C Joseph Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2018, 30th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Isles most likely picking 10th and 12th(CGY)

I have Veleno rated 9th on my board as of now.

The islanders really need a stud Defensman but if Veleno is the BPA I’d love for the isles to pick him.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
I really hope Isles are targeting this dude. He seems like the perfect fit on the Isles to either be an elite 3C if Tavares stays or a good 2C is Tavares leaves. I could see teams passing on him because they don't see first line center material in him, but for the isles all he would need to do is be the 2nd or 3rd best center on their team which seems achievable for him. He has the leadership qualities that Snow seems to love, and is able to play in all zones. Draft scouts are saying he needs to be surrounded by talent to be really good, as he can't do it all on his own. Isles are stacked offensively, and he would have 0 pressure adjusting to the big leagues centering behind Tavares/Barzal. On a weak team without centers I could see it being a problem for him to adjust if he's expected to carry the load. However, he will not be needed to carry the load for the Isles.

If I'm Garth Snow, I'm taking the best dman available when they are up to pick, and then use CGY's pick to draft Veleno (or vice versa).

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Hopefully the coaching staff will reunite Veleno with McBain. Won gold together and had great chemistry.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If he has a good u18 and the Habs have some bad luck in the lotto, might he end up going 6th-7th?

Probably shouldn’t but I could see it happen

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I am a big fan, the media which often has questionable draft lists seems to shape these consensus rankings, no reason in my mind veleno couldn't go top 10, after the draft people are always asking why so and so was not ranked higher on most lists. He had a similar point pace to zadina after his trade.

He has that barzal, brayden point, skating/edge work and work ethic about him along with offensive skill.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I am a big fan, the media which often has questionable draft lists seems to shape these consensus rankings, no reason in my mind veleno couldn't go top 10, after the draft people are always asking why so and so was not ranked higher on most lists. He had a similar point pace to zadina after his trade.

He has that barzal, brayden point, skating/edge work and work ethic about him along with offensive skill.

The lack of centers this year is going to help him too. There is going to be a team that wants the top center in the draft and I really dont think after the finish to the season he had that anyone will think thats Hayton.

I dont know about top ten though. There are Dahlin, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes all in the top 10 for D. Plus it would seem like Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk and Wahlstrom are all pretty highly rated and "lock" to go ahead of Veleno. So thats 9 guys there but a couple of those D could slip and theres still hockey to be played. But there are still guys like Ty Smith that are rated pretty highly as well.

I think the u18 will have a big impact for him

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I agree. NHL teams these days are looking for that motor and it is rare to find that combined with top-end skating. Point, Barzal, and I'll throw in Aho play the same way. Primary reason I think the Canes are interested at #11, but I think he goes earlier similar to Monahan or Scheifele jumping up.

Reactions: 99664987

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Would love for him to be there at 13 for Dallas to pick. Probably gone by then tho

Peeps

May 24, 2017
I feel Veleno would shine bright in an already good team at the C position. In a team that doesn't need to rush him.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I feel Veleno would shine bright in an already good team at the C position. In a team that doesn't need to rush him.

he is at his best when ( as weird as it sounds) when his wingers are better players than him and to a certain way, carry him

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Would be a great pick at #12.

Problem I see with picking Veleno at 12th is I think decent chance he is their at 10th but I could see Carolina taking Veleno at 11th. Islanders might be better off taking Veleno at 10th and hope the defenseman they want at 10th is still around at 12th.

One thing I can see rising Veleno in this draft is this draft is short on centers and he is the best in this draft

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I think Veleno will be a good #1 in this league.
-Top notch hockey IQ/vision. This is money in modern hockey.
-Very Quick skater. See above.
-Elite passing skills.
-Isn't afraid of board battles.
-2way game.

Only minus is the lack of his goal scoring ability but that was a concern with Barzal also. I just don't understand why isn't Veleno ranked higher. He will be better than RNH for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad