C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yes, as a Flyer fan I'm really disappointed that Provorov (the best young Russian defenceman we've seen in eons) came over to the CHL and had his career destroyed.

And if you're saying Rubtsov has failed completely...how about seeing what he can do when healthy (which I doubt has any bearing on WHERE he plays) and whether that translates to an NHL career or not (yes there are other leagues in the world...the NHL is the best though) I doubt as a teenager he's done developing. Even someone as biased and agenda driven as you have to admit that...or not.
As a Flyers fan you should be aware where Provorov came to the CHL from, don't you?

You are agenda driven if you deny facts like that.

My only agenda is the wish for the russian NT to get better players. Like it or not. NHL is to me a farm league to the team a care the most about. And when I see the NHL and it's minors system having a negative effect at developing young russian talent I look for other options and obviously for Russians developing at home is a better option. Especially for forwards.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
As a Flyers fan you should be aware where Provorov came to the CHL from, don't you?

You are agenda driven if you deny facts like that.

My only agenda is the wish for the russian NT to get better players. Like it or not. NHL is to me a farm league to the team a care the most about. And when I see the NHL and it's minors system having a negative effect at developing young russian talent I look for other options and obviously for Russians developing at home is a better option. Especially for forwards.

Of course I know where he came from...and all I ever said about careers being ruined in Russia was that not all players, anywhere, are going to develop into NHLers.

If your only care is for your national team to get better players...fine.

But stop blaming our junior program for selective players who don't make it..it's ridiculous. There are plenty who don't make it who stay there. There are North Americans who play here and don't make it. In every sport.

And if a Russian kid has a dream to play in the NHL, there's nothing wrong with him coming over to learn the language and get used to the culture, as long as he's mature enough. The same applies for kids here moving away from home to play...some of them just aren't ready for it without the culture shock and language barrier (though there are instances with French/English)

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Seen him play a few weeks back, was pretty underwhelming overall. He looked slow. Showcased some nifty mitts a few times, but other than that he was very quiet.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
1 point in 4 games and -2. and he is almost 20. he is not healthy it seems.

Crystal ball isn't working with him.. so far anyways.. The Titans should get to the second round tho. His 2 way play has been excellent from what i've heard, the whole season.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I have a feeling he will have a lot of success in the playoffs.. His game is taylor made for that type of hockey, as long as he stays healthy.

1 point in 4 games and -2. and he is almost 20. he is not healthy it seems.

Well, he had 1 points in 6 games, struggling against his former team. Since that 1st round, he scored 8 points in 7 games with a +7 ratio. You'd think he cameback from an injury or something.. :sarcasm:

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
So he's won the QMJHL, but 5+5 in 18 games for almost 20 yo player doesn't look very promising.
Only player with more than 1 ppg is 20 yrs old. Next at 1 ppg is also 20. Defensive-minded team, what do you expect exactly? You dont like winning?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Only player with more than 1 ppg is 20 yrs old. Next at 1 ppg is also 20. Defensive-minded team, what do you expect exactly? You dont like winning?

They’re not a defensive minded team, they play good defence but don’t mistake them for a defense first squad. The team averaged 3.65 goals per game in the playoffs and 3.97 in the regular season. He had 53 points in 68 games for the Titan this year regular season and playoffs included.

He was honestly invisible in the playoffs, he played on a line with their #1 C and didn’t produce like expected. I must admit he looked a lot better at the WJC then he did at any point during the season in Bathurst. I don’t know why he didn’t produce more but it wasn’t ever in the cards for him it seemed. When he was drafted I expected a two-way Top 6 C likely as his upside, the offence could still come together and become a top 6 forward but he definitely isn’t a C in the NHL. He’s horrible on the draws, played primarily the wing all season because of it and doesn’t have the upside I thought he did. I’d say he’s a 3rd/4th line winger at this point, if he can even produce enough to play in the NHL. This year was a major disappointment for him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

He had a really disappointing year, there’s really no defense of it at this point. A former first round pick shouldn’t be below a PPG average as a 19-20 year old in juniors.

I don’t know if he checked out down there or what but he was basically invisible in the few games I watched this year which seems to align with everything else.

I wouldn’t completely write him off at this point as he does do things well off the puck but his stock has definitely taken a good hit. Next year in the AHL with the Phantoms is going to be huge for him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I wouldn’t completely write him off at this point as he does do things well off the puck but his stock has definitely taken a good hit. Next year in the AHL with the Phantoms is going to be huge for him.
The Flyers' management just needs to give Rubtsov #51, tell Haktard that he's Filppula, and he'll be an NHL regular!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He has been playing great at C at both ends in the AHL after a really good training camp as well.

Hope he keeps it up, but even as a Rubtsov fan I am surprised how well he is doing after last season... which was hopefully just an aberration.

Needs to work on his face-offs though! He is at 36% right now.

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
He has been playing great at C at both ends in the AHL after a really good training camp as well.

Hope he keeps it up, but even as a Rubtsov fan I am surprised how well he is doing after last season... which was hopefully just an aberration.

He is in the right organization to get some help in that area.

2018/19 FO% :

full

PS: Shout-out to your prospect coverage on Twitter and for those who ain't already following him, go do it now; Alexander Appleyard (@avappleyard) | Twitter

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

I always thought his game was much better suited for pro play than juniors.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I always thought his game was much better suited for pro play than juniors.

I would also say given how his game is built that is a fair comment. Takes care of own zone first, good forechecker, active stick in NZ, generally makes simple plays instead of trying highlight reel stuff.

But still hard to reconcile it with his season last year in the Q... especially with how well he played in his first Q season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->