C Hendrix Lapierre - (2020, 22nd, WSH)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How about Pierre Marc Bouchard as a comp?

Not the greatest if being honest. He hasn’t shown even close to the same offensive skills ghat Bouchard had (which are very underrated, if not for injuries he could of been elite).

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Mercer is a year older and that was a really short sample size for both him and Lapierre.

From my viewings Lapierre has the higher offensive potential, but definitely has more bust potential given his injury history.

As a Sens fan I'd rather take the boom-or-bust guy given our depth and go with the kid who looked like a potential top 5/10 pick at the Hlinka earlier in the year before his injury.

Mercer is older (3.5 months not a year) and their sample size in Chicoutimi was small. If you factor in the Drummondville stats, he produced at .52 more points per game this season. Obviously limited sample with the injuries for Lapierre. They produced similarly last year with Mercer being the better goal scorer. I think Mercer is the better skater and better defensive player. I know they're listed as the same size on EP but Mercer seems bigger too.

Outside of the 5 game Hlinka where Perfetti was putting literally everything in the net, he hasn't showed me enough to rank him above Mercer.

With respects to the Sens, I wouldn't want them to pick him any higher than with their 33rd. Up until the info about it being a neck and not concussion issue, I wouldn't have been ok with picking him until at least our 49th pick. Too many good players in that 21 range.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Mercer is older (3.5 months not a year) and their sample size in Chicoutimi was small. If you factor in the Drummondville stats, he produced at .52 more points per game this season. Obviously limited sample with the injuries for Lapierre. They produced similarly last year with Mercer being the better goal scorer. I think Mercer is the better skater and better defensive player. I know they're listed as the same size on EP but Mercer seems bigger too.

Outside of the 5 game Hlinka where Perfetti was putting literally everything in the net, he hasn't showed me enough to rank him above Mercer.

With respects to the Sens, I wouldn't want them to pick him any higher than with their 33rd. Up until the info about it being a neck and not concussion issue, I wouldn't have been ok with picking him until at least our 49th pick. Too many good players in that 21 range.
:thumbu:. I agree I would love to have more faith in Lapierre's health to rank him higher. I have him dropping just outside the 1st but I can easily see him going late 1st to a team with more than 1 1sts picking in that range.

Reactions: wetcoast

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Some food for thought: people should also consider the Chicoutimi factor when looking at Lapierre's numbers. The Georges-Vézina center is generally the Q arena with the fewest goals scored, and it's not too hard to guess why: it's the only CHL arena with an Olympic-sized ice. This may be why it's hard for forwards to shine in the Sags organization: in the past 12 seasons, only 3 players have hit the 80 pts-mark with the Sags. That's very few. I've brought up Mercer's 0.5 PPG drop earlier; the player he was traded for, draft-eligible William Dufour, had a... 0.5 PPG increase in Drummondville. Drummondville, coincidentally, has one of the few Q rinks smaller than NA standard (190 x 85).

I've also wondered if playing half your games on big ice and half on small ice might be slightly detrimental to prospect development. The only (likely) NHL player I can think of who came through Chicoutimi in the last decade is Nic Roy, who hopefully will stick with Vegas full-time next year.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Some food for thought: people should also consider the Chicoutimi factor when looking at Lapierre's numbers. The Georges-Vézina center is generally the Q arena with the fewest goals scored, and it's not too hard to guess why: it's the only CHL arena with an Olympic-sized ice. This may be why it's hard for forwards to shine in the Sags organization: in the past 12 seasons, only 3 players have hit the 80 pts-mark with the Sags. That's very few. I've brought up Mercer's 0.5 PPG drop earlier; the player he was traded for, draft-eligible William Dufour, had a... 0.5 PPG increase in Drummondville. Drummondville, coincidentally, has one of the few Q rinks smaller than NA standard (190 x 85).

I've also wondered if playing half your games on big ice and half on small ice might be slightly detrimental to prospect development. The only (likely) NHL player I can think of who came through Chicoutimi in the last decade is Nic Roy, who hopefully will stick with Vegas full-time next year.
Charles Hudon also played 125 games. He didn't make it full time because he's too slow.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's one guy who can really shoot up in the draft rankings with a healthy and productive fall. Would not be impossible that he gets into the top 10.

Reactions: Dominance

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Another goal for Lapierre. At the end of his shift, he just strolls in to in-between the circles and just snaps a shot that's deflected in the net.

Not as pretty as the 1st, but it's a good sign for Lapierre, since he really needs to show he can get to the middle more often, and shoot more. That said, he still needs to get stronger. He and Mercer complement each other real well though, with Lapierre very strong in open ice and Mercer excellent in traffic.

He's one guy who can really shoot up in the draft rankings with a healthy and productive fall. Would not be impossible that he gets into the top 10.

That may be bit hard. The regular season won't start in the Q until October, so he'll only get a few "real" games before the draft. While he may assuage fears about his health, he would need to show huge growth in his game to go that high, and I don't think he's quite there.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

The Sens chief scout Trent Mann has a son who is playing on Chicoutimi atm, so its likely that he will see a decent amount of him in the upcoming weeks. Given where they are drafting they won't take him in the 1st, but if his concussion problems cause teams to be weary I can see them as a great fit.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Hockey fans (and partially scouts and GMs) have a short memory, so if he keeps racking up points at this rate, he'll go pretty high! Actually, the biggest mystery of the draft IMO. Once the draft unfolds and that the guy a team wants to pick is gone, he'll be near the top.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He had a high profile coming into the year.. and then got injured. I have him on my DND list in the first round because of health concerns and the fact he never shot and couldn't beat junior goalies with it, when he did shoot.

However, if a team gets a clean bill of health from the doctors and he lights up pre-season and his first two games with a willingness to shoot and an improved shot. He can absolutely go in the top 15, the draft is short on legitimate centers and it has high positional value for teams.

Reactions: CLW and JAVO16

Emerica

May 29, 2010
The Sens chief scout Trent Mann has a son who is playing on Chicoutimi atm, so its likely that he will see a decent amount of him in the upcoming weeks. Given where they are drafting they won't take him in the 1st, but if his concussion problems cause teams to be weary I can see them as a great fit.
He's from Gatineau as well, just across the river from Ottawa. Would definitely be a logical destination. Top-10 not sure but if they try to move up with the Islanders pick I could see it.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Wonder if Jets take a long hard look at him at 10. They need a home run swing on a Centre prospect. As nice as it would be to have Lundell for consistency down the middle, Lapierre’s ceiling appears to be much higher.

Reactions: untouchable21
Aug 25, 2009
éal
A goal and 2 assists in another pre-season game today for Lapierre. Both assists were primary assists.

His chemistry with Dawson Mercer seems to be well established already.
No one could benefit of a late draft than Lapierre. If he prove he is healthy again without anyway setback he could get drafted top-15.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Wonder if Jets take a long hard look at him at 10. They need a home run swing on a Centre prospect. As nice as it would be to have Lundell for consistency down the middle, Lapierre’s ceiling appears to be much higher.

Yes, if the Jets do their homework on his injury concerns and are confident enough to take him at #10, I would be happy.

He was one of my targets for the Jets, but due to the injuries I just put him out of mind and have focused more on the likes of Lundell or Sanderson. If he’s back 100% healthy, he’s definitely back on my radar.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Had the chance to coach him last year.

Speed,IQ,passion,good kid...All what you want.

We worked a lot on his shooting. Hope he will get more shoot to the net this year

Reactions: CaptTennille

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->