C Jay O'Brien - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bust written all over him, there were much better players taken after him. I bet the Flyers regret this pick.
Well, on not-as-dark side of it, it's not the current GM's fault. But it is still a 2nd round pick coming to them down the line, so that's a positive.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Yeah Princeton-Providence sorry.

I'm just not a linear type of guy probably. Guy can have huge D+1, average D+2, lousy D+3 ( do you need names?) but other way around is not an option. There is some kind of timeline that must be followed.

Of course he is behind, way behind. But dead? Worst since 2006? Scout-firing pick?

Whats your opinion on Sam Morin?

I remember the Peter Forsberg 1991 pick. Had my THN draft special with top 50 prospects with photos and bios. Then at 6 Flyers pick that acne-filled Swede. Could not believe it. If memory serves he had his name and country in the Notable sections and nothing more. As a teen got very upset. Right there 15 minutes after the pick. Never saw the guy play like most with JOB and others. Rest is history. And by the way his D+1 year was a bummer. Took off after. For the record i dont expect that type of scenario in case some here read it wrong.

No of course everyone’s development isnt linear. I just dont see how he develops whatsoever in the BCHL, its like 3 steps backwards and you rarely see a player with his resume do this. Of course hes not dead, and its not fair to call him a bust quite yet

Reactions: MSSLYNX

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
No of course everyone’s development isnt linear. I just dont see how he develops whatsoever in the BCHL, its like 3 steps backwards and you rarely see a player with his resume do this. Of course hes not dead, and its not fair to call him a bust quite yet
Not directed at you, but I’ve never understood the HF rush to declare prospects as busts, like it’s some “I called it” game. Some guys take longer. Injuries play a huge role. Brett Connolly is a great example, struggled with concussions but came back to have a good career. Scott Laughton had the same thing and Nolan Patrick has had concussions to start both of his seasons. They don’t talk about it, but I wonder if O’Brien’s concussion affected his school grades as well as his hockey confidence. I wish him health and a good year, then a good college year, then turn pro and we’ll see.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Not directed at you, but I’ve never understood the HF rush to declare prospects as busts, like it’s some “I called it” game. Some guys take longer. Injuries play a huge role. Brett Connolly is a great example, struggled with concussions but came back to have a good career. Scott Laughton had the same thing and Nolan Patrick has had concussions to start both of his seasons. They don’t talk about it, but I wonder if O’Brien’s concussion affected his school grades as well as his hockey confidence. I wish him health and a good year, then a good college year, then turn pro and we’ll see.
Yep, people feel validated online when, a few years later, they can brag about being right on one of their tens or hundreds of predictions.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Beyond getting his scoring touch back, whatever league he plays in - he really needs to get his head on straight next year. "Quitting" when things get a little tough, is never a good look. And being dropped down a peg in the BCHL may be good for him, as word is last season he sorta acted like "the first round draft pick" at school, even when other freshman that were drafted lower or weren't even drafted - we're just clearly better them him.

BCHL will for sure feel more comfortable for him - like prep school, with the style more offensive minded. Just don't think it will help his overall game and get him ready for the pro game. Flyers may need to sign him after next year, and force feed him to the AHL, as to not let his "complete" game never develop.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
After a year in the BCHL it is reported that O'Brien will head to BU to continue his NCAA career.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Flyers 1st round pick Jay O’Brien with 1st
2b50.png
at opening night of HD pro league with a big 7-4 win over a BU heavy #TeamKing

As per Twitter. 6 players from opposing team from Boston U.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
BCHL??? The compete level there is not great and he was a 1st round draft prospect? This is not looking good, hopefully he dominates that competition. He was a big reach at last years draft (mid second round talent) and is looking like a bad pick already. I don't mean to jump the gun, but this is a bad sign.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
O’Brien simply needs to get healthy, get stronger and put on weight. He has the skill, speed, IQ and shot to make it to the show. He just needs time.

Going to the BCHL affords him time, top line minutes and access to the weight room.

By the time he gets to BU, he will be ready to compete against men.

Everyone calm down.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Everyone does need to calm down, but damn if O’Brien isn’t going to have a target on his back for Penticton next year. Surely will be fun to watch, and I hope he rips it up.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
If he does grow (physically and mentally), next year - he may never even get too BU. Flyers could sign him after next season and put him in the AHL to even quicken his progression.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Well, on not-as-dark side of it, it's not the current GM's fault. But it is still a 2nd round pick coming to them down the line, so that's a positive.
It's the scouting staff's fault, and they're basically the same.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wow. That's really surprising....a former 1st rounder in his D+2 going to Junior-A...wtf?!

I'm not sure I understand that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow. That's really surprising....a former 1st rounder in his D+2 going to Junior-A...wtf?!

I'm not sure I understand that.
It's NCAA law, if you want to transfer schools on a sports scholarship you have to sit out an entire year, so he's playing that year in junior A. It seemed that he wasn't a fit with Providence, it happens and people make mistakes. I wouldn't write him off yet, but he definitely doesn't look like a 1st rounder anymore - Flyer fans should be hopeful he can still develop into a third line-bottom 6 forward.

Was he invited to Flyers development camp? If he wasn't, that is a pretty telling sign what they think of him since wasn't he Hextall's last prospect before he was fired?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
It's NCAA law, if you want to transfer schools on a sports scholarship you have to sit out an entire year, so he's playing that year in junior A. It seemed that he wasn't a fit with Providence, it happens and people make mistakes. I wouldn't write him off yet, but he definitely doesn't look like a 1st rounder anymore - Flyer fans should be hopeful he can still develop into a third line-bottom 6 forward.

Was he invited to Flyers development camp? If he wasn't, that is a pretty telling sign what they think of him since wasn't he Hextall's last prospect before he was fired?
Of course he was... what is this??? He is a first round pick from 2018 geez. Putting a bottom forward tag on him at this point is pretty amazing.

Wasnt he last prospect since Hextall was fired??? Guess that would mean Hextall was fired just before the 2nd round in June. He was fired in November because he would not give some slack to his retooling policy.

From yesterday: Flyers prospect Jay O’Brien trying to bounce back, wherever he plays

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Of course he was... what is this??? He is a first round pick from 2018 geez. Putting a bottom forward tag on him at this point is pretty amazing.

Wasnt he last prospect since Hextall was fired??? Guess that would mean Hextall was fired just before the 2nd round in June. He was fired in November because he would not give some slack to his retooling policy.

From yesterday: Flyers prospect Jay O’Brien trying to bounce back, wherever he plays
put that silly link away, the last 2-3 pages of this thread are only to be hot takes, fly by judgements, and zero context towards this kid...nothing to see here all, please continue with bashing the kid and calling him a bust at 19..

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Looking for some comments from Providence's coach. So far all i've got is this from April 2019: Providence head coach Nate Leaman, who led the Friars to a national title in 2015, called O'Brien's skill set "elite." "It takes time to learn to play at the speed, to play with the lack of space," Leaman said in January during a phone interview with NBC Sports Philadelphia (see story). "These guys that come right from high school, it takes time and I know Philly has told us that they understand that also."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad