C Joseph Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2018, 30th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Veleno and Dobson on the Isles would be sweet.
That being said I doubt both fall that far. To me a guy like Ty Smith will drop and guys like Veleno and Jesperi enter top 10

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Veleno and Dobson on the Isles would be sweet.
That being said I doubt both fall that far. To me a guy like Ty Smith will drop and guys like Veleno and Jesperi enter top 10

My guess is Kotkaniemi gets picked top 10, Veleno falls to 11. Now if both get picked top 10 that probably means one of the Big 4(Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson and Boqvist) non Dahlen defense drops, although I guess I could see Wahlstrom dropping as well

As an Islanders fan assuming one of the 2 centers drops I rather go with Kotkaniemi, but that being said I have a bad feeling if Kotkaniemi is their at 11 Islanders may pass on him(Veleno most likely will be one of our 2 picks)

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
My guess is Kotkaniemi gets picked top 10, Veleno falls to 11. Now if both get picked top 10 that probably means one of the Big 4(Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson and Boqvist) non Dahlen defense drops, although I guess I could see Wahlstrom dropping as well

As an Islanders fan assuming one of the 2 centers drops I rather go with Kotkaniemi, but that being said I have a bad feeling if Kotkaniemi is their at 11 Islanders may pass on him(Veleno most likely will be one of our 2 picks)
Id be super excited to get one of Bouchard and Dobson plus Veleno.
I happen to like Veleno more than Kotkaniemi.
He's a great fit as a two way center thing is that position is highly desired.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Mark Edwards seems to think he'll go in the late 1st/early 2nd
I haven't heard him say that, I've heard him say that he thinks he should go there based on what he has seen and that is a different distinction

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Just realized this thread is five years old.

This is why I always pay attention when scoutman1 starts a thread on a young player.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So Veleno is 150lbs.

That's pretty shady that everywhere else prior to the combine listed him at 200lbs.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Maybe we're talking semantics, but I saw a reference to Veleno not seeing the ice nearly as well at Barzal and I don't agree. Like I said this could just be a semantics thing.

This guy sees those little windows most don't and threads pucks through them. The problem is he's not as dynamic as Barzal with creating more time and space for himself to open things up.

I don't think there's a chance he falls out of the top 15-20 let alone 1st round like some are saying.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I haven't heard him say that, I've heard him say that he thinks he should go there based on what he has seen and that is a different distinction

Exactly, thanks.
Our 2nd round ranking of Veleno is not a prediction.

Given how weak this draft is for centers I have to believe he is the 2nd center picked(3rd at worst). I can't see him being drafted lower then 15 unless Boston somehow gets 3 picks in the top 15.

I'll be surprised if Hayton doesn't go before Veleno. Could see Lundestrom and Kupari as well (I personally project Kupari as a winger). Just to give you an idea of the wide range of opinions out there, I know a scout who has O'Brien ranked over 20 spots higher than Veleno.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'll be surprised if Hayton doesn't go before Veleno. Could see Lundestrom and Kupari as well (I personally project Kupari as a winger). Just to give you an idea of the wide range of opinions out there, I know a scout who has O'Brien ranked over 20 spots higher than Veleno.

It definitely looks like Hayton is gaining steam I assume due to the hounds Mem Cup run. I personally feel like Veleno is a victim of bordum bias by scouts(ie he has been on their radar for longer then most guys so they start liking newer and shinier toys because Veleno didn't exactly reach their high end expectations)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
It definitely looks like Hayton is gaining steam I assume due to the hounds Mem Cup run. I personally feel like Veleno is a victim of bordum bias by scouts(ie he has been on their radar for longer then most guys so they start liking newer and shinier toys because Veleno didn't exactly reach their high end expectations)
yup. That's a big reason why teams passed on Chychrun+Barzal for so long which is looking really dumb at the moment.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Veleno was someone who I wanted the flyers to target at 14 but now i am having second thoughts. I think Veleno projects to be a very good 3rd line 2 way center . For whatever reason his production has never matched his skillset. That being said I think he can step into the nhl today as a 3rd line center play responsible two way hockey and give a team 15 minutes a game. Problem with that is where do you draft a guy who doesn't really seem to have that high of a ceiling? how many teams can afford the luxury of drafting a good 3rd line center in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->