C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
When you say someone "projects" to be something, you sure aren't framing your bad opinion as an opinion, you're framing it like that is a consensus when it's not.

I absolutely am framing it as my opinion. If you can’t distinguish that, that’s unfortunate on your part. It was pretty clear.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Keep in mind people - in the months leading up to the 2017 draft, Nico Hischier was "projected" to be a winger at the NHL level.

He is one of the best young and defensively responsible centers in the game.

Hughes will play center. And he will be a similar center to Barzal. Elite offensively, average defensively. No Selke candidate, but an Art Ross candidate.

Reactions: Yasuo and mm11

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Yes? People are overreacting to one/two games way too much.

Hughes has been number 1 whole time. Kakko has just closed that gap with his own good play.

And I bet its pretty easy to put up performance like that if u have played whole year w/ the same guys and creating some sick chemistry and u r playing against the team that looks more like U-10 team than U-18.

I remember when Kuznetsov scored 9 pts against Latvia in WJC game and then "only" 4 pts in rest of the tournament. Sam Gagner scored 8 pts in an NHL game against Blackhawks and 39 pts in rest of the games he played on that ssn.

These games just sometimes happen when everything seems to work for ur favor and ur opponent has that "when nothing goes right, u better go left" - type of performances. And no matter how clumsy examples those are above, but they still remain just one game which is as narrow sample size as it can be. So starting a hype just from a single game is just pointless and doesnt tell anything about the increased lvl or status of a player comparing to others that are eligible for the same draft f.ex in this case.

And what comes to Kakko and his performance against Denmark and Norway (two game vs each) on one of them he was named the player of the game recording one assist and overally played well creating chances for his teammates. He looked a bit either tired or something in last two games and culdnt do a lot with the puck which is his biggest strenght obv, but still I wuldnt say he has looked bad at all. Just adapting to the system and new teammates.

Reactions: Kiekura

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
"Aggressiveness". :laugh:

I like Kakko and would have been thrilled with the #2 pick as well. Good luck finding me saying anything bad about him, but the consensus has been for a long time and continues to be that Hughes is the #1 player in this draft. I respect that you may disagree, but the burden is on people disagreeing with the consensus to demonstrate that the consensus is wrong.
Yea, well look at the other posts directed at me like a week ago telling me that I am the user ”ijuka” etc...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
One only needs to look at the sudden shift in narrative around Hughes from before April 9th to after April 9th to see the issue, and it's not as if the narrative has suddenly become overly positive.

If you take out draft positioning, and talk about the analysis of Hughes game throughout this season, I think that has driven the discussion surrounding the prospect.

Everyone knows he's going to put up a lot of points, and has a lot of offensive tools, mostly with the puck. He has improved his points average from last season to this season, and has done that with a low shooting percentage.

I think those who want to analyze Hughes game and have followed for the past few seasons will note that there has been a lack of improvement in some of the areas he struggled with coming into the season. Its hard for fans to not mention those parts of the game, given we already know he's going to be one of the best scorers in the NHL. I think that has driven any discussion about Hughes potentially not being the #1 pick. Others have improved a lot. Hughes came into the season with a very high base line. He's going to be a very good player. The question was if he would run away with #1 by showing big improvements in the areas he struggled like most of the elite players in the game are able to do, but he hasn't done that.

Thats not to say he isn't a very good prospect or won't improve, but how should his season be framed? His season has been a lot of points, and not a lot of improvement in areas he struggled in.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
You couldn’t name a guy that has done what he has done in the USNTDP. I don’t think he will be a center right away but in today’s NHL I believe he definitely will be eventually. He’s a very special player and I’m beyond excited to see him play in the NHL. Selfishly, I would love to see him destroy the NCAA first though.

Reactions: My3Sons

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
The description has been made because of people like you. The description is a joke, if you haven’t noticed.

Read my posts. I think Kakko and Hughes are neck and neck, just prefer Kakko.

Aaaand I’m out once again, just can’t stand you Devils fans with your aggressiveness
I mean... you can just admit you only prefer Kakko because he’s a finn... everyone already knows that

Red Solo Cup

Jul 17, 2018
as a devils fan who has been following both kakko and hughes for a while, there has been an influx of devils fans who i’ve never seen in the kakko or hughes threads after winning the lottery. i think it’s safe to say that if you haven’t been in either of those threads for a while, if you haven’t watched either player play a fair amount of games, you are basing your opinions off of nothing more than highlights, “rankings”, or other people’s biased opinions no matter who you’re a fan of. there are people in here that have made solid contributions to the actual conversation for a substantial period of time, and to see devils fans/rangers fans just come in here and act like they know more about these prospects than people who have been following them for legitimately years is quite baffling. obviously the majority of fans are fine and they just ask/check in on the prospect threads now which is reasonable, but to come in and act like you have something useful to say after watching a game or two (or none at all) is absurd. go watch the games for yourself, they are available.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Your point? They didn't finish 4th.. they won the lottery SO I'm in the Jack Hughes thread and all I keep reading about is how YOU know more about EVERYTHING than anyone else up to and including what position Hughes is slated to play in the NHL (info you got from your source...Pavel Buchnevich..lol) and I was just offering a suggestion since you can't seem to avoid arguments anywhere...

I see why though..

Thats a complete straw man. I didn't say I know more than anyone about Hughes than anyone other than the queue of people who haven't watched him play. I have no issue in disagreeing on this subject with people who have enough information to form an opinion. What I absolutely don't respect here is people who don't know what they are saying because they haven't compiled the info to form an opinion, and then criticize me because I am voicing an opinion that doesn't paint in certain terms the player they think their team will draft.

Reactions: I am a cup

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Honestly, be happy fellow Hughes fans. Pavel Buchnevich hot takes are child’s play compared to Ippenator who is on Kakko’s page.

I am happy they bumped the draft lottery up, it makes the U18 and Junior Championships more meaningful. Tomorrows game against Russia will be fun. It should be a good test for team USA. I will also be keeping an eye on Belarus and Canada.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I see at is as this, Kakko and Hughes are both special prospects. If you take either or you’re not going to come out as a failur, I don’t see why people are so high strung who should go first. Both are great prospects and should be happy with who ever they choose

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Keep in mind people - in the months leading up to the 2017 draft, Nico Hischier was "projected" to be a winger at the NHL level.

He is one of the best young and defensively responsible centers in the game.

Hughes will play center. And he will be a similar center to Barzal. Elite offensively, average defensively. No Selke candidate, but an Art Ross candidate.

to be fair to Barzal the kid after 2 NHL seasons and one playoff so far is a plus 1. Anyway, Hughes is a stud and the devs getting (2) 1st overalls in (3) years is just a boon for them and their fans.

Reactions: StevenToddIves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad