C Ilya Nikolayev (2019, 88th, CGY)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is a telling comment on Ilya when he was asked this question. Who am I to argue. Good role model.

- What do you do in your spare time?
- I don’t have much of it. When I get the chance, I try to watch NHL – full games and highlights. I follow the Washington Capitals. Personally, I like the way Patrice Bergeron plays.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Extremely underrated prospect due to playing in Russia and how poor peoples understanding of MHL scoring is. Skill level and IQ are very high

I totally disagree, I think he's getting too much hype. He's in the top 20 of most scout lists I've spoken too. For public lists ISS has him at 19 and HockeyProspects has him at 21. For me Spiridonov is the better player and he's like rounds lower on a ton of lists.

Reactions: Arvy33

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stylistically I see Crosby

Don't you see a problem with comparing likely second round picks to top ten players of all time? I understand what you are trying to say, but I don't see how it helps discussion of Nikolayev to compare him to the best player in hockey the last 10 years.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You missed the point of what I said.

Nope, I don't see a problem with what he's saying either. I don't necessarily agree, but he added the qualifier, and it's one of those things that help the scouting process. Saying things like he toe drags like Laine, or his skating reminds me of Hertl, or he plays similarly to Crosby, help discussions(examples are not for this player).

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Moving on from the pointless squabbling, I do agree that Spiridonov is the better player of the two - the only thing I think in Nikolayev's favour being that he's a move explosive skater. Although I guess in fairness to Nikolayev his ice-time fluctuates due to the depth of his team.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
I totally disagree, I think he's getting too much hype. He's in the top 20 of most scout lists I've spoken too. For public lists ISS has him at 19 and HockeyProspects has him at 21. For me Spiridonov is the better player and he's like rounds lower on a ton of lists.
I think the public lists have it right, amongst people on here I think he's underrated as most people don't understand how good 25 points in 41 games is in his situation. I think him being above Spiridonov is pretty obvious too. Significantly higher skill level, and has offensive creativity to his game that Spriridonov lacks.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Some media, shame I can't find his goal from the HlinkaGretzky Cup, looks like most of the media from there has been taken down.

Is the Hlinka goal you are thinking of? I think he is better than some of the names that are rated above him. Or are being discussed. We will see, but I see him as a mid first rounder, though I am working on my list still, and it is far from a finished project. But what can I say, from what I see, I really like him as a top 6 fwd, top 2 center.

Ilya Nikolayev 1G vs USA | Aug 11 2018 | 2018 Hlinka Gretzky

Reactions: Caser

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Is the Hlinka goal you are thinking of? I think he is better than some of the names that are rated above him. Or are being discussed. We will see, but I see him as a mid first rounder, though I am working on my list still, and it is far from a finished project. But what can I say, from what I see, I really like him as a top 6 fwd, top 2 center.

Ilya Nikolayev 1G vs USA | Aug 11 2018 | 2018 Hlinka Gretzky

Yep, that's the one, thanks, somehow most of media from the Hlinkas have disappeared from twitter. I'll embed it here if you don't mind:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yep, that's the one, thanks, somehow most of media from the Hlinkas have disappeared from twitter. I'll embed it here if you don't mind:

Please do, that's what we are here for. Ilya could use more exposure. I think he is being terribly overlooked as a prospect. I love his comment on Bergeron being a role model, and his skill and determination are admirable traits. If he does slip into the 2nd rd, which on most lists I see him on. The team that drafts him will have a steal IMO. Really like this player.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Really impressed with this kid at the U18 so far, his skills are easily top 10 level in this draft and seems to have very good IQ and compete level, I think thats a kid that will get drafted way higher than he is projected to on most lists... I see him as an homerun type of pick...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

8 points in 6 playoff games.
Silver medal with 2 goals and 2 assists as an Alternate Captain for Team Russia.

Looks like a mid late to late first rounder to me.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, agree on the mid/late 1st. Can see him with the McMichael/Suzuki/Tomasino schmozzle somewhere in the 20's. I liked him in the couple of games I saw him in. Would be hard pressed to choose between he, Suzuki, and Tomasino.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad