C Joseph Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2018, 30th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Love the wings draft so far this year, and I hated the last couple wings drafts.

As have I. This is honestly the most excited ive been as a wings fan since winning the cup in 08. Its been downhill since.

(I guess making it to the finals in 09 I felt pretty good too, though losing completely diminished that feeling....)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What are we thinking of a likely projection Lars Eller/Nick Bonino type center?

Seems there's some prettt legitimate concerns about the offense.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah, there's enough respected people out there questioning his offensive game's translation to the next level that I suspect Veleno got picked right around where he should have. He's definitely more polished than many of the prospects picked around him but that's not what the end game is. Doesn't mean at the end of the day he won't end up being the better player but I'd hardly consider his slide to the back end of the first round "shocking" - remember, multiple scouts have said this draft is like basically one big grab bag after the front half of the first round.

Still, seems like a quality pick for the Wings with a high percentage chance of landing a really good NHL player. I said before I love this draft for teams like the Wings, Rangers and Habs who have tons of picks in the first few rounds because they are really going to get a shot of replenishing their systems with high quality depth. With Zadina and Veleno in tow heading into today, I imagine they will shift focus to defense and also try and grab some high-risk, high-reward players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Honestly, if Veleno turns into a significant speedy 3rd line character center, I'll be happy.

I think he is atleast this. And Maybe more. Not sure why he fell. But perhaps he was rated too high. Still a nice pick at 30. He's got a safe floor with some upside in his game. Great start to the draft for the Wings.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
There is definitely reason to understand why Veleno fell to 30th. But that doesn't mean that he can't develop his game and make a lot of GMs regret passing on him.

He has a pretty weak shot, he is very weak on the puck, he can make some highlight real moves for Youtube but in reality those attempts more times than not, end up with him turning the puck over.

His vision is top notch. The kid sees the ice very well and can hit a tight passing lane on the tape before anyone else even realized it was there. He is a pretty fast player as well. He uses that speed a lot to carry the puck up the ice, but unfortunately doesn't have a lot of ability to make anything special happen on a consistent basis off the rush. But certainly a player than can get the puck over the blue line regularly. His hands can be very good, but he has to get more effective at utilizing them.

Overall he has a lot to work on and will need plenty of development time. I don't think I would take this kid any higher than 18-20. After that he is certainly worth a shot. At the 30th pick I like him a lot. Why not. He has big question marks but he does have a piece to his game that is elite and you aren't going to find elite elements at 30th overall more times than not.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Good pick at 30. Legit question marks but I think his offense when he went to Drummondville is promising. If he played the full season there I dont think the wings get a crack at him at 30 though.

Should get a look at making Canada next year, definitely wont be with the wings

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Been around the game for 50 or so years..... honestly not really surprised he dropped. Not an really a player with a high upside and lots of concerns about him.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
He'll bottom out as a Zajac- or Bozak-role player, but he's much faster and has far more skill than either.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He has a pretty weak shot, he is very weak on the puck, he can make some highlight real moves for Youtube but in reality those attempts more times than not, end up with him turning the puck over.

That sounds like Teräväinen, until he really did hit the gym and got real muscles on his arms. And look where Teuvo is now.

I love every pick which is not physically ready. Because physical readiness is the easiest concern to fix. Just become a pro.

Reactions: deflowd
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So I listened to an interview with Tyler Wright from some media outlet:
  • I guess Detroit had Veleno a LOT higher. They were going to trade up to get him, but decided to gamble on him falling to them. They were dumbfounded when he was actually there at 30. Like a freebie. The plan was to pick a defenseman, but they couldn't pass the value up.
  • Detroit sees this kid as a Dylan Larkin type. If anybody remembers, Larkin was supposed to have limited offensive upside, and Detroit didn't buy it then either. My guess is Detroit plans to staple Veleno to Larkin in camp and let him see what he needs to do to take his game to the next level.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Tyler Wright said two GMs came up to him after they drafted him and said they were taking Veleno next. One was MTL Canadians with their 35th pick.
Wasn't that Hakan talking about Berggren?

Or did Wright really say the exact same thing about Veleno?

Reactions: Dotter

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Rated:
CSB - 8 (NA)
Mckenzie - 14
ISS - 10

A 6'1 185 lbs Center that is filling out that can skate like the wind. Detroit killed it this draft. He may just makes teams passing on him regret it.

There are always players that do this from each draft. Barzal this year. Maybe it will be Veleno will be that player from this draft.

Reactions: 99664987

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A lot of Wings fans were afraid earlier on during the season that we would draft this kid in the top 10. Kinda amazing how things turned out.

Reactions: 99664987

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
is around a lars eller type player his likely reachable ceiling?

it would be dumb to say his ceiling is a guy who's never scored 40 points. but it's also dumb to say he'd "only" be as good as Eller, who's a helluva player in his own right.

with that said, I like the comparison at this time. Eller is a guy who is pretty damn skilled himself. He can skate and carry the puck, and he sees the ice relatively well himself but he's just not a guy who can consistently make things happen offensively. Whether it's decision making or whatever it might be, clearly there's concerns about maybe the same thing happening to JV.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Joe "Not skilled" Veleno

As I said. I don't know why he fell to 30? What did scouts not like? Seems to me he should have gone higher. But Barzal fell to #16. Not the same player, but as Barzal did this season. He made a lot of teams look foolish. Especially the ones to pick just before #16. It will be interesting to see it unfold this draft. There are always players that people ask I can't believe they did not pick him years afterward.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
As I said. I don't know why he fell to 30? What did scouts not like? Seems to me he should have gone higher. But Barzal fell to #16. Not the same player, but as Barzal did this season. He made a lot of teams look foolish. Especially the ones to pick just before #16. It will be interesting to see it unfold this draft. There are always players that people ask I can't believe they did not pick him years afterward.

people expected more from a guy who was moved up to the CHL early, but I'd say his lack of offensive instincts is greatly exaggerated. Hoping to see him in the NHL in another year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->