C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ya, that's great. And if all the players do that....there won't be an OHL. How about letting the league have a level playing field?

You're a Leaf fan...what if Mathews and Marner both told them NOT to draft them, they wanted to play somewhere else? You in favor of that?
If the OHL was paying these kid 6 figure salary's under collectively bargained rules it might be a different story. Right now they are giving them a stipend and an education package that expires 18 months after you finish playing.

But, what you proposed will never happen. Too many kids chase the dream and are willing to play anywhere. Very few have that level of control that someone like Hughes does. Maybe if teams don't want to be dodged they should improve their facilities and development process. Its not like the Knights were like this pre-Hunter's or Windsor was pre-Rychel.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Ya, that's great. And if all the players do that....there won't be an OHL. How about letting the league have a level playing field?

You're a Leaf fan...what if Mathews and Marner both said they were going to the K, so the Leafs don't draft them. Then the Hawks pick them with their 1st and 2nd and they sign..., You in favor of that? Didn't think so.

While I don't necessarily agree with the poster you quoted, there is a huge difference between the OHL and the NHL. Being on a good team with top facilities and good exposure can have a significant effect on a teenager's development. In the NHL, all teams have A++ facilities, etc.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
If the OHL was paying these kid 6 figure salary's under collectively bargained rules it might be a different story. Right now they are giving them a stipend and an education package that expires 18 months after you finish playing.

But, what you proposed will never happen. Too many kids chase the dream and are willing to play anywhere. Very few have that level of control that someone like Hughes does. Maybe if teams don't want to be dodged they should improve their facilities and development process. Its not like the Knights were like this pre-Hunter's or Windsor was pre-Rychel.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying would you like it if it did? Would it be fair if top players decided they wanted to play for the Hawks?

That's the bs the OHL is dealing with. If the draft doesn't work the way it's supposed to (worst teams get best players for the most part) then somethings wrong. I have zero problem with Hughes saying he's going the US route. I DO however have a problem if he's just trying to go to London.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
While I don't necessarily agree with the poster you quoted, there is a huge difference between the OHL and the NHL. Being on a good team with top facilities and good exposure can have a significant effect on a teenager's development. In the NHL, all teams have A++ facilities, etc.

McDavid didn't need to go to London. Ekblad. Mathews. Laine. (I could go on and on) Neither does Hughes. When you're considered the top pick in the draft do you really need exposure? Your name is already on everyone in the hockey worlds tongue, and you haven't even played junior yet.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying would you like it if it did? Would it be fair if top players decided they wanted to play for the Hawks?

That's the bs the OHL is dealing with. If the draft doesn't work the way it's supposed to (worst teams get best players for the most part) then somethings wrong. I have zero problem with Hughes saying he's going the US route. I DO however have a problem if he's just trying to go to London.
Taylor Hall forced his way to Windsor, and Mackinnon to Halifax, there are countless examples over the years.

We aren't talking about professionals, we are talking about 16-year-old kids and their parents. I think they should find the best developmental system for their kids. Certain teams have sub-par facilities and a history of dysfunction (Sudbury and Flint are the first that come to mind).

Maybe those teams should look inward at their own issues, before blaming parents and kids who want to put their kid in the best position to make the NHL. The OHL isn't a professional league with a collectively bargained agreement with the players. To compare it to the NHL is so far-reaching it ridiculous given the vast differences in facilities, location (yes, some parents want to still be close to their kids), and so on.

I doubt Hughes wants to hold out all summer to get his way, my bet he's in the USNTDP.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Taylor Hall forced his way to Windsor, and Mackinnon to Halifax, there are countless examples over the years.

We aren't talking about professionals, we are talking about 16-year-old kids and their parents. I think they should find the best developmental system for their kids. Certain teams have sub-par facilities and a history of dysfunction (Sudbury and Flint are the first that come to mind).

Maybe those teams should look inward at their own issues, before blaming parents and kids who want to put their kid in the best position to make the NHL. The OHL isn't a professional league with a collectively bargained agreement with the players. To compare it to the NHL is so far-reaching it ridiculous given the vast differences in facilities, location (yes, some parents want to still be close to their kids), and so on.

I doubt Hughes wants to hold out all summer to get his way, my bet he's in the USNTDP.

I'm a fan of junior hockey. I want the Peterborough Petes and the Val D'ors to survive. I'm just sick of teams like the Knights getting special treatment. I respect their management...I just don't think they deserve any help at winning. When they get a guy like Domi feeding a bunch of bs it's just not right.

I agree that Hughes is likely just going the NTDP route. Nice talking to ya...:cheers:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wow, so Sauga gambled on him at 8 (pick they got for a non-reporting Nihznikov). Quite a bold move for someone not likely to report.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wow, so Sauga gambled on him at 8 (pick they got for a non-reporting Nihznikov). Quite a bold move for someone not likely to report.

8 might be a bit early but pretty sure they can trade him for assets like they did with Nizhnikov.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
8 might be a bit early but pretty sure they can trade him for assets like they did with Nizhnikov.
That sort of depends if there is even a team he is willing to report to. It will be interesting, to say the least. It may end up a wasted pick most likely similar to how the Tyler Weiss situation in Sarnia looks.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011

I'm pretty sure there's a rule preventing a team from doing that 2 years in a row.

Maybe they are hoping he reports after 2 years?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This definitely seems like a London Knights set up. if I was a team in the OHL, I would draft him and not trade him to London out of spite
If you are a team in the east, why wouldn't you? You acquire assets, plus the same pick in next years draft (how the Steelheads got this pick in the first place because Nizhnikov wouldn't report).

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Again, I'm pretty sure the Steelheads could not get another compensatory pick for next year, so that reduces the attractiveness of trading him from a futures point of view.

One thing the Steelheads could possibly do is to keep his rights until the underage trading window in January and then flip him to London for player assets as well as picks. Missy will be good again next year so this might make sense for a run

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If you are a team in the east, why wouldn't you? You acquire assets, plus the same pick in next years draft (how the Steelheads got this pick in the first place because Nizhnikov wouldn't report).

As I said I would do it out of spite to try make a statement to the way London operates is not fair to the rest of the league and if this guy doesn't want to play for any other team in the OHL he can rot in hell, he isn't playing for London and I will make sure of that.

Other teams need to stand up to London else they will continue to operate as is

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
As I said I would do it out of spite to try make a statement to the way London operates is not fair to the rest of the league and if this guy doesn't want to play for any other team in the OHL he can rot in hell, he isn't playing for London and I will make sure of that.

Other teams need to stand up to London else they will continue to operate as is

No, they don't.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
For those of us who don't follow the OHL very closely, would he have gone ahead of Suzuki without the NTDP factor?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
For those of us who don't follow the OHL very closely, would he have gone ahead of Suzuki without the NTDP factor?
Most likely. It is unclear if Suzuki would have gone ahead of Beecher and Turcotte if both weren't USNTDP.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know this was mentioned earlier in this thread -

Interesting that the OHL page is calling Bertuzzi as an American as 4 Americans picked in the 1st round of the draft along with Hughes, Robertson, and Harley.

Now I know he is born in the US, so maybe that's why they are saying that, but even more interesting is when you click on his name, they have him from MI but Canadian?? I am shocked they didn't even put dual for him like they did with Hughes.

just throwing that out there.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I know this was mentioned earlier in this thread -

Interesting that the OHL page is calling Bertuzzi as an American as 4 Americans picked in the 1st round of the draft along with Hughes, Robertson, and Harley.

Now I know he is born in the US, so maybe that's why they are saying that, but even more interesting is when you click on his name, they have him from MI but Canadian?? I am shocked they didn't even put dual for him like they did with Hughes.

just throwing that out there.

Bertuzzi was born in Canada

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Big day for the Dogs yesterday. I like what they did in the draft, especially in the middle rounds.

As for current (and former at this point) Bulldogs, it was a big day too.

Niki Petti with his first pro game and goal! Matt Luff poised to make his debut with Ontario in the near future, Entwistle and Strome off at U18s!

Some guys I can see getting drafted/camp invites are Strome, Entwistle, Saigeon, Gleason, Studenic, Lemcke, and Fulcher in no particular order.

Do either Cram or Carty get contracts or invites? Both are good enough to be given a shot IMO.

????

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Bertuzzi was born in Birmingham Michigan. Its why he had any consideration for the USNDP.

This is what I am going off of.
Bertuzzi and his wife, Julie, were married in July 1996.[111] They have two children born one-and-a-half years apart in Vancouver, a son named Tag and a daughter named Jaden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi#cite_note-force-1
T
The Vancouver, B.C., native is the third Bertuzzi to be selected in the Storm’s 26-year history, with father Todd standing as the team’s first ever pick, fifth overall in the 1991 OHL Priority Selection, and Tyler Bertuzzi, the nephew of Todd and cousin of Tag, selected in the fourth round in the 2011 draft.[/QUOTE
https://www.guelphmercury.com/sport...-overall-pick-in-ontario-hockey-league-draft/

Perhaps you have something that shows different?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is what I am going off of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi#cite_note-force-1

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=279765

I always thought he was born in the US, grew up there, then played in Canada a few years back...I could be wrong as well, but Elite Prospects seems to validate that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->