C Jake Wise, Boston University Terriers - 69th overall 2018

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Ranked #40 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #63 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #45 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #62 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #38 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #52 by TSN/McKenzie

Wise has been one of the most touted players in his age group for years. He’s no longer a true elite prospect, but he’s still a very good one. After returning from a first-half injury, he was very good for the USNTDP. To start, he’s quite skilled. He’s coordinated handling the puck and can make defenders miss. He also shows very good two-way IQ. One may even say he’s — Wise beyond his years. I apologize for nothing. Wise can set up tough plays and can play center competently in his own end. He’s not an overly physical kind of guy, but he works hard to cover his checks and can PK. Wise has a very good shot, but on a team with Wahlstrom, he’s been delegated as more of a playmaker at the NTDP and stylistically I think he prefers to make a play as opposed to take the shot. His feet are not great for his size, but he has an above-average top gear and a decent first step. -- Corey Pronman

Under the radar performer who is a terrific skater with strong skill set. His year was marred by various nagging injuries. An average skater who is a good two-way player whether lined up at centre or either wing. He is smart on the ice, good in the dot, supports the puck, shows creativity in the attack. Committed to Boston University where he will hone his skills hopefully ascending to a strong third line NHL centre. -- Bill Plazcek

Stylistically, there’s a lot to like about the young forward’s game. while he’s small at 5-foot-10, he’s extremely thick, tipping the scales at 190 pounds. The rhetoric that usually surrounds shorter prospects would normally dictate that there would be concerns about Wise’s defensive acumen, but to his credit, he’s earned praise repeatedly for his defensive awareness and two-way play. He’s earned comparisons to Brad Marchand at times, and while he doesn’t possess the grit that’s become a staple of Marchand’s game, the comparison isn’t entirely without merit. Offensively, Wise does a lot of things that make him stand out. He’s an exceptional playmaker who was able to help a wide variety of teammates create goals. He’s also got an incredibly sneaky wrist shot that most scouts have remarked he ought to make use of more often. Wise was able to create offence in a wide variety of contexts but looked especially dangerous setting up teammates on the power play. -- Jackson McDonald

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kid fell far. Fallers usually don’t succeed like risers, but not sure why he fell. Lack of high end tools?
so many players that have dropped have been success, with Wise, a massive run on defense and teams simply view him as a#2/3 center - up to Wise to prove them wrong and show why he was ranked top 10 at one point. kid can play solid both sides of the puck, is responsible and smart, great at the dot, has a solid shot but doesn't use it enough - kid is like Nick Schmaltz but better away from the puck..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
very few players have put up the ppg Wise did during their draft year in the USHL and not been a success...just keep it in mind, kid was hurt for stretches past 2 years, had to take second fiddle to 2019 #1 overall Jack Hughes...we just landed a kid with a mountain of upside.

those who follow these kids said this is a Hawks pick, and we had him at 27th overall...getting him here is just absolute robbery - Ian Mitchell level thievery,.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And in Teuvos draft, Fillip Forsberg was considered a faller to 9.

But it certainly is a Stan Kelley trend to get fallers that were praised real higher but had maybe lesser than wanted draft seasons. Krys also fits to that group.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
I don't follow prospects nearly as much as some of the people who post here, but I've seen a decent amount of rankings/mocks and feel like I've seen this kid's name as high as the late first/early second. Pretty cool to grab a guy like that in the third round.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've been making my way around the website to the different sections to tell certain fan bases picks of theirs I really liked, and I've reached Chicago.

What a pick this was. 3rd round for this kid? NHL teams are dumb. I had Wise ranked 14th.

Wise does just about everything well. He's a really talented and well-rounded center. The only two knocks on him are that he's undersized and he doesn't shoot enough. While he's undersized, he plays bigger than he is. He has a stocky build. He's built like a brick. He has 3% body fat. So while he might only be 5'10, he's a strong 5'10, and he's a very hard worker in all three zones. He's 5'10, but he's the type of 5'10 player you could put in front of your net on the PP, and he'll battle in front with the bigger defensemen. He should be able to stick at center. As for his shot, he actually has a very good shot, but he's a definite pass first guy. Its likely going to be a chore to get him to shoot the puck more.

Definitely a skilled player who can put up points, hold onto possession, beat players 1v1. He's not going to be Kane in that respect, but he can make plays. Good, not elite, skater. Smart player, relentless worker. And he's a very reliable defensive guy. Might've been the best FO guy in the draft, key PK player for the NTDP program. He was on the top PK.

As I've discussed with @AmericanDream over in the prospect section a lot this season, I think Wise really suffers in perception. He missed the first half the season due to injury after having a bad 2016-17 season. At that point, it seemed questionable whether he'd even get taken in the draft. There are a lot of these guys who are highly regarded, and then fall off the radar before the draft, and you wonder how they've went from big name to not even drafted in two years. Wise quietly stormed back the second half of the season, and had one of the best PPG averages in the USHL for a U18 since 2000. He did this without playing with Hughes or Wahlstrom at ES. He was a second line guy that got a lot of D-zone starts. I think Wise's success really got lost in the Wahlstrom, Hughes, Farabee, Wilde, Miller, etc circus with all these big names from the NTDP. I see no reason to think he doesn't have a good chance to be a top 6 forward from the center position.

I also thought the Boqvist pick was great. I was hoping he'd drop one more spot. I think five NHL teams are going to be made to pay for their mistake, but thats another story.

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I've been making my way around the website to the different sections to tell certain fan bases picks of theirs I really liked, and I've reached Chicago.

What a pick this was. 3rd round for this kid? NHL teams are dumb. I had Wise ranked 14th.

Wise does just about everything well. He's a really talented and well-rounded center. The only two knocks on him are that he's undersized and he doesn't shoot enough. While he's undersized, he plays bigger than he is. He has a stocky build. He's built like a brick. He has 3% body fat. So while he might only be 5'10, he's a strong 5'10, and he's a very hard worker in all three zones. He's 5'10, but he's the type of 5'10 player you could put in front of your net on the PP, and he'll battle in front with the bigger defensemen. He should be able to stick at center. As for his shot, he actually has a very good shot, but he's a definite pass first guy. Its likely going to be a chore to get him to shoot the puck more.

Definitely a skilled player who can put up points, hold onto possession, beat players 1v1. He's not going to be Kane in that respect, but he can make plays. Good, not elite, skater. Smart player, relentless worker. And he's a very reliable defensive guy. Might've been the best FO guy in the draft, key PK player for the NTDP program. He was on the top PK.

As I've discussed with @AmericanDream over in the prospect section a lot this season, I think Wise really suffers in perception. He missed the first half the season due to injury after having a bad 2016-17 season. At that point, it seemed questionable whether he'd even get taken in the draft. There are a lot of these guys who are highly regarded, and then fall off the radar before the draft, and you wonder how they've went from big name to not even drafted in two years. Wise quietly stormed back the second half of the season, and had one of the best PPG averages in the USHL for a U18 since 2000. He did this without playing with Hughes or Wahlstrom at ES. He was a second line guy that got a lot of D-zone starts. I think Wise's success really got lost in the Wahlstrom, Hughes, Farabee, Wilde, Miller, etc circus with all these big names from the NTDP. I see no reason to think he doesn't have a good chance to be a top 6 forward from the center position.

I also thought the Boqvist pick was great. I was hoping he'd drop one more spot. I think five NHL teams are going to be made to pay for their mistake, but thats another story.
Thanks for the info on Jake Pavel! Excited to see him progress to the big league.
Re Boqvist .. I am equally thrilled to hear your take on him though I wouldn't mind your sense on his concussion history as I imagine that may be what influenced picks 3 through 7 to pass on him. Thx

migi

Feb 25, 2015
The way everybody speaks highly about this kid makes me smile a lot.

Do you guys see him more like offensive minded C or is he good defensively? Somebody mentioned Brayden Point here and he is very good defensively.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The way everybody speaks highly about this kid makes me smile a lot.

Do you guys see him more like offensive minded C or is he good defensively? Somebody mentioned Brayden Point here and he is very good defensively.
Some people mentioned Schmaltz in that 2way sense but maybe even better, but that he also needs to shoot more like Nick needs to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad