C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He missed both games last weekend, so this must be at least a semi-serious injury.
While I hate to see a player injured, it does interest me from analyzing the draft perspective as it pushes some other guys into a bigger role at a major showcase tournament. This is a big opportunity for someone like Turcotte to start locking up a spot in the top 5.

Reactions: Frk It

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No. I'm a Kings fan whose top prospect (Vilardi) has essentially missed a season due to back issues.

I'm not trying to diminish his value. I'm trying to voice an honest concern. Is seriously any post not singing his praises going to be treated as a joke or parody?

Why would there be concerns about his durability? Players get injured. He's missed less than 10 total games thus far this season.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I'm starting to have concerns about Hughes' durability. Missed a couple games of the WJC and now the Five Nations?
Outside of these 2 I can’t think of a single other significant injury. I think he missed no time at all last year maybe a game or two at most. And just these 2 this year. I think it’s just a little string of bad luck not a concern going forward.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Why would there be concerns about his durability? Players get injured. He's missed less than 10 total games thus far this season.

I'm just concerned that he's missing time in two tournaments. I get that injuries happen, but missing time in two tournaments a month a part is concerning to me. That's all.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I would guess it's because who he'll be playing against next season is far superior, bigger, and stronger than anyone he has played against so far.

One simply can't deny his talent and not be excited about it but one also can't turn a blind eye and think he's already above anything the NHL has to offer and he'll be able to skate by and elude anyone; being a good skater is not exclusive to Jack Hughes.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Quinn Hughes not participating at the Combine while Noah Dobson who just finish his crazy long season with a Memorial Cup attended it and participated in all testings.

And now Jack. I wonder why are they missing out of opportunities to showcase themselves further.

I really am questioning the Hughes durability.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Quinn Hughes not participating at the Combine while Noah Dobson who just finish his crazy long season with a Memorial Cup attended it and participated in all testings.

And now Jack. I wonder why are they missing out of opportunities to showcase themselves further.

Quinn obviously didn't show up because he was trying to lower his stock so he could get drafted by Chicago :sarcasm:

Reactions: LDF

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Don’t like it one bit.

Two different injuries in less than a month. Skipping the 5 Nations is a big deal to me because it’s the tougher of the two. He’s not even going with his team. Not disclosing the injuries should raise questions.

Kakko was trucked into the boards and still played. Even scored. He’s been excellent since the WJC.

This isn’t McDavid breaking his hand in a fight. This seems like Jack is being overprotected and his handlers are screwing with fate. I bet if scouts knew he’d play six games in what will amount to two months, Bob’s draft poll wouldn’t be unanimous.

IMO this isn’t his call, so I won’t punish him for it. But the pendulum seems like it is swinging in Kakko’s favor. I’m ranking him ahead of Podkolzin as well.. another kid who seems to play whenever.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

everyone knows he is going #1 ....... so why take a chance on a injury.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Don’t like it one bit.

Two different injuries in less than a month. Skipping the 5 Nations is a big deal to me because it’s the tougher of the two. He’s not even going with his team. Not disclosing the injuries should raise questions.

Kakko was trucked into the boards and still played. Even scored. He’s been excellent since the WJC.

This isn’t McDavid breaking his hand in a fight. This seems like Jack is being overprotected and his handlers are screwing with fate. I bet if scouts knew he’d play six games in what will amount to two months, Bob’s draft poll wouldn’t be unanimous.

IMO this isn’t his call, so I won’t punish him for it. But the pendulum seems like it is swinging in Kakko’s favor. I’m ranking him ahead of Podkolzin as well.. another kid who seems to play whenever.

Its certainly not Hughes’ call. Nobody decides against their doctors/trainers that they are playing. This isnt about protecting his draft position, its about protecting his future. In my opinion Kaako could light the world on fire, the scouts minds are made up.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Its certainly not Hughes’ call. Nobody decides against their doctors/trainers that they are playing. This isnt about protecting his draft position, its about protecting his future. In my opinion Kaako could light the world on fire, the scouts minds are made up.

If they’re protecting his future, then why were they saying it’s day to day? Day to day stuff that gets downgraded to doubtful or questionable isn’t career threatening, even at his age.

I don’t know. Kakko playing at an elite level while hurt impressed me immensely.

There’s no way scouts aren’t concerned with two different injuries in less than a month, unless they’re getting private reports that it’s only minor stuff. But If it’s minor, why is he missing a huge tournament?

Reactions: King'sPawn

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
If they’re protecting his future, then why were they saying it’s day to day? Day to day stuff that gets downgraded to doubtful or questionable isn’t career threatening, even at his age.

Who is "they"? The NTDP never announces anything related to injuries. All I have seen is a writer from NHL.com state he will miss the Five Nations. So who is "they" who are saying it's a day to day thing?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It was confirmed to me by NTDP sources. Mike didnt make it up.
Thank you.

I guess my definition of day to day is a little different, though. Since Hughes has missed the past two weeks, plus if he does miss the entire Five Nations then the next potential game for him would be in two weeks. I wouldn't consider a four week or more absence day to day.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Thank you.

I guess my definition of day to day is a little different, though. Since Hughes has missed the past two weeks, plus if he does miss the entire Five Nations then the next potential game for him would be in two weeks. I wouldn't consider a four week or more absence day to day.

That’s the only reason I’m a little peeved. There were gaps in the NTDP schedule after the WJC, so I think the plan was to call it “day to day” to lower concern knowing there were only three games in 21 days between Hughes’s last game vs Youngstown (where he looked absolutely fantastic) and the first game of next week’s tournament.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Don’t like it one bit.

Podkolzin plays for 3 different teams in Russia and about every national team that exists and for a week's camp beforehand, as far as I know he has not been injured this season.

I do not know how Hughes got injured this time but in the WJC as a direct result of getting rocked several times. The durability against 19 year old competition should be a concern especially for those that think he can step into the NHL next season. He will get older and stronger but his frame will always be small.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
All this talk of him potentially needing another year before playing in the NHL needs to stop. Team USA will be stacked enough at the WJC without him.

In all seriousness, I think it’s a bit of a moot point. Whether he should or not, he’ll play with the team that selects him next season. Whoever that is, they’ll want to harness the hype and generous comparisons. I can’t even recall off the top of my head the last first overall pick to not make the jump immediately. It would really shoot down fan excitement for Hughes to not make the opening day lineup and stick through the year; I can’t imagine any owner would allow it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad