C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
He's tied for 4th (likely soon to be third) in points on the U18 team despite playing only 19 games while the rest of the 18s have played 45 games.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
He is now up to 79 points in 43 GP after a 4 points weekend in the USHL. He has 9-25-34 in 18 USHL games as a 16 years-old. He was on the ice for all 4 of the NTDP goals yesterday.

He might get very close to Auston Matthews' single season point record (117 in 60GP).

Note: Turcotte, Caufield, York and Knight have been called up to the U18s so the Farabee - Hughes - Wahlstrom line seems to have been broken up with Hain replacing Farabee.
Counting how many USHL games he has left, he should get to 52 games assuming no injuries, and a max of 7 additional games to be played at the U18s. Jack wont have the games of the WJC that Auston did, but he did have the U17s, and he will still get within 1 game. 59 vs 60. So he has hypothetically 16 games to score 38 points, so to tie Matthews record he would need to average 2.37 points per game. Considering Hughes is averaging 1.89 in the USHL, while possible it would be tough.

But the fact that it is even a question is incredible given it was Auston's second year with the program and this is Jack's first.

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
Is Hughes gonna be drafted straight out of the NTDP or will he play a year of CHL/NCAA/whatever first?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is Hughes gonna be drafted straight out of the NTDP or will he play a year of CHL/NCAA/whatever first?
Hearing he’s staying at the program and committing to an NCAA program (it’s pretty obvious who the front runner is). He’ll be drafted first overall, the only other guy to be drafted first out of the program was Johnson (Matthews, Eichel and Kane are all late birthdays) and he followed through on his commitment. If he goes first, my guess if he goes NHL and doesn’t play an NCAA game.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Really? Thinking UMich - but is it that glaringly obvious?
Yes, if he does make an NCAA commitment eventually it would be a huge shock if it was anywhere other than Michigan.

I had not heard that he was definitely returning to the NTDP next season, @93LEAFS. I will be selfishly happy if you are correct, as that will make next season's U18 team downright scary and a lot of fun to watch.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Yes, if he does make an NCAA commitment eventually it would be a huge shock if it was anywhere other than Michigan.

I had not heard that he was definitely returning to the NTDP next season, @93LEAFS. I will be selfishly happy if you are correct, as that will make next season's U18 team downright scary and a lot of fun to watch.

Have heard the same thing - he really has nothing more to prove at current level and if he can get his grades/transcripts in order and graduate high school early and be able to enroll in college next year, it would be the smart move. Getting a year of NCAA action (he would obviously be a "one & done") before being drafted, could only help his progression getting ready to play in the NHL right away.

Michigan would be the obvious choice, as his brother is there. But if he heads back east where he has family roots - Providence College could be a good fit. His Dad played there, and that program is now a power and cranking out NHL ready players under Nate Leaman. BC & BU seem to have all their spots full for next year (and the year after that), his mom played on the women's team at UNH, but that program had really become a bottom level team that last few years, and they will have a new coach next year - his first NCAA head coaching job.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Have heard the same thing - he really has nothing more to prove at current level and if he can get his grades/transcripts in order and graduate high school early and be able to enroll in college next year, it would be the smart move. Getting a year of NCAA action (he would obviously be a "one & done") before being drafted, could only help his progression getting ready to play in the NHL right away.

Michigan would be the obvious choice, as his brother is there. But if he heads back east where he has family roots - Providence College could be a good fit. His Dad played there, and that program is now a power and cranking out NHL ready players under Nate Leaman. BC & BU seem to have all their spots full for next year (and the year after that), his mom played on the women's team at UNH, but that program had really become a bottom level team that last few years, and they will have a new coach next year - his first NCAA head coaching job.

Providence isn't a good fit because of the style they play ( a less high end skilled game, more of a grinder game ).

BU, BC or any other D1 school WILL make room for him

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Maybe he can pull it off, but considering all his education up until last year was in Canada I could see him having problems getting the core courses requirements.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Maybe he can pull it off, but considering all his education up until last year was in Canada I could see him having problems getting the core courses requirements.

I didn't mean he would be at Michigan next season -- just if he eventually committed to an NCAA team (even for the 2019-2020 season) it would be a shock to be anywhere other than Michigan. If for some strange reason he decides to play college in the 19-20 season, his younger brother Luke could very well be playing in Plymouth for the NTDP U17 squad, making things much easier on his parents -- similar to the current situation with him and Quinn.

If he's not ready academically for college in 2018-19, then he'll be back with the NTDP. Anyway, playing at Michigan next season certainly wouldn't boost his draft position (he'll be the preseason favorite to be taken #1 overall), so his only motivation would be to play with his brother for a season -- assuming Quinn is back in Ann Arbor next season, of course. He could make a commitment to Michigan for 2019-20 "just in case", but I think most of us expect him to be playing professionally in 2019-20.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I didn't mean he would be at Michigan next season -- just if he eventually committed to an NCAA team (even for the 2019-2020 season) it would be a shock to be anywhere other than Michigan. If for some strange reason he decides to play college in the 19-20 season, his younger brother Luke could very well be playing in Plymouth for the NTDP U17 squad, making things much easier on his parents -- similar to the current situation with him and Quinn.

If he's not ready academically for college in 2018-19, then he'll be back with the NTDP. Anyway, playing at Michigan next season certainly wouldn't boost his draft position (he'll be the preseason favorite to be taken #1 overall), so his only motivation would be to play with his brother for a season -- assuming Quinn is back in Ann Arbor next season, of course. He could make a commitment to Michigan for 2019-20 "just in case", but I think most of us expect him to be playing professionally in 2019-20.
Yeah, and to up competition for a year as while USNTDP plays D1 programs, D1 teams don’t always treat it as more than an exhibition.

I think the dad is fairly mobile. He’s a coach and works with an agency right now (previously worked for the Leafs). Whole family relocated this year.

Either way, he’s the clear front runner for first in 2019. It will be interesting if anyone can challenge him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Comparable to Matthews in terms of talent?
Very different players. Matthews and Eichel were basically the prototypical franchise centers teams desire. They had balanced games, with size and strength. Hughes is more dynamic in play style than Matthews, but is significantly smaller, which makes people wonder whether he's a winger. I'd say he's comparable to Patrick Kane, probably less of a shooter though. Matthews game was always very transferable because of his ability to drive center ice with his size and stick handling. That combined with his quick release makes him a deadly goal scorer.

Hughes in style is closer to McDavid, Barzal and Patrick Kane. I can see why some people may prefer Hughes, my guess though is at the top of the draft Matthews and Eichel would be preferred just due to how transferable their games were and almost all teams bad enough to win the lotto are chasing that prototypical franchise center.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Very different players. Matthews and Eichel were basically the prototypical franchise centers teams desire. They had balanced games, with size and strength. Hughes is more dynamic in play style than Matthews, but is significantly smaller, which makes people wonder whether he's a winger. I'd say he's comparable to Patrick Kane, probably less of a shooter though. Matthews game was always very transferable because of his ability to drive center ice with his size and stick handling. That combined with his quick release makes him a deadly goal scorer.

Hughes in style is closer to McDavid, Barzal and Patrick Kane. I can see why some people may prefer Hughes, my guess though is at the top of the draft Matthews and Eichel would be preferred just due to how transferable their games were and almost all teams bad enough to win the lotto are chasing that prototypical franchise center.
How would he compare to a similar sized skilled center in Claude Giroux?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How would he compare to a similar sized skilled center in Claude Giroux?
Giroux plays with a hell of a lot more grit and battle to his game. If he pulls it off, it will be closer to what Brayden Point plays like. He's way faster than Giroux, but Giroux is a guy who is always battling all over the ice.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Just found this in the NTDP Notebook for this week:

"A trio of Team USA players are at the top of the USHL rankings in points per game. In his rookie season in the USHL, Jack Hughes is averaging nearly two points per game (1.89) and sits atop the leaderboard with 34 points in 18 games. If you averaged his points to the games played by the league’s top points producer, Muskegon Lumberjacks forward Anthony Del Gaizo (52 in 44 games played), Hughes would have 83 points and would lead Del Gaizo by 31 points.
Oliver Wahlstrom (1.65) and Joel Farabee (1.41) ranks two and three."

Reactions: JiggsNY

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This guy seems like the type of player that will help your team win, never lacks in the effort department.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
Yeah, and to up competition for a year as while USNTDP plays D1 programs, D1 teams don’t always treat it as more than an exhibition.

I think the dad is fairly mobile. He’s a coach and works with an agency right now (previously worked for the Leafs). Whole family relocated this year.

Either way, he’s the clear front runner for first in 2019. It will be interesting if anyone can challenge him.

What type of schedule would he play next year if he weren't in college? I think it's safe to say we're at a point where if he isn't playing college next season he will still be the favorite to go first overall, but will it hurt him at all if he doesn't get his schooling done to play next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad