...hence 8 months

Newhook was 8 months older than Johnson in these comparative seasons

Johnson is a late birthday, Same as Dylan Holloway. There was only 7 months difference between Newhook and Holloway last year, both finished their 2nd season of Junior A last season, but only Newhook was eligible for the draft.

It's the exact same as Johnson, only a year later. You are comparing Newhooks 17 year old season and Johnsons 17 year old season, how could one possibly be doing it at more than a years difference in age?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pochiro

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It will be very interesting to keep tabs on him. He'll have a full year at Michigan before the draft.

Yep its great that hes tearing junior apart like he is but at the end of the day people are going to question guys who play in that league. His real draft pedigree is going to be decided next year in the NCAA

Reactions: Bubbles

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Yep its great that hes tearing junior apart like he is but at the end of the day people are going to question guys who play in that league. His real draft pedigree is going to be decided next year in the NCAA
100%. Not sure if there is even one other player in that league who will play in the NHL. in the NCAA he'll play guys who have a good shot nightly

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
still say that you are underselling this player. sure, he's heading to the NCAA which is a higher league, but there won't be anyone there who has established themselves in their previous league to the extent that he has. (freshmen).

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
He has all the skill in the world... when he’s on he makes things happen... tends to hang on to the puck to long and then forces a play that kills the flow...long shifts. That sounds overly critical but like I said, all the tools are there and with the right coach those flaws should be easily corrected... not the fastest straight line skater but slick and quick in tight... three lacrosse style goals this year...

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
BCHL 2021 draft eligible players top 5 this season:

1. Kent Johnson | 41+60=101
2. Peter Reynolds | 14+30=44
3. Finlay Williams | 11+20=31
4. David Wang | 4+2=6
5. Tyson Galloway | 2+3=5

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
101 points this season already for the 2021 eligible kid, yet only 5 pages of posts.....:huh:

Shhh...don't let anyone know! :sarcasm:

I was looking at old threads about similiar-type players from the BCHL (Jost, Fabbro, Newhook) and they don't have many pages this early. Things really pick up in their draft year.

Also, Johnson hasn't been on HC radar at all, only played on the WJAC. His hype train will get more passengers once he hits Michigan.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
101 points this season already for the 2021 eligible kid, yet only 5 pages of posts.....:huh:

Not too surprising though cause I would say almost 100% of people here havent seen him play. Also he plays Junior A in beautiful Trail BC :laugh:

Plus probably not much for YouTube clips of him so people on here cant make their final decision on him after 1 clip lol... like usual

Once he plays at a higher level next season and is actually pushed and also is on a bigger stage, this thread should pick up

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
With a name like this my brain simply refuses to view this guy as amounting to anything more than a meat and potatoes fourth liner.

Kent Johnson for a dynamic skilled forward is an epic oxymoron.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Not too surprising though cause I would say almost 100% of people here havent seen him play. Also he plays Junior A in beautiful Trail BC :laugh:

Plus probably not much for YouTube clips of him so people on here cant make their final decision on him after 1 clip lol... like usual

Once he plays at a higher level next season and is actually pushed and also is on a bigger stage, this thread should pick up

Trail's actually really nice if you are into anything outdoors related. Great resort and backcountry skiing, mountain biking, bunch of golf in the area, lakes, fishing, hunting, etc.

Reactions: ruhzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad