Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eichel
Matthews
Hughes/Kane

1 and 2 are interchangeable. 3 and 4 are interchangeable, but I think they are definitely below 1 and 2.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
His numbers with the u18 team are pretty insane.

Right now only Patrick Kane has a higher points-per-game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him end next season with the highest the program has seen.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
His numbers with the u18 team are pretty insane.

Right now only Patrick Kane has a higher points-per-game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him end next season with the highest the program has seen.
What makes it more impressive is that Hughes is putting up those numbers a year younger than Kane. Hughes is still 16.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
there is no issue, we are comparing their u-17 seasons, regardless of someone being a late birthday or not...
I fully understand development and a player having extra months at these critical years - but pound for pound in their first season with the USNDP, Hughes has literally smoked everyone who has played for this program including Matthews and Eichel and Kessel and Keller...it is impressive

Yeah but no one is saying it isn't impressive, just that it's disingenuous to say it's more impressive than Matthews' and Eichel's same season.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
He's a mature kid and his goal made it 8-1.
It's not for the first time he hasn't celebrated one of his goals. If you compare his reactions to his goals now to that early on in the current season there is definitely a change. I'm not critizising it, just stating. Maybe realizes for himself that he is on another level already and should play college hockey next season...

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Really wish he stuck to the OHL it would have made viewings much easier. I’m excited to see how he does in his draft year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s better than Eichel. If you compare their two sets of numbers, Hughes has played at a higher level than Eichel. I think he’ll land somewhere in betweenness McDavid and Eichel if you ask me

He might be putting up better numbers than Eichel, but how much of an impact can he really have at his size?

Its like asking if Kane is a better player than Eichel. I think most would take Eichel. Unless Hughes is going to be up there for first in points in the league just about every season, I don't know if his overall contribution is better than Eichel or Matthews. I'm not sure Hughes can stick at center with his playing style at his size.

Reactions: TimeZone

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
He might be putting up better numbers than Eichel, but how much of an impact can he really have at his size?

Its like asking if Kane is a better player than Eichel. I think most would take Eichel. Unless Hughes is going to be up there for first in points in the league just about every season, I don't know if his overall contribution is better than Eichel or Matthews. I'm not sure Hughes can stick at center with his playing style at his size.
He’s still 16 years old. He has lots of time to put on weight, and can still grow. 5’10 isn’t a bad size at all. No doubt he stays at center.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s still 16 years old. He has lots of time to put on weight, and can still grow. 5’10 isn’t a bad size at all. No doubt he stays at center.

Its not being 5'10, its that he currently doesn't have the build for the position. It requires more physicality and battling in the tough areas to play center.

But you are right, he still has time. I just wouldn't be sure he definitely sticks at center. Kane, Marner, Keller could've probably all "stuck" at center, but their teams decided they were better wingers than centers.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC

People keep complaining about size but then you have to realize the game has changed nowadays, it's faster and more uptempo. It's still 1 year away till his draft day and Crosby turned out amazing only being 3 cm taller (5'11) + 180lbs albeit about 20 pounds heavier.

Hughes according to eliteprospects is 5'10 + 157lbs so he's got time to grow and gain weight if needed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
People keep complaining about size but then you have to realize the game has changed nowadays, it's faster and more uptempo. It's still 1 year away till his draft day and Crosby turned out amazing only being 3 cm taller (5'11) + 180lbs albeit about 20 pounds heavier.

Hughes according to eliteprospects is 5'10 + 157lbs so he's got time to grow and gain weight if needed.

Crosby has a very stocky build, Hughes doesn't. As I mentioned already, its more of his build than his height. The kid needs to put on a solid 30 pounds to play center in the NHL.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Its not being 5'10, its that he currently doesn't have the build for the position. It requires more physicality and battling in the tough areas to play center.

But you are right, he still has time. I just wouldn't be sure he definitely sticks at center. Kane, Marner, Keller could've probably all "stuck" at center, but their teams decided they were better wingers than centers.

The game is trending towards smaller players nowadays. I’m not worried at all considering how dominant he is, but I see where you’re coming from. Again, sometimes it takes nutrition coaches and strict regiments that professional coaching help can deliver.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I remember a lot of people questioned the size of Patrick Kane when he was selected 1st overall and doubted him. Guess it was not a factor.

The same also apply for Gaudreau.

If you are an elite stick handler, skater and have hockey sense through the roof it does not mater of big you are.

He should bulk up a bit and get stronger especially to his core but he does not require to get 30 more pounds to play in the NHL.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015

People forget that crosby is 5’11”. Hes thic af but yea you don’t need to be 6’2” to be a dominant center

Reactions: Tryamkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->