C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I mean, when a player is able to contribute at top six level in NHL while still being on ELC, he saves cap space for his team, as otherwise it would have to sign someone more expensive for that role. On the other hand, if the ELC time is ticking in AHL, it doesn't give any cap relief and therefore, when the player is finally ready to play on NHL level, his ELC years are up (or almost up) and he has to be signed to a bigger deal.
Not quite. ELC years aren't burned in the AHL if the player is under 20. I'm sure the Stars would prefer Guryanov in the AHL right now, where even if he's struggling he'll get minutes to play through his issues. Or what Nashville has done with Kamenev. Personally, I loved the approach Leafs took with Nylander, we can't expect all Russian prospects to be ready at 21 like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko, a lot are going to need fine tuning at the AHL level, regardless of KHL experience.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Not quite. ELC years aren't burned in the AHL if the player is under 20. I'm sure the Stars would prefer Guryanov in the AHL right now, where even if he's struggling he'll get minutes to play through his issues. Or what Nashville has done with Kamenev. Personally, I loved the approach Leafs took with Nylander, we can't expect all Russian prospects to be ready at 21 like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko, a lot are going to need fine tuning at the AHL level, regardless of KHL experience.

I think those cases (Kamenev, Yakimov etc.) are more of an exception, because it required them to get out of exisitng KHL contract and that, again, requires a high level of communication by all sides.

About Rubtsov, he clearly stated that he is in no hurry to cross the pond, so probably that will scare off some teams. I also think his draft stock will depend a lot on if he will show up for the combine (I won't be surprised if he wouldn't, after all that stuff that happened).

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Rubtsov should stay home for a while anyway. It'll be good for him. NHL clubs can draft CHL scrubs if they like them better.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think those cases (Kamenev, Yakimov etc.) are more of an exception, because it required them to get out of exisitng KHL contract and that, again, requires a high level of communication by all sides.

About Rubtsov, he clearly stated that he is in no hurry to cross the pond, so probably that will scare off some teams. I also think his draft stock will depend a lot on if he will show up for the combine (I won't be surprised if he wouldn't, after all that stuff that happened).
That is what I was saying about it potentially hurting their stock, teams would prefer to have more control over a players development. The Stars have to be frustrated with the lack of opportunity Gurianov has had this year.

Rubtsov should stay home for a while anyway. It'll be good for him. NHL clubs can draft CHL scrubs if they like them better.
Yeah the league that produces this years MVP, and continually produces the best players in the world is a scrub league, some of the anti-CHL bias is hilarious.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
LOL, that's not what I said.
Sorry, a certain faction of Russian posters love to belittle the CHL as a developmental league. Rubstov is a ture wildcard, I can see him landing anywhere from 5 to 30, as all it takes is one team falling in love with a prospect. I'd be ecstatic if we got him at 18, and would hope to use the development path we have used for Nylander on him. Anyone know his contract situation?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sorry, a certain faction of Russian posters love to belittle the CHL as a developmental league. Rubstov is a ture wildcard, I can see him landing anywhere from 5 to 30, as all it takes is one team falling in love with a prospect. I'd be ecstatic if we got him at 18, and would hope to use the development path we have used for Nylander on him. Anyone know his contract situation?

There is a certain faction of NA posters who can't understand a most simple concept presented to them. The CHL/AHL is by empirical evidence a worse developmental system for russian prospects than the MHL/KHL. Now stop generalizing and putting anything into it that isn't there.

Othello*

I think it would be better for him to grow in Russia and come directly to the NHL when he's around 22. No AHL time for this guy.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Leafs are in a good position to take a chance with the Pittsburgh pick or their own second if he does end up dropping. Its going to be a bloodbath competing to get into the bottom-9 for the next few seasons, having to wait a couple years on Rubtsov might be a good thing. Detroit and Tampa are the other two I see taking a shot on him.

I'm sure teams are appreciating how much of an impact dropping in an NHL ready Kuznetsov level player could have on a playoff team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leafs are in a good position to take a chance with the Pittsburgh pick or their own second if he does end up dropping. Its going to be a bloodbath competing to get into the bottom-9 for the next few seasons, having to wait a couple years on Rubtsov might be a good thing. Detroit and Tampa are the other two I see taking a shot on him.

I'm sure teams are appreciating how much of an impact dropping in an NHL ready Kuznetsov level player could have on a playoff team.

I think he's a lot more Datsyuk than Kuznetsov.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Leafs seem to of made a conscious effort to go into Russia (Zaitsev, attempt at Pannarin, Sosh), we put a lot of money into Euro scouting. Not really a surprise because the two of the teams that have been heavy on Russians are Dallas and Tampa, both of who are heavily connected to Detroit. Leafs kept Ladygin, and added Vuori as Euro scouting director who we brought from Detroit. I would think Ladygin was the primary on Dzierkals and indicates intention to scout and draft out of the MHL. I think Rubstov is the pick if he is there at the Pitt pick, but everyone knows at the very least Tampa, Washington and Dallas have scouted him heavy. Wish I go to see him more, MHL isn't the easiest to watch and was hoping for a glance at U-18.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Then why isn't the NCAA-factor as big a deal as the russian-factor?
Because players can leave the NCAA at any point, getting out of a contract with another professional team is much different. Connor had a great year, and is now professional, in some Russian cases you can't get the guy over til he's 21 (Buchenevich, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov). Very few guys choose to stay in college if offered an ELC, particularly undergraduates. Larkin, Eichel, Connor, Hanifin, and Werenski all turned pro fairly quickly. Signing an LOIT is not binding, some of the Russians player contracts are.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Again what a player he is! I just can't remember when was the last time Russia produced such an amazing two-way talent. He's real pain in the ass for opposing teams. Plus his slick hands and very good skating. I believe he's 2nd best center eligible, right after Matthews, on par with Keller.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll be very curious to see where he lands. If he is still around at 15 the Wild have to take a long look at him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Again what a player he is! I just can't remember when was the last time Russia produced such an amazing two-way talent. He's real pain in the ass for opposing teams. Plus his slick hands and very good skating. I believe he's 2nd best center eligible, right after Matthews, on par with Keller.

I think Dubois is also better than him, but I agree, there's not much separating all the centers after Matthews. I have Dubois, Rubtsov and Keller all within five spots of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->