C Joseph Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2018, 30th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
How does a Derek Brassard comp fit? I know little about Veleno, that’s just off scouting reports, highlights, and one game.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
How does a Derek Brassard comp fit? I know little about Veleno, that’s just off scouting reports, highlights, and one game.
If it helps his play style is a classic playmaking center. A fast center that uses his speed to open up room for his teammates. Has a weak shot, but a decent frame. Wouldn't classify all his other aspects of the game excellent, but he is a solid player. Haven't really paid too much attention to him in the defensive zone though.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

I don't like the Brassard comparison for a couple of reasons. Derrick Brassard was a very productive junior player. He put up 40 goals before his draft year. Scoring for 40 goals in junior hockey is a good predictor as any of predicting scoring at the nhl level. Veleno on the other hand has a high of 23. As of right now I see a Lars eller type of player. The hope is that a full season with Drummondville he can bust out and show his scoring ability . But even if it never happens I still like his floor a lot.

Semaj49

Jul 28, 2009
To me he looks a lot like Kuznetsov. Really fast playmaking center that doesn't shoot really often and has a lot of puck possession. He has similar upside too

Reactions: Deam78

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Veleno reminds me of Nail Yakupov. Where they are buzzing all over the place but both do not really have high hockey IQ. Not going to work in the NHL. Most think he's safe pick but I don't see it. He's not that good.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
His shot which can be easily improved, is has always been weak, if this is his biggest problem, then he’s going to be fine.

Too much hate here, he’s a skilled player who sees the game well and has speed, these are tools for success in today’s nhl. He could be a steal imo.

Reactions: 99664987

member 147413

Hot take, he falls to Toronto at 25.

Maybe I’m just dreaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
His shot is getting under rated, he just needs to use it more. He had 16 goals in 33 games once he got off the garbage dump in SJ and also 5 goals in 10 playoff games. Over a full 68 game season that'd be 33 goals. He's a safer player in regards you're getting a 3rd liner minimum but he has legit realistic top 6 upside.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
To me he looks a lot like Kuznetsov. Really fast playmaking center that doesn't shoot really often and has a lot of puck possession. He has similar upside too
Don't know about the upside part, but his offensive style of play sure reminds me of Kuznetsov.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
A steal for the Wings great for you he'll become at least a 2nd line center with high upside

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Surprised Veleno dropped. Wonder what scouts did not like in him? His floor is a #3C with #2C potential. At #30 this was a good pick, abeit an obvious one. So I like it from that perspective. Has the makings of that pick of people asking why did teams pass on him? And he may just make some teams look foolish for passing on him. I liked the Red Wings first rd. picks. Zadina is going to be a star.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
A bit odd that Bob & Co flat out said on air his ceiling is a Bottom 6 player with no offensive upside, and he doesn't have near the untapped potential of other picks who were going ahead of him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->