C Jay O'Brien - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
According to schedule he has played 4 of their 5 games.
4 games
0 goals
0 assists
It’s not easy .........

squ2_root.gif

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
4 points in 18 games this season so far. Is there cause to worry with this pick or is he just a project?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
4 points in 18 games this season so far. Is there cause to worry with this pick or is he just a project?
Jay missed 11 games dealing with injuries as a freshman and is also playing in a touch conference against good teams.

Jay was probably projected as a long term project coming out of Thayer.
I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if he stays 4 seasons in Providence.

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
Jay missed 11 games dealing with injuries as a freshman and is also playing in a touch conference against good teams.

Jay was probably projected as a long term project coming out of Thayer.
I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if he stays 4 seasons in Providence.

Well this one has largely been a lost one...his coach seems like a big fan but with the adjustment and the injuries...really won’t hurt the Flyers if he’s a year or so longer as long as he gets there in the end. With Frost, Farabee, Rubtsov, Allison, Ratcliffe, etc...he’s got some competition.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
He needs to get a lot stronger. Coming right from prep school, its noticeable how he gets pushed off the puck and just thrown around by bigger/older players in college hockey this year.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He needs to get a lot stronger. Coming right from prep school, its noticeable how he gets pushed off the puck and just thrown around by bigger/older players in college hockey this year.
Yeah, I think the early concussion set him back, then he got sick at the WJC and couldn't play the last couple games at all. Just a bad luck year, but he's got wheels and a motor and a lot of skill, so I'm not worried long term. Another summer to work out and then a full college season and we'll see how he does. Coach does rave about him, which is good.

Reactions: Frannel and Dux917

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Jay O'Brien is in the NCAA transfer portal and will be leaving Providence to play in the BCHL per Jeff Cox.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Jay O'Brien is in the NCAA transfer portal and will be leaving Providence to play in the BCHL per Jeff Cox.

Interesting move. Not sure why the Flyers wouldn't advise him to go CHL route. Can't see this being very good for his development. A complete 180 going back to the BCHL, not even the USHL.

Anyone got a clue if this has ever happened with a 1st rounder? From NCAA - back to Jr A (non CHL) - then back to NCAA the following year? I know it has happened before with drafted players, but I don't recall any 1st rounders

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Not good at all for a 1st round pick. Hopefully he turns it around

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Have any top-end prospects sat out for a transfer and still developed well?

Seems like career suicide. Have to think the Flyers are pushing him to go to the Q instead.

Reactions: deflowd

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
What is the BCHL? I hardly read of prospect coming out of there so don’t know much about it

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Interesting move. Not sure why the Flyers wouldn't advise him to go CHL route. Can't see this being very good for his development. A complete 180 going back to the BCHL, not even the USHL.

Anyone got a clue if this has ever happened with a 1st rounder? From NCAA - back to Jr A (non CHL) - then back to NCAA the following year? I know it has happened before with drafted players, but I don't recall any 1st rounders

Actually, I think the Flyers are not happy with this turn of events. He should have played last year in the USHL - not stayed at prep school. He just wasn't ready for college hockey physically (he just got thrown around sometimes out there), and mentally - word is his attitude wasn't always great. Didn't buy into playing all aspects of the game - was used to just putting up points. He should have been at least a 3 year college player.

He'll get his points in the BCHL, as no one plays D there. But his overall game most likely won't get any better. Will not be shocked, if after next year the Flyers sign him and stick him in the AHL, to see what they got. Can't have a 1sr round pick, just popping back and forth between amateur leagues - they will want to take control of him sooner then later and try to get something from him. Flyers can't be happy with him quitting when things got a little tough, and taking the easier/more comfortable route for him and really going backwards to the BCHL...

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Actually, I think the Flyers are not happy with this turn of events. He should have played last year in the USHL - not stayed at prep school. He just wasn't ready for college hockey physically (he just got thrown around sometimes out there), and mentally - word is his attitude wasn't always great. Didn't buy into playing all aspects of the game - was used to just putting up points. He should have been at least a 3 year college player.

He'll get his points in the BCHL, as no one plays D there. But his overall game most likely won't get any better. Will not be shocked, if after next year the Flyers sign him and stick him in the AHL, to see what they got. Can't have a 1sr round pick, just popping back and forth between amateur leagues - they will want to take control of him sooner then later and try to get something from him. Flyers can't be happy with him quitting when things got a little tough, and taking the easier/more comfortable route for him and really going backwards to the BCHL...

BCHL is run and gun
no focus on D
probably more his style goibg end to end shinny style

Reactions: Dux917

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad