C Julius Sumpf - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2023; Undrafted)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Probably the best German player eligible for the 2023 draft. Woundn’t surprise me if he were a mid-late round pick. I’m hoping that he plays in the DEL next season but that’s still up in the air. Overall 2023 Draft out of Germany is wuite weak out of, 2024 looks much better however.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffLumber

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Signed with the Moncton Wildcats and will be playing in the QMJHL next year.

He’s a dual citizen so he didn’t need to go through the Import Draft.

Moncton’s forward group will be pretty interesting next year.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Signed with the Moncton Wildcats and will be playing in the QMJHL next year.

He’s a dual citizen so he didn’t need to go through the Import Draft.

Moncton’s forward group will be pretty interesting next year.
Interesting. I had no idea this was possible. Always thought it came down to where the family lives. Does the Sumpf family live in Canada?

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Interesting. I had no idea this was possible. Always thought it came down to where the family lives. Does the Sumpf family live in Canada?

I know a few times this has happened semi recently. Miles Mueller for Moncton was a dual citizen but only lived / played in Switzerland before being drafted in the regular Q draft.

The Saint John Sea dogs brought both Vincent Despont and Noah Patenaude in as free agents and both only played in Switzerland before.

I think it is pretty much just based on citizenship.

Edit: to clarify, I think that they all had at least one parent from Quebec or the Maritime provinces.

I understand that Sumpf’s mother is from Montreal.

Last edited:

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I know a few times this has happened semi recently. Miles Mueller for Moncton was a dual citizen but only lived / played in Switzerland before being drafted in the regular Q draft.

The Saint John Sea dogs brought both Vincent Despont and Noah Patenaude in as free agents and both only played in Switzerland before.

I think it is pretty much just based on citizenship.
Interesting. Would’ve been a top pick in the import draft.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
He is a very talented player. Ranked in my 150’s for the 23’ draft and surprised he wasn’t selected. QMJHL path gives him a good chance at selection next year when he showcases his skill more locally as opposed to the low coverage Alps league.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
He is a very talented player. Ranked in my 150’s for the 23’ draft and surprised he wasn’t selected. QMJHL path gives him a good chance at selection next year when he showcases his skill more locally as opposed to the low coverage Alps league.

Great to hear as a Moncton fan. The GM was quoted as saying he expects that he plays top 6 this coming season and understood that a bunch of CHL teams wanted to pick him in the import draft.

Apparently Moncton has been working on securing this signing for a few months.

Moncton is building up for a run for the next two seasons and everyone expects them to bid on the Memorial Cup for the 23-24 season. They should be the favourite to get it with their new rink and what should be a very solid team, but the Q may not want 3 non-Quebec teams hosting in a row (Halifax and SJ hosted the last 2 Q hosted Memorial cups).

Moncton does have a few interesting young guys so Sumpf should have the opportunity to be well scouted.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Great to hear as a Moncton fan. The GM was quoted as saying he expects that he plays top 6 this coming season and understood that a bunch of CHL teams wanted to pick him in the import draft.

Moncton is building up for a run for the next two seasons and everyone expects them to bid on the Memorial Cup for the 23-24 season. They should be the favourite to get it with their new rink and what should be a very solid team, but the Q may not want 3 non-Quebec teams hosting in a row (Halifax and SJ hosted the last 2 Q hosted Memorial cups).

Moncton does have a few interesting young guys so Sumpf should have the opportunity to be well scouted.
Sounds like a great opportunity for him. Without knowing the current roster, I definitely expect him to jump in as a 2C and be an immediate contributor, with high-end upside for his second year if he chooses to return as a 19.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

I would be shocked if Moncton didn't get it. Everything the Wildcats are doing is pointing to building towards a run in 23-24. This is a great place for Sumpf to get some exposure while playing on a competitive team with good players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad