C Justin Sourdif - Vancouver Giants WHL (2020, 87th, FLA)

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Didn't find a thread, I've been really impressed with him in playing the u17's for Canada Red even though he has scored only 1 point in 3 games, he's a really skilled forward who makes things happen out there. He was the 3rd overall pick in the 2017 WHL draft. This season he has 9 points in 16 games playing for the Vancouver Giants in the WHL.

Justin Sourdif at eliteprospects.com

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He's a fun player to watch and has been getting more minutes and opportunity with the Giants as the season has gone on. Could see him really make some noise in the second half of the season.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
one of the main reasons why the giants are playing so well, this kid is quite underrated. good two way center with a nice shot.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
And he has. In 2019 he has 30 points in 32 games

Should be a high pick next year. Very fast, very skilled player.

Yeah playing consistently with Roman has helped but he has more than earned that opportunity. Can’t wait to see what he brings in the playoffs and especially next year

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
One of the "Big Three" for WHL forwards for 2020 in my book, along with Seth Jarvis and Ozzy Wiesblatt (Greig, King, McClennon, Crnkovic, Neighbours being the outliers)

Looking to see him in the Top 10.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
One of the "Big Three" for WHL forwards for 2020 in my book, along with Seth Jarvis and Ozzy Wiesblatt (Greig, King, McClennon, Crnkovic, Neighbours being the outliers)

Looking to see him in the Top 10.
A bunch of those guys are 2021 draft prospects.

Also, I’d throw Zary into that “Big Four” group.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
A bunch of those guys are 2021 draft prospects.

Also, I’d throw Zary into that “Big Four” group.

Oh shit I forgot about Zary. Despite being a late '01 he's another one of my favourites. Such a bright spot on a terrible Kamloops team.

Also I double checked and all those guys are 2020 eligible.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Oh **** I forgot about Zary. Despite being a late '01 he's another one of my favourites. Such a bright spot on a terrible Kamloops team.

Also I double checked and all those guys are 2020 eligible.
You’re absolutely right. I’m confused why I thought Crnkovic, Neighbours, and McClennon were ‘21 eligibles. Odd.

Anyhow, I agree with you on Zary. Should be a threat for the early first round.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
You’re absolutely right. I’m confused why I thought Crnkovic, Neighbours, and McClennon were ‘21 eligibles. Odd.

Anyhow, I agree with you on Zary. Should be a threat for the early first round.

I thought a couple of them might be late birthdays to be fair. I thought Greig was, actually.

Hopefully Kamloops can get some offensive support for Zary next season. Pillar and Stankoven look promising.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure this lad has top 31 talent for me currently in 2020, but just because I don't think he has it as of now doesn't mean he's a bad player. I actually think he's pretty awesome and as some of you lads said he's fun to watch. Very much reminds me of Jonathan Marchessault.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I liked Sourdif last year but his skating is on a different level this year. Even without Byram on the back end feeding the forwards pucks Sourdif is off to a great start to his year. Had a beautiful end to end goal in yesterdays game

Reactions: Dominance

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Sounds like an interesting prospect, are his strengths and what does he need to work on?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Sounds like an interesting prospect, are his strengths and what does he need to work on?
He's a really good skater with a high motor and good hockey IQ. Battles hard for pucks and has a quick release. Main thing he needs to work on is simply getting stronger as while he battles hard he gets outmuscled a fair bit and his shot while having a quick release needs more power behind it if he's to beat professional goalies at the next level .Good thing for him is he likely has almost 3 more years of juniors to get stronger. He'll likely be a winger at the next level but there's a chance he could be a center. Has a well rounded game already as most whl prospects have

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Saw him in one of the games against PG last weekend. Wasn't a fan at all. He really battled out there but wasn't able to separate guys from pucks at all and fell down constantly. Definitely lacking strength. Wasn't able to make much plays happen either and wasn't really much of a threat, although apparently he scored a goal and an assist in the 3rd after I quit watching. But for me he looked a lot more like a 2nd round guy where FC has him (#53) than a high 1st round pick like where HP has him (#11). But really small sample size obviously. With his production he must be doing something right.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Saw him in one of the games against PG last weekend. Wasn't a fan at all. He really battled out there but wasn't able to separate guys from pucks at all and fell down constantly. Definitely lacking strength. Wasn't able to make much plays happen either and wasn't really much of a threat, although apparently he scored a goal and an assist in the 3rd after I quit watching. But for me he looked a lot more like a 2nd round guy where FC has him (#53) than a high 1st round pick like where HP has him (#11). But really small sample size obviously. With his production he must be doing something right.
Must have been finding his legs because i watched this kid the last 2yrs in Van and he is a dog on a bone with a great stick good wheels and wins almost all his puck battles. Watch him more and check back. 1 game in exhibition is nothing
Big season for him
Could be mid 1st to late 2nd.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Is he playing C consistently? How’s he doing at that position? Is he definitely a winger at the next level?
He's been playing RW all year and most likely will be a winger going forward but I wouldn't rule it out completely of him being able to be a center given his skating, IQ and motor combo. Vancouver has good center depth this year but he might move to center for his last 2 junior years and see if he can handle it.

Reactions: Dominance

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's been playing RW all year and most likely will be a winger going forward but I wouldn't rule it out completely of him being able to be a center given his skating, IQ and motor combo. Vancouver has good center depth this year but he might move to center for his last 2 junior years and see if he can handle it.
Safe to say on NHL team lists he will be listed as a winger?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think that he is going to be a safe pick in that his ceiling at the nHL level won't be elite but his floor will be high and his chances of reaching that floor will be extremely high.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
I think he has a lot of untapped upside as he gains more strength. Sourdif has high level compete, IQ, skating and skill but despite the willingness isn't always strong enough to make plays through contact. He makes up for a lot of his strength disadvantage with craftiness and has been forced to outthink opponents in order to make an impact. As he continues to bulk up his game will only grow.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Yeah I thought he was really good for the most part at the Hlinka on Perfetti and Lapierre’s line, really good skater and puck handler, was able to get on the forecheck and win races to loose pucks, and he can make plays, I think he’s going to be a similar player to Jake Debrusk, but a RH version. Maybe not the best comparable but I think similar level impacts.

Reactions: Get North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad