C Jordy Bellerive - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2017 undrafted; signed by PIT)

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Bellerive is a former 2nd overall Bantam WHL draft pick in 2014 This year he's putting up a really solid season on a 'Canes team that really struggled at the start of the year. Currently has 15 goals, 17 assists (32 points) in 36 games.

Listed at 5'10", 195lb he is on the smaller side, but does not play that way. Aside from his offensive game, in my limited viewings I have come away impressed with his complete game, tenacity and battle level. He is also an assistant captain, which signifies him as a leader.

Any thoughts or guesses on where he could end up in June?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201684

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
He stuck out to me in a similar way to Jost last year in the BCHL watching their team. Tons of grit and play's bigger than he is. Reminds me a bit of Horvat. Haven't seen him in the Dub though.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Reminds me a bit of Jayce Hawryluk. Bellerive's probably a hair smaller than him though. Crafty and tenacious guy every time I have seen him play. There is some untapped offense there as well. Expect him to be near the top of league scoring next season

Reactions: Nakawick

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Bellerive is a former 2nd overall Bantam WHL draft pick in 2014 This year he's putting up a really solid season on a 'Canes team that really struggled at the start of the year. Currently has 15 goals, 17 assists (32 points) in 36 games.

Listed at 5'10", 195lb he is on the smaller side, but does not play that way. Aside from his offensive game, in my limited viewings I have come away impressed with his complete game, tenacity and battle level. He is also an assistant captain, which signifies him as a leader.

Any thoughts or guesses on where he could end up in June?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201684

The type of player who will play in the NHL guarenteed based on his physical makeup, speed, hockey IQ and defensive game. Whether he carves out 5 years worth of games as a checker with a little offence or really blossoms offensively and can extend the years with some top 6 spot duty is the question.

He has an incredibly heavy wrist shot which is his biggest strength. As they say it is an NHL shot already at 17 so whether the offensive game can really come together and he can be a constant threat every single night to get that shot off in the pros would be the question.

But like I said could easily see him as a kid who scored alot in junior and when he reaches the pro stage would easily be able to change his focus to live as a 3rd line/checker as his defensive game is there already in junior, plays a 200 foot game every night.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
1 goal, 2 assists and a fight secures the Gordy Howe Hattrick tonight for Jordy.

The type of player who will play in the NHL guarenteed based on his physical makeup, speed, hockey IQ and defensive game. Whether he carves out 5 years worth of games as a checker with a little offence or really blossoms offensively and can extend the years with some top 6 spot duty is the question.

He has an incredibly heavy wrist shot which is his biggest strength. As they say it is an NHL shot already at 17 so whether the offensive game can really come together and he can be a constant threat every single night to get that shot off in the pros would be the question.

But like I said could easily see him as a kid who scored alot in junior and when he reaches the pro stage would easily be able to change his focus to live as a 3rd line/checker as his defensive game is there already in junior, plays a 200 foot game every night.

I think this is pretty spot on.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He's going to go off next year, expecting a top 10 finish in scoring. Feisty for his size. I like him a lot

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He's going to go off next year, expecting a top 10 finish in scoring. Feisty for his size. I like him a lot

I agree.. Top 15 forsure id say and over 100pims easily... Hes a multicategory hockey pool dream player haha

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
How does he compare to someone like Drake Caggiula?

Thats actually an interesting comparison.

Bellerive has a heavier shot but weaker skating IMO.
Bellerive, I'd say is more physical and has more "intangibles" and leadership.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
4 goals and an assist through 2 games for the Pens at the prospect challenge. Probably gonna earn himself a contract.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
He signed with the pens.

Anyone know why he didnt get drafted?
Numbers seems ok, not great.

What was his role last year? Did he get PP time?
Will he take on a bigger role this season?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Feels like if any team can develop an undersized, competitive skill guy like Bellerive it's the Pens. Going to be interesting to see where he is in 3-4 years.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Hes not that under sized?
5'10 almost 200 lbs .

Hes not big by all means. But hes no Sheary either

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
him not getting drafted was the biggest shock to me from this past NHL draft. Well that and the fact that fellow WHLer Dylan Ferguson was also real close to not getting drafted(7th rounder)

Anyways, he is so awesome... look for a 80+ point/100+ pim type year this season. GREAT signing and Pens just got a deadly player for free

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
He signed with the pens.

Anyone know why he didnt get drafted?
Numbers seems ok, not great.

What was his role last year? Did he get PP time?
Will he take on a bigger role this season?

He's a very versatile player. From what I saw he mostly played 3rd line center with power play and penalty kill - he's an all situation player. Very often moved up the line up as needed and I think even played a few games on wing.

He will definitely get a bigger role this year with the Hurricanes losing a couple of their top forwards.

him not getting drafted was the biggest shock to me from this past NHL draft. Well that and the fact that fellow WHLer Dylan Ferguson was also real close to not getting drafted(7th rounder)

Anyways, he is so awesome... look for a 80+ point/100+ pim type year this season. GREAT signing and Pens just got a deadly player for free

Agree. I still can't believe no team was willing to use even a 6th or 7th on him.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
High pick in the WHL draft, put up good stats in his 1st year and 2nd year, wore the A as a 18 year old for his team, played with Canada at U17 and U18. He can skate, plays hard, and has a powerful shot.

I thought he was at the very least on the level as other WHL players that got drafted like Leschyshyn, McKenzie, McGrew.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
thanks guys....I was thinking there might have been something off ice maybe?.....it's one of those "its too good to be true", what i'm I missing thing. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad