W Jimmy Snuggerud - Minnesota Golden Gophers, NCAA (2022, 23rd, STL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two way center with good size and skating. He's the captain of the American team at the YOG. He works hard, and does have some skill. I like his hockey IQ, as well. The question will probably be his offense. How much will it develop? Right now, I don't see anything too high-end offensively, but he can keep up with skill players. His father played in the NHL and at the Olympics.

Dave Snuggerud at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Snuggerud is the best defensive forward, in my opinion, on the U17 team at the NTDP.

I think he's very overshadowed, and is the type of player who could be a big star on a junior team. I think his offensive game is pretty underrated. He shoots the puck well and can make some high-end passes. I think there is realistic second line upside. He lacks flash. He's not going to make that many dangles, and his skating is probably a little weak, but there's offensive upside there. And his defensive game is pretty good. He's particularly good at reading plays, and using his stick to break up plays. If he's not good enough offensively for an NHL second or third line, I think he has the defensive game to play on a fourth line and be a 4th line PK center.

I don't know about a draft range for next year. It's hard to pinpoint one for a guy whose good but not elite. Players of his caliber are usually picked around the late 2nd or early 3rd round, so that would be my early guess, but like with all players, that could go up or down so far out from a draft.

Edit: I see I put his father's EP page in the OP. Here is Jimmy's page: Jimmy Snuggerud at eliteprospects.com

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Some of the NTDP guys seem to be flying under the radar this year. I think Snuggerud has a chance to be a first round pick.

This player doesn't come across as overly dynamic when I've watched him, but great shot and hockey sense. Currently second on the team in scoring.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know his numbers are way up this season, but I really don't see this big elevation he's supposedly had in his play this season.

I cannot back this guy being a first round pick. I'd even grant that I think his skating looks slightly improved. It's not a weakness.

But he's just not a high-end offensive guy. I like his shot, but it's not that good. Like 4-5 of his teammates shoot it better than him. He's not a high end playmaker or a real dangler with the puck. I can see him being a complimentary second line center, at his best. I don't think thats out of the question. But he may not have the offense for that. I think he's a second round pick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No shot theres only 8 posts here about him.

Should be a first rounder but he’s not as sexy as Nazar, Cooley, Howard or Gauthier in regards to USDP players.

It's the style of game he plays. Not flashy but generally very effective.

Safe bet to be a top 9 guy with his advanced two-way game and all-around skillset, but I think there's also top 6 scoring potential in him.

Hockey IQ is very good, has powerful shot that can beat goalies clean, and his hands and playmaking ability are pretty good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If the standard is that he’s a first rounder, I’m not a fan. He played this season on the top line almost all season with Cooley. He also got a PP role he didn’t get previously. I don’t think in the NHL he gets either of those roles.

He improved his shot and puck skills, which were already pretty underrated. But I thought nothing else improved besides that. He was turned into a one-dimensional sniping complimentary winger playing with Cooley.

He needs to get back to a defensive role. If he can combine being a stellar defensive center with improved scoring upside, he could be a second line center. But this role he played this season I don’t think he has the ability to stick in the NHL in that type of role. He’s not that good at it.

Reactions: JohnJim and Frk It

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The United States National Team Development Program had an extremely deep group of forwards on the Under-18 team this year. Chaska, Minnesota native Jimmy Snuggerud is part of that group. The winger scored 24 goals and 39 assists for 63 points in 58 games for the Under-18 squad, playing in the USHL and in exhibition games against NCAA competition. He also played for the American team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Snuggerud scored three goals and four assists for seven points in six tournament games. He helped the American team to a silver medal.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is going to get over-drafted because he played with Cooley. Him being stuck to Cooley's hip probably hurt Logan's overall production with his paltry finishing ability.

Hate his hockey IQ. He is singularly puck focused and unable to read his linemates.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Is going to get over-drafted because he played with Cooley. Him being stuck to Cooley's hip probably hurt Logan's overall production with his paltry finishing ability.

Hate his hockey IQ. He is singularly puck focused and unable to read his linemates.
Gotta hope he goes before 26 then, so that another 1st round talent is available to us.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
You guys really surprised me when you call him “2nd rounder”. Especially when the same time you say he can be a 2nd line center. In my view it’s a weak draft, and take a potentially 2nd liner in the end of first round… Any team will be lucky.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His game reminds me of Knies at times... He's going to go play with him too at Minnesota, awesome. Very underrated and by the looks of the thread under-spoke of prospect. Some super odd takes in this thread so far. 6'2 with room to grow; I think he will go sooner than most here apparently think. Cutter Gauthier flying up because of skating/size/skill combo...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Good value at this spot. I like his upside quite a bit. He grew on me during his NTDP career and flew a bit under the radar with guys like Cooley and Gauthier getting the attention.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad