C John Tavares (2009, 1st overall, NYI) III & IV

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
No, Hall's hockey sense does not even compare to Tavares. JT easily has top 5 hockey sense in the entire NHL, maybe even the best. That is not a knock on Hall, for as good as Hall's skating is Tavares hockey sense/hockey IQ are equally good.

I have to ask, what quantitative method do you use to measure a player's hockey sense? You obviously have something as you indicate Tavares has "top 5 hockey sense." I don't doubt Tavares is a smart player but have you seen every player and are able to make your theoretical "list?"

I don't mean to be rude but how the heck do you know Tavares has more "hockey sense" than Hall?

startainfection*

I don't mean to be rude but how the heck do you know Tavares has more "hockey sense" than Hall?
tavares was being called the next one when he was 15-18 years old even though his skating was pretty bad, that doesnt happen unless someone has amazing hockey sence

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
tavares was being called the next one when he was 15-18 years old even though his skating was pretty bad, that doesnt happen unless someone has amazing hockey sence

That didn't really answer his question, though. He was asking how one would sort of quantify having "top five hockey sense, maybe even the best" in terms of actual numbers one can compare.

For instance, I could make the statement that Ovechkin is top five in the NHL in scoring ability. The quantitative proof of this? I'd simply have to point out all those 50-goal seasons he's racked up. Similarly, I could make the statement that Joe Thornton is top three in the entire league in terms of who the best passers are. As proof, I can list his assist totals.

Where's the quantitative proof of this hockey sense? I think that's what he's asking for.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Where's the quantitative proof of this hockey sense? I think that's what he's asking for.

Nobody keeps an "easy goals" stat, for a player who scores on tip ins, wide open rebounds, backdoor passes, etc.

But if one were to keep a stat like that, I'd bet John Tavares and Sidney Crosby will be at the top of the list for a number of years.

Just my opinion, of course.

Cheers,

Dan-o

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I have to ask, what quantitative method do you use to measure a player's hockey sense? You obviously have something as you indicate Tavares has "top 5 hockey sense." I don't doubt Tavares is a smart player but have you seen every player and are able to make your theoretical "list?"

No I have not seen every player play, but I have seen Hall play a few times, and his hockey sense is not amazing. Just watching Tavares play he knows where to be and is in the right spot before anyone else. He puts the puck in the net standing 5 feet from the crease with no defenseman in sight because he has this ability. I don't know how you really measure "hockey sense" with a stat, but if you watch him play you know what I am talking about. It's like saying who is the fastest player in the NHL, you can't really say without a doubt that one player is the fastest, but if you watch enough you will start seeing who the fastest players are, but there is no real stat to determine how fast a player is.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
People forget that John Tavares..

When he was a 16-17 year old scored 72 goals, 62 assists for 134 points in 67 games for the Generals
Has 215 G, 218 A, 433 P in 247 OHL games..

Not to mention he has 247 OHL games...

Exactly. Tavares scored more goals and points that year than Duchene got in his two OHL seasons. He scored 45 goals as a 15 year old. His midget numbers were equally as absurd.

A lot of people here do not understand what kind of talent that is. IMO anyone who doesn't see 100+ points in Tavares' hands is a real idiot.

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
i cant see tavares on the wing. He's amazing with his passes which come out of nowhere and slide literally right through the crease of the net with nobody touching the puck. I THINK when its all said/done his playmaking might be what he's best known for.

35/40goals, 45-50assists this season is my guess. I would be ecstatic with him being a ppg player this season honestly. Absolutely no idea what his ceiling could be.

and that being said, i honeslty feel like his skating and conditioning is the ONLY things that would keep him from being a step below crosby/et al. cant wait for this season..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->