C Evan Barratt - Penn State Univ., NCAA (2017, 90th, CHI, traded to PHI)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I didn't see a page for him so I started one. He is local to me (from Morrisville, PA) and played for nearby Mercer Chiefs and the Hun School before joining Team Comcast and then the National Team Development Program.

From what I've read in most publications this isn't believed to be a strong USA U18 team this year - and Barratt was scoreless in the All-American Prospects Game. But he has scored at a point-per-game pace early in the year for the USA NTDP team and I was wondering if there was more to know about him from anyone who has seen him play thus far this year.

He is committed to Penn State and the Flint Firebirds hold his OHL rights.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I read a McKeen's scouting report on him and liked what they had to say. Seems like the type of player that ends up in the NHL. Not sure why no one has him going in the 1st round. I think he probably should...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I read a McKeen's scouting report on him and liked what they had to say. Seems like the type of player that ends up in the NHL. Not sure why no one has him going in the 1st round. I think he probably should...

He was the most impressive player from my viewings, don't really understand how he wouldn't be an early 2nd/1st round prospect. Honestly i wouldn't hesitate to use a 1st on him, he gave me Larkin vibes (in terms of dominance). Always made something happen when he was on the ice.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
From the little I've seen of him I've been very impressed. I, too, am surprised he isn't garnering more talk. Looks like a much more creative player than guys like Reedy and Norris who are being ranked much higher. Just seems to make stuff happen almost every shift, makes lots of nifty little plays to set up his teammates. I think he's probably a bit of a project but lots of upside with this kid. Developing 3-4 years in college will do him good. Definitely looks to have the offensive instincts and hockey IQ to be a producing top6 forward in the NHL in the future.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He was very good at the five nations in February, played on a line with Mismash and Reedy unless my memory is tricking me... I though Reedy was the one who drove that line but they were the best line in the tournament imo and Barratt was also impressive.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I have seen most of the NTDP's home games (have season tickets). Honestly, Barratt has not stood out to me that much on what has been a comparatively weak U18 squad. He has measurables that NHL teams look for, but it would be a real reach if someone took him in the 1st round.

I do not see any first round talent on this team, unless late birthdays Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes develop more before the 2018 draft. Hughes can really skate, but his size will hurt him come draft time.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
For the past two seasons I have been waiting to see if Barratt would get national recognition. Here is what I wrote on another thread in September 2016.

I think I am the only person on this site that has pumped up Barratt, but I guess it is because I am from the Mid-Atlantic region... similar to Gaudreau. Anyway, EB is a high IQ player with excellent hands and vision, which I think are the most important attributes of prospects nowadays since every player can skate and shoot at high levels. He doesn´t get as much attention because he doesn´t have any overwhelming talents compared to others, but he is the-right-place-at-the-right-time type of player. He can also pull a high skill deke out of nowhere or hit a guy wide open when you never expected a play to develop. He is good at deception with the puck on his stick. I also think he is behind the others physically and still needs to get his coordination in sync.

I am shocked by how strong he has gotten. IMO he has the highest IQ on the NTDP Under 18 team. During the NTDP tryouts a few years ago I predicted he would surprise people and had a chance to be the best player on the team. It still seems like he flies under the radar. He doesn't have the alarming talent of Eichel/Matthews/Keller but his IQ is on par.

On another thread, someone compared him to Larkin. He definitely does not play like Larkin -- nowhere near as fast or reliant on his speed. He reminds me more of Paul Stastny or a smaller, less imposing Kopitar.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
For the past two seasons I have been waiting to see if Barratt would get national recognition. Here is what I wrote on another thread in September 2016.

I am shocked by how strong he has gotten. IMO he has the highest IQ on the NTDP Under 18 team. During the NTDP tryouts a few years ago I predicted he would surprise people and had a chance to be the best player on the team. It still seems like he flies under the radar. He doesn't have the alarming talent of Eichel/Matthews/Keller but his IQ is on par.

On another thread, someone compared him to Larkin. He definitely does not play like Larkin -- nowhere near as fast or reliant on his speed. He reminds me more of Paul Stastny or a smaller, less imposing Kopitar.

Evan Barratt has the higuest IQ of all NTDP U18 player, especially the 2017 draft eligible players. I'd agree he is somewhat underrated, and I don't really understand why he's not considered with the Mismash and Norris of the team as far as draft ranking goes.

I'd say hockey sense is the most important trait and this guy has it. I'd like to see him improve his acceleration a little bit, but he's got most of the necessary tools to make a living in the NHL. He's very physical too when he wants to be. He's a complete player.

I'd have late 1st early 2nd but I know I'm close to alone on that boat.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Evan Barratt has the higuest IQ of all NTDP U18 player, especially the 2017 draft eligible players. I'd agree he is somewhat underrated, and I don't really understand why he's not considered with the Mismash and Norris of the team as far as draft ranking goes.

I'd say hockey sense is the most important trait and this guy has it. I'd like to see him improve his acceleration a little bit, but he's got most of the necessary tools to make a living in the NHL. He's very physical too when he wants to be. He's a complete player.

I'd have late 1st early 2nd but I know I'm close to alone on that boat.

Interesting to read. I hadn't logged into this forum for months so I'm glad to see people are starting to recognize Barratt. At the start of the season the only mentions of him were from NTDP tryouts.

I thought Button was going to notice but it didn't happen.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Honestly, I was the one talking about this kid well before anyone else that I can recall in a number of threads....and I am the one that said he he could be the next Dylan Larkin..I said that for a number of reasons some of which are similar traits to the way that they both were very competent and smart players at the USNDP, but also they both came out of left field as kids that weren't really talked about but had the pleasure of watching prior to the United States development team as both could have that impact in the first round..which Larkin did and I still think Evan Barratt will be. Trust me there are a few of us that have been talking about this kid we might've been doing it in separate threads, but it seems the three of us are the ones that have been speaking very highly of him because we all notice the same things: very high IQ, skill, responsibility (200 foot game) those are the traits that get a player drafted fairly highly..

Why he isn't being talked about more is beyond me but honestly I would be absolutely shocked if he is not taken inside the top 25 reminds me a lot of Colin White pound for pound.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
A lot of high praise, could someone explain why is isn't talked about more or ranked higher?

Was out overshadowed by someone else on the squad? The stats nor the hype seem to suggest there was any standout name like previous years,

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
One of my favorite draft eligible players, I have him in the early second round personally I definitely think he will be in the NHL. Maybe doesn't have a high upside but I think he will be a solid player. Some rankings I've seen don't even have him in the top 90

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Barratt was one of my favorite players in the 2017 draft, along with Noah Cates. It seems there's always these US-born kids who are still under appreciated each draft year. I hope he does well.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad