F William Shields - Cape Breton Eagles, QMJHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Shields is a smooth skater and can make defensemen miss with some really clever dekes before ripping a shot past the goalie or perfectly setting up a teammate for a tap-in. His ability to process the game at a high speed is what separates his game from a lot of other kids in his age group and it seems like he really is just watching things develop in his head before anyone else on the ice has figured out what’s going on. His shot is very powerful despite his slight frame and he is capable of placing it as he pleases. His one on one ability is very good as he can beat the defenseman with either speed or skill and then in tight on the goalie it is instead a question of whether he will shoot or make a move. He needs to iron out some consistency to his game but when he is cooking he looks like the clear cut best player on the ice.

USHL Rights: Lincoln Stars
USHL Futures Draft: Lincoln Stars (R10, 2022, #146 Overall)

QMJHL Rights: Cape Breton Eagles
QMJHL Draft: Cape Breton Eagles (R1, 2022, #11 Overall)

Bishop Kearney Selects -> Cape Breton Eagles

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Anyone have any idea what this kid plans to do? He could plan on going the US route but if he were to play in the QMJHL next season he’d definitely be a top 5 pick.
Anyone have insight?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Usually i hear about this stuff by now, but i have not heard about Shields yet...something is telling me he is planning on NCAA route...but i never put it pasts Halifax, Moncton, Saint John, Quebec, Rimouski to make some good bids for him which could persuade him. I have a guy feeling though he is leaning to NCAA

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I expect him to play U16 though next year and not the Q. He's not quite ready for the Q unless the drafting team is very weak who can afford to give him ice time to develop without consequences. Based on seeing 15o a lot recently I put him in the first round - but I don't have him near the top of the draft at this time. He is currently a top 3 player on his team. The question is is how he can perform against strong teams. He is able to take advantage against teams with a weak spot very well - he's the best on his team in this situation. When the teams are strong he's not the best player on his team. He's good and he's a threat in all cases though. I'd love to see him play another year of U16 and then make the jump to the Q to see if he can put it all together.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad