C Dylan Peterson - USNTDP, USHL (2020, 86th, STL)

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Couldn't find a thread for him, figured I'd make one. Top prospect playing for the U17 NTDP team next year.

DOB: 1/8/2002
Height: 6'3
Weight: 183lbs
Birthplace: Roseville, CA
Current Team: USNTDP U17
2020 Eligible

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
top three 02' forward in the nation right now.

hopefully, he continues to evolve as bigger kids like this, early on, seem to fizzle out more times than not.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
top three 02' forward in the nation right now.

hopefully, he continues to evolve as bigger kids like this, early on, seem to fizzle out more times than not.

We'll see how he does with the NTDP U17s. First season in that program can be challenging going up against older USHL players. Good interview with him on CTV News about prepping for next season. Wearing a nice lid, too. https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1465341&binId=1.1164511&playlistPageNum=1

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Only got to see him a couple times this year, but tool wise, he's in a very small circle of the most impressive 02 born players. Too much of his offense is waiting around to get the puck and then trying to carry it end to end, though, and I worry how he'll fit as he plays with bigger and stronger players, when his advantages are a bit more muted.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I didn't get to see Smilanic this year, but from past viewings, I like him going forward a little more than Peterson, in terms of Americans.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Any scouting reports on this kid? Obviously tall.. can someone describe his game, skating, speed...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any scouting reports on this kid? Obviously tall.. can someone describe his game, skating, speed...

Great skater and puck handling. He can pull off some incredible rushes, but doesn’t put up points consistently because there’s not much else to his game offensively.

He has another season to improve and show more of an offensive skill set beyond that, but right now he’s a project pick with athletic tools that teams will draft high, but little in the way of technical or tactical skills for the sport that yield NHL’ers.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Still has a ways to go to even become a Beecher level prospect. Unless his offence takes another step, I doubt he has the capabilities to make the NHL in a top 6 role. His game isn't really complete like Beecher's so there's no safe floor for him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Still has a ways to go to even become a Beecher level prospect. Unless his offence takes another step, I doubt he has the capabilities to make the NHL in a top 6 role. His game isn't really complete like Beecher's so there's no safe floor for him.
I feel like Dylan is more agile that Beecher. Beecher is more of a power forward, a lot of straight line movement. Dylan seems, in the distant distant future, to have greater potential to become a normal NHL forward.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Beecher is a very nice prospect and I don't know that he is that complete either for what it's worth. It's still summer boys we'll get to see what this kid is made of before long.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The 2019 US National Team Development Program U-18 team was historically good and set a record for first-round draft picks. While the 2020 US NTDP does not have the same level of star power or potential high draft picks, there are still a number of good prospects on the squad. Centre Dylan Peterson is one of this year’s top prospects. The Roseville, California native scored eight goals and 17 assists for 25 points in 45 games.

Last season, Peterson scored eight goals and 21 assists for 29 points in 53 games for the Under-17 team. He also played at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring two goals and two assists for four points in five tournament games. Peterson is committed to playing hockey for the Boston University Terriers next season. Should he change his mind and head to the CHL, his rights are owned by the Ottawa 67’s. It is important to note that while Peterson was born in California, he grew up and played minor hockey in the Ottawa region. As he has not played in an official IIHF tournament yet, he is still eligible to represent both Canada and the United States, though given his NTDP participation, the US is a good bet for whom he will choose.

Our full report here
Dylan Peterson Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #66

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Way too high for me but it's not a great draft, so not surprised someone would gamble on his size in the 3rd.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is his skating still considered a plus?

He's a brilliant skater, and can handle the puck. Plays hard, battles.

The rest is the question. Sense is questionable, not much of a scorer, despite puck handling/skating ability. More of a winger for me than center.

Not a fan of this guy. I don't see more than fourth line upside. I wouldn't even expect that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->