C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What type of schedule would he play next year if he weren't in college? I think it's safe to say we're at a point where if he isn't playing college next season he will still be the favorite to go first overall, but will it hurt him at all if he doesn't get his schooling done to play next year?
Current USNTDP men's schedule. A mix of USHL, international events (5 Nations, 4 Nations, U-18's) and NCAA exhibition games. He should have a very strong shot at making the U-20's. Only 17-year-olds to crack that in recent years are Matthews, Trouba, Hanifin, Eric Johnson, JVR, Eichel, Kessel, Jordan Schroeder, Jason Zucker, Chad Krys, and Werenski. If you just look at the forwards in the 2010's its a pretty elite group of Matthews and Eichel.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Quinn, Jack Hughes: The present, and maybe future, of Michigan hockey

A new article about the Hughes kids, and where Jack might go next year. The family acknowledges playing with Quinn at Michigan makes a lot of sense, and looks like if he wanted to he would be able to accelerate schooling. Jack also speaks highly of the NTDP. I would guess that its either Michigan or Plymouth next year, doesn't seem like going to Mississauga or any other college is likely.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin

A new article about the Hughes kids, and where Jack might go next year. The family acknowledges playing with Quinn at Michigan makes a lot of sense, and looks like if he wanted to he would be able to accelerate schooling. Jack also speaks highly of the NTDP. I would guess that its either Michigan or Plymouth next year, doesn't seem like going to Mississauga or any other college is likely.
To me it sounds more like UMich than NTDP.... no?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

If he wanted to play in Sauga he would have been there this year. I don't see him coming back at this point. If the Knights managed to get him, he would have come, but that changed throughout the course of this year.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Yeah, you kind of get the feeling it may likely be Michigan from the article, but that could just be how the writer framed it. But yeah I'd say 98% its ether Michigan or NTDP, and further I'd say Michigan is the more likely of the two.

I think on of the more notable things in the article is that should he chose to there would be no issue accelerating his high school graduation. Some people thought there might be a few hangups especially with his hybrid of Canadian/ American High School if he would have the time to complete it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If he wanted to play in Sauga he would have been there this year. I don't see him coming back at this point. If the Knights managed to get him, he would have come, but that changed throughout the course of this year.

why do you say that? plenty of players who went to the USNDP for 2 years then left to the OHL...Blade Jenkins played 1 year with the USNDP then left...so not sure why he would have been there already to be honest..

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
why do you say that? plenty of players who went to the USNDP for 2 years then left to the OHL...Blade Jenkins played 1 year with the USNDP then left...so not sure why he would have been there already to be honest..
He had no interest in playing for the Steelheads. They drafted him as a long-shot. If he slipped to London, my guess is he would have reported there. Since that didn't happen, he followed through on the USNTDP commitment. If he wanted to play in the OHL regardless of teams, he would have reported this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He had no interest in playing for the Steelheads. They drafted him as a long-shot. If he slipped to London, my guess is he would have reported there. Since that didn't happen, he followed through on the USNTDP commitment. If he wanted to play in the OHL regardless of teams, he would have reported this year.

ok, thats where I was confused...yes I agree playing for the Steelheads was never an interest for him. If he was drafted by London, Windsor, or Erie then yeah there would be a case for him to play...but you still can't assume he won't jump when so many USNDP kids do jump to the OHL after 1/2 years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ok, thats where I was confused...yes I agree playing for the Steelheads was never an interest for him. If he was drafted by London, Windsor, or Erie then yeah there would be a case for him to play...but you still can't assume he won't jump when so many USNDP kids do jump to the OHL after 1/2 years.
I heard it was London or bust, but Windsor may have been able to sell him. I don't think Erie is a prestige program yet, they were able to get kids after McDavid went there, but previously, players purposely avoided it (most notably Taylor Hall).

If he wasn't as highly touted I could see him jumping over at 18. But, realistically, its very rare for a highly touted kid getting ice-time to leave the program between 16 and 17. You saw Max Jones and Kirwan do it, but usually when guys leave, its more like Jenkins, who wasn't getting ice-time. Now, you do see a bunch of highly touted guys from the non-traditional college markets go CHL after they finish up like Kane (upstate New York), and Jones (Texas). The kids from the Mid-West or New England almost exclusively go NCAA.

In the end, I'd be a bit surprised if he is anywhere but the NHL in 18 months. The only question is size, but guys like Kane, Ehlers, and Marner played in the NHL as tiny teenagers.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Interesting article. It really doesn't say which way he's leaning for next year. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I didn't know that Hughes had applied for exceptional status with the OHL. How different things would be had the league granted his request...

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Interesting article. It really doesn't say which way he's leaning for next year. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I didn't know that Hughes had applied for exceptional status with the OHL. How different things would be had the league granted his request...
Are there rules about Americans being granted exceptional status? I know it's unlikely cause most prefer NCAA, but I wonder if that would ever factor into granting it or not.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Are there rules about Americans being granted exceptional status? I know it's unlikely cause most prefer NCAA, but I wonder if that would ever factor into granting it or not.
I have always thought it did, as if they wouldn't want an American kid coming in as "exceptional" but I am not sure anymore. They did give it to Sean Day who had to "pretend" to be Canadian to get his hahaha...now Day represents the US or at least has been going to the WJC tryouts for the US...I think they are just being more careful with handing these things out and I don't blame them with that to be honest.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have always thought it did, as if they wouldn't want an American kid coming in as "exceptional" but I am not sure anymore. They did give it to Sean Day who had to "pretend" to be Canadian to get his hahaha...now Day represents the US or at least has been going to the WJC tryouts for the US...I think they are just being more careful with handing these things out and I don't blame them with that to be honest.
Haha, its funny how Day went back to being American after Hockey Canada basically decided they didn't want much to do with him after he showed up 20 to 30 pounds overweight for the Hlinka camp. Logan Brown also went back to American after being cut. The Day situation was weird, but remember he only had Belgian and Canadian citizenship up until a bit more than a year ago. So, at that point in time, the only Hockey power he could have represented was Canada, so it wasn't really pretending.

I don't think they would hesitate giving it to an American. The reason for this is, it keeps the CHL as looking like the dominant developmental league. The more American prodigies that go to the USNTDP and/or NCAA then succeed in the NHL hurts the CHL's overall appeal. We've slowly seen more highly touted Canadians going the NCAA or USHL route. So, for the CHL to have a claim in helping develop the best American players is good for them overall.

I don't think they granted it to Hughes, because they were worried after Sean Day, and Hughes was way smaller than anyone else they granted it to. Ekblad was built like a full grown man at 15, Day was a big guy, and Tavares was always very stocky. Veleno and McDavid were smaller builds but still were significantly bigger than Hughes. Other Canadian players in recent years have thought about applying and have been told it would be pointless. That happened with Ho-Sang (viewed as a GTHL prodigy). John McFarland also applied and was denied.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I thought after seeing where he was playing his hockey that this kid at the very least had dual status but apparently he doesn't.

Damn!!............would have love to have stolen him for Canada.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Some good company to equal at all, and even further to do it in 18ish less games

A couple of other names:

Jack Eichel: 52 points in 58 games (0.90)
Auston Matthews: 50 points in 44 (1.14)

Hughes is pretty good.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
5 points (4g, 1a) for Jack in USHL action tonight to set the NTDP single season point record for a U17 player. He broke Clayton Keller's previous U17 player record in 15 less games.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Still early obviously, but in terms of potential is he closer to a McDavid or Matthews?
I don't think he's generational, so I'd say closer to Matthews/Eichel/MacKinnon/Tavares/Stamkos territory. He gives me Patrick Kane vibes. Matthews and Eichel's edge is they basically fit the exact profile you want out of a potential franchise center with there size and complete skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->