C Jay O'Brien - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Could have picked Alexander Romanov

The Flyers had two first round picks. They took a safe pick with Farabee then swung for the fences with JOB.

Their track record of late bloomers is solid and no reason to worry yet but the window is slowly closing

Reactions: FlyguyOX

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
The Flyers had two first round picks. They took a safe pick with Farabee then swung for the fences with JOB.

Their track record of late bloomers is solid and no reason to worry yet but the window is slowly closing

This next season will most likely be the make or break year for him. His back is already up against the wall. Still think it was a dumb move to go to the BCHL. Challenge and prove yourself in the USHL. The BCHL was 3 steps backwards

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
This next season will most likely be the make or break year for him. His back is already up against the wall. Still think it was a dumb move to go to the BCHL. Challenge and prove yourself in the USHL. The BCHL was 3 steps backwards

I believe there was a rule regarding him going to the USHL and then being directly eligible to play for another NCAA school. Not 100% sure though.

I agree though that he needs to show something soon at a higher level

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Provorov, Sanheim, Gostisbehere, York, and Zamula on the left side. We don’t need Romanov
Not the one saying you should have taken Romanov, but thought I’d point out that when O’Brien was picked the Flyers had neither York nor Zamula.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Could have picked Alexander Romanov

Everyone laughed at Habs for taking Romanov as high as they did in that draft, and Habs fans were pissed off. I remember the situation very distinctly. Nobody had him ranked as high as he went

Bizzare bump of this thread. This has nothing to do with O'Brien

Reactions: Teemu

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
What an odd bump by someone who lives in NJ?

I do wonder if they just don't bother signing him as by doing so, they re-coup a 2nd rounder for him. Not the worst situation to be in.
You do realize that a large portion of your fanbase lives in New Jersey, right?

Anyway, guy is looking like he won't be able to hack it in the AHL. Terrible first round selection

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Anyway, guy is looking like he won't be able to hack it in the AHL. Terrible first round selection

A devils fan shouldn't lecture anyone on terrible drafting.

Reactions: Tripod

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
I believe there was a rule regarding him going to the USHL and then being directly eligible to play for another NCAA school. Not 100% sure though.

I agree though that he needs to show something soon at a higher level

FYI, not a rule. Players leave NCAA and go to/back to USHL all the time. They can then transfer to another school or even go back to their previous college team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Yes...I do. You think he is a Flyers fan? Nope. Certainly if he is, he doesn't come on the teams board.

And yup, looking like a bad selection that if played properly, can still fetch a 2nd rounder by not signing him. Oh well, not the end of the world. Not like the Flyers have a depth roster spot for him anyways in the near future unless something drastically changes.

Guess we only came away from that draft with Farabee and an unsigned Zamula. Sucks.

Is McLeod going to make the Devils next year? He is such a great skater.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Too early to tell on O'Brien. Went from prep to Hockey East school and that was too large of a jump. Most go from prep-jr-Hockey east. This is the year he really needs to produce. He is a 99 birth year and now is a sink/swim season for him.

Reactions: Dux917

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Too early to tell on O'Brien. Went from prep to Hockey East school and that was too large of a jump. Most go from prep-jr-Hockey east. This is the year he really needs to produce. He is a 99 birth year and now is a sink/swim season for him.
With no possible NCAA season, who knows where he could play though.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
With no possible NCAA season, who knows where he could play though.

Well Hockey East the league he will play in announced they plan on having a season:
The Hockey East Association announced today its intent to play the 2020-21 college hockey season while prioritizing competition between league members and the completion of a regular-season schedule. Details regarding the new schedules, including a new start date and specifics of regular-season competition, will be released at a later date.

Realistically, every league in the world is up in the air at the moment.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well Hockey East the league he will play in announced they plan on having a season:
The Hockey East Association announced today its intent to play the 2020-21 college hockey season while prioritizing competition between league members and the completion of a regular-season schedule. Details regarding the new schedules, including a new start date and specifics of regular-season competition, will be released at a later date.

Realistically, every league in the world is up in the air at the moment.
Oh I didn't hear that they plan on playing. Thank you for sharing.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Yes...I do. You think he is a Flyers fan? Nope. Certainly if he is, he doesn't come on the teams board.

And yup, looking like a bad selection that if played properly, can still fetch a 2nd rounder by not signing him. Oh well, not the end of the world. Not like the Flyers have a depth roster spot for him anyways in the near future unless something drastically changes.

Guess we only came away from that draft with Farabee and an unsigned Zamula. Sucks.

Is McLeod going to make the Devils next year? He is such a great skater.
Nice. A second would be a good get

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Sure - he hasn't lived up to the expectation thus far but no harm in stashing him in the NCAA for the next few years (I assume he is looking to transfer to a new school after the BCHL season) and seeing what you have with him. The beauty of NCAA draftees is the extra long look you get before having to sign them.

Reactions: thethinglonger

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I remember people were really clowning on this pick back when he went to Junior A, but he currently is PPG at Boston University. How has his play looked and what do people feel his upside is at the NHL level at this point?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
When O'Brien left Providece for BCHL, some said he was done, that downward move shows that player has no future at NHL level.

Well, this year, we have at least two kids that made that move to transfer (NCAA -> BCHL -> NCAA) that are certainly going to get their shot at NHL: Jay O'Brien and Jack Lafontaine.

Reactions: Tripod

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I remember people were really clowning on this pick back when he went to Junior A, but he currently is PPG at Boston University. How has his play looked and what do people feel his upside is at the NHL level at this point?

PPG in the NCAA for a 21 year old mid first round pick is the expectation. Should really be starting his pro career already at his age. Glad he’s bouncing back, though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So he has 13 pts in 12 games. Leads teh forwards in pts on his team with the next best forward having 9 pts. In fact, the next forwards have 9, 8, 8 then 6 pts.

So not exactly high scoring. As an example, since Jan 8th when JOB's NCAA season started, Wisconsin has 4 forwards with at least 18 pts in 14 games.

Not quite the same.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see if he goes to AHL next season...or the Flyers just let things play out and re-coup a 2nd rounder instead. They don't have any "need" for him in the near future, so just might bank the pick. But of course if they think he can be a 3rd liner for example, might just let him develop in the AHL for a few years.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->