C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Without blaming the CHL for this ( because he hasn't been here long enough ), but is it just me or is Rubstov not as gifted as some thought? I'm sorry but I expected more than a ppg for a first round pick playing in the Q.

Reactions: daa5250

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Without blaming the CHL for this ( because he hasn't been here long enough ), but is it just me or is Rubstov not as gifted as some thought? I'm sorry but I expected more than a ppg for a first round pick playing in the Q.

It's you;). I like his all around game at this point in time of his development.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
It's you;). I like his all around game at this point in time of his development.

A lot of people don't really know about his play.

Coming out of his draft year he was and is arguably the best 2-way forward coming out of that draft. He is comparable to Sean Couturier. His defensive game shines above his offensive game. He may not be flashy, but his vision and IQ make him a great playmaker.

His game is an all around game. He can show flashes of being a power forward with power moves crashing the net and with his down low play/board battling. He has great vision and play making ability. His offensive game is good, but it won't be great in the NHL. Another thing is that he plays with tenacity. He's like a pest. Another flyer forward he's comparable in his grittiness is Travis Konecny. When the game gets heavy he starts to play that way. He has some size at 6'1 and is close to 195-200lbs (I don't know his exact weight). The one thing about that is that he is strong for his size. If he gets a mismatch with a weaker player, you can bet that he will win that battle.

If he lives up to his hype and progresses fully, he will be a great 2nd line Center for the flyers. He could be a Sean couturier lite, but with better playmaking.

Reactions: Hockeypete49

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
A lot of people don't really know about his play.

Coming out of his draft year he was and is arguably the best 2-way forward coming out of that draft. He is comparable to Sean Couturier. His defensive game shines above his offensive game. He may not be flashy, but his vision and IQ make him a great playmaker.

His game is an all around game. He can show flashes of being a power forward with power moves crashing the net and with his down low play/board battling. He has great vision and play making ability. His offensive game is good, but it won't be great in the NHL. Another thing is that he plays with tenacity. He's like a pest. Another flyer forward he's comparable in his grittiness is Travis Konecny. When the game gets heavy he starts to play that way. He has some size at 6'1 and is close to 195-200lbs (I don't know his exact weight). The one thing about that is that he is strong for his size. If he gets a mismatch with a weaker player, you can bet that he will win that battle.

If he lives up to his hype and progresses fully, he will be a great 2nd line Center for the flyers. He could be a Sean couturier lite, but with better playmaking.
You mean 96 points in 58 QMJHL games pre draft Couturier? It's not looking good for him as a prospect. There aren't many comparables stat wise that ended up good.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
You mean 96 points in 58 QMJHL games pre draft Couturier? It's not looking good for him as a prospect. There aren't many comparables stat wise that ended up good.

His game is similar to Couturier. I said his offense isn't as good as his defense. I also said that his offense most likely wouldn't translate well to the NHL. I wouldnt use stats from JR to compare anyway due to the competition levels differing by so much.

They're both defensive minded centers. Watch videos of both of them in JR. You'll see a lot of similarities... especially in defensive coverage and attacking the puck carrier. They both play some of their best defensive games in the neutral zone. Couts is a better backchecker.

I also said he could be a Couturier Lite which I think is what will happen with him. His stats so far aren't great, but he's playing a sound game.

If there is someone on the flyers who he is like the most, it would most likely be Sean Couturier.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
At this point he's tracking way more towards being Laughton than Couturier. Underwhelming offensive production in his draft year and draft plus one year, and even this year he isn't playing near a level that Laughton was in his draft + 2 year (87 points in 54 games vs. 25 points in 25 games). He's still 19 so I'm not writing him off yet, but I have yet to see anything that tells me he's going to be a real top six forward in the NHL. Guys with his level of production in his career since being drafted do not have a long track record of being impact offensive players in the NHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
At this point he's tracking way more towards being Laughton than Couturier. Underwhelming offensive production in his draft year and draft plus one year, and even this year he isn't playing near a level that Laughton was in his draft + 2 year (87 points in 54 games vs. 25 points in 25 games). He's still 19 so I'm not writing him off yet, but I have yet to see anything that tells me he's going to be a real top six forward in the NHL. Guys with his level of production in his career since being drafted do not have a long track record of being impact offensive players in the NHL.

Rubtsov has played a total of 41 CHL games.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
Rubtsov has played a total of 41 CHL games.
That's not a small amount. Rubstov has been very disappointing this year in a +2 draft year in the Q. Flyers fans overhype him a ton when in reality he is not developing well. Id settle with a solid 3rd line player at this point.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do like elements of his game (defensive play, size/physical ability, puck protection), but agree with those who don't see high end skill. I think he has a solid shot to be an NHLer, but I'd be surprised if he becomes a top 6 forward, seems more likely to be either a bottom 6 guy, or back to the KHL.

Also, before the "CHL ruins Russians" crew shows up, Rubtsov played in Russia pre-draft, and started his post-draft season in Russia, split between the MHL and KHL (he was doing OK but not outstanding in the MHL, and did nothing in the KHL). He's played well under a full CHL season, I don't think the issue is his development in that time, he just doesn't look like a super high skill player.

When he was drafted, I thought he was an intriguing prospect, nice tools and 2-way game, but was basing that on extremely limited viewings. As I've seen more of him in North America, I'm seeing a solid player, but one that probably lacks the talent to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's not a small amount. Rubstov has been very disappointing this year in a +2 draft year in the Q. Flyers fans overhype him a ton when in reality he is not developing well. Id settle with a solid 3rd line player at this point.
Couturier was a solid 3rd line C to a lot of people on here...

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
So how are you liking his tournament so far? 0+0 and 0 shots on goal. By far the weakest forward on the team.

Summary:

* Zero successful euros for Philly since year 2002 (Pitkanen)

* Rubstov should be blowing up in this tournament, but won't be.

* Rubstov should be blowing up in Russian Juniors, but he barely is.

* Please watch his WJC games and decide for yourself whether this kid is going to make it or not.

Just pumping my post from 2016-17 WJC. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean... I think everyone has seen what he 'can' do...

with WJC so far, WJAC-19, Hlinka, WHC-17, MHL and the end of last season in the QMJHL (where he produced at a fantastic rate for his age, albeit in a small sample.)

He just has do it consistently. The start of this season in the Q has been below what was expected given how he tore it up last year.

Just which is the real Rubtsov?

I mean, given his skill-set and complete game his ceiling is probably still ~what it was when drafted. Which for me was a ~55-60pt NHL forward with a good two-way game.

Will he reach that? Who knows... but he has to play with purpose all the time and not lapse into passivity and conservatism to get to what he can be.

If he cannot flick that switch and become consistent (in the OZ mainly, his defense and NZ play is always good) then, well, he is probably going to be a 3rd liner and PKer.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
God he's frustrating to watch.

Rubtsov has some really nice offensive tools. However, he needs to start taking more ownership and initiative to develop these skills. This doesn't mean he lacks effort. He battles hard, really hard. But he needs to stop playing so 'safe' and start pushing his boundaries more. He's his own worst enemy in many ways.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Rubtsov has some really nice offensive tools. However, he needs to start taking more ownership and initiative to develop these skills. This doesn't mean he lacks effort. He battles hard, really hard. But he needs to stop playing so 'safe' and start pushing his boundaries more. He's his own worst enemy in many ways.

That is a really fair assessment.

When he 'turns it on' he looks like a very high end offensive player... but often he seems to turn down opportunities to 'attack' in the OZ and instead make the safest play possible.

It is worth noting that was not the case for his (brief) time in the QMJHL last season. He was very aggresive. He was playing wing though.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012

One minute you think he's going to be a bust and then the next you think he could be a great 2 way pro player. I don't know if its because of the multiple coaches he's had and all the changes he's dealt with but he's definitely a huge question mark as a fan. He may be someone that could become an impact player but it may take some patience from the Flyers. If you give up too soon on him he may come back to haunt you. He's played pretty well in this tournament in both ends of the ice so that's been a big step in the right direction. When you watch him he just looks like a prototypical Russian center from back in the 70's and 80's. I'm not counting on him to be an elite top 9 center but if he does the Flyers could be great down the middle with Rubstov, Couts and Patrick.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I’ve seen him play quite a lot in the QMJHL since he’s come over and I’ve never once seen him as a player I thought could play C in the NHL. He’s absolutely awful on the draws and when I watch him game he projects more as a winger to me.

Now having watched him at the WJC a lot this year, he looks to be good on the draws? I haven’t checked the stats but he passes the eye test and he looks like he takes his game to another level that he doesn’t show in the Q. There’s some real inconsistency in his game and maybe he’s just playing really well the past 3 games but he looks like a totally different player then every time I’ve seen him play in the QMJHL.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Yeah. This is quite accurate. He has annoyed me too, and I’m a fan. People who think he’s not skilled enough are wrong. He’s got very soft hands, can stickhandle deftly, has good vision, a sneaky shot, can be a force down low or in net drives. He’s got some dynamic tools, though his skating is a little unsmooth. You can see it plain as day upon close study. But corny as this sounds, it’s not about the skill with him, it’s about the will to be The Guy and make those plays.

He’s just weird; not many skilled teens are too reluctant to use their skill for the sake of defense. It’s the opposite usually. And most times players who are skilled but struggle to impact games like you’d hope (and he still does at times) have a hockey IQ issue. But he doesn’t have that. He’s very smart. It’s not effort, as you said, which is often another cause. He just tries too hard to be safe and defensive. Then he will hit a switch and be an offensive force. He is very much his own worst enemy. Good thing he is in a Flyers organization that loves overly safe players and often chastises skill, so we will see if it can be coached out and drilled into him to attack.

I don’t think he will stick at center, and a wing conversion will likely help him a lot. Less responsibilities and more offensive freedom are what he needs. He struggles to find his equilibrium as a classic 2-way center.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
What they share in common is being Russian. It is silly to paint players with the same brush because of their country. Rubtsov is much harder time play against than those other players.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah. This is quite accurate. He has annoyed me too, and I’m a fan. People who think he’s not skilled enough are wrong. He’s got very soft hands, can stickhandle deftly, has good vision, a sneaky shot, can be a force down low or in net drives. He’s got some dynamic tools, though his skating is a little unsmooth. You can see it plain as day upon close study. But corny as this sounds, it’s not about the skill with him, it’s about the will to be The Guy and make those plays.

He’s just weird; not many skilled teens are too reluctant to use their skill for the sake of defense. It’s the opposite usually. And most times players who are skilled but struggle to impact games like you’d hope (and he still does at times) have a hockey IQ issue. But he doesn’t have that. He’s very smart. It’s not effort, as you said, which is often another cause. He just tries too hard to be safe and defensive. Then he will hit a switch and be an offensive force. He is very much his own worst enemy. Good thing he is in a Flyers organization that loves overly safe players and often chastises skill, so we will see if it can be coached out and drilled into him to attack.

I don’t think he will stick at center, and a wing conversion will likely help him a lot. Less responsibilities and more offensive freedom are what he needs. He struggles to find his equilibrium as a classic 2-way center.

Yeh, I think it makes sense to have him at LW as a pro. He would be a fantastic two-way winger... and quite frankly when he was at wing last year in the Q he was far more aggressive offensively and the results showed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
One minute you think he's going to be a bust and then the next you think he could be a great 2 way pro player. I don't know if its because of the multiple coaches he's had and all the changes he's dealt with but he's definitely a huge question mark as a fan. He may be someone that could become an impact player but it may take some patience from the Flyers. If you give up too soon on him he may come back to haunt you. He's played pretty well in this tournament in both ends of the ice so that's been a big step in the right direction. When you watch him he just looks like a prototypical Russian center from back in the 70's and 80's. I'm not counting on him to be an elite top 9 center but if he does the Flyers could be great down the middle with Rubstov, Couts and Patrick.
Morgan Frost might push Rubstov to the wing anyways.

Giroux Couturier Voracek
Lindblom Patrick Konecny
Rubstov Frost Allison
Leier Laughton Aube-Kubel
Laczynski Vorobyev Ratcliffe
Strome Bunnaman Kase
Sushko Marody Lycksell
Vecchione

Plus 2 1st rounders this coming year....going to be lots of competition for spots.

Reactions: Foggy14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad