C Denver Barkey - London Knights, OHL (2023, 95th, PHI)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Denver Barkey at eliteprospects.com

London Knights draft selections are always ones to follow, was their first round selection in 2021.

Edit: Scouting Report:
Denver is a small, pesky forward that doesn’t shy away from contact. He is able to put himself into good scoring positions using his awareness and vision. He battles down low and retrieves pucks against forwards much bigger and stronger than him - that is because Barkey is good at anticipating and reacting to what is going on in a board battle.
Barkey, is a great skater, he has good North-South speed and good east-west maneuverability. He has a phenomenal motor that is consistently going at 100 miles per hour. His size shouldn’t limit him much at the next level.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn't realize he's only 5'8. I was actually pretty impressed with his play at the Hlinka, but not for 5'8. I thought he must've been like 5'11 or 6'0. An oversight on my part. I think he'll be drafted next year. He skates pretty well, brings energy, and has some skill. But not some elite guy and how much will he actually play for London next year. That could hurt his draft position.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I didn't realize he's only 5'8. I was actually pretty impressed with his play at the Hlinka, but not for 5'8. I thought he must've been like 5'11 or 6'0. An oversight on my part. I think he'll be drafted next year. He skates pretty well, brings energy, and has some skill. But not some elite guy and how much will he actually play for London next year. That could hurt his draft position.
He’ll be given every opportunity next season for London - they’ll be in a rebuild of sorts next season and this guy is their future.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
If he can reach 5’10 and fill out a bit, I think he has a chance to go in the first round. He’ll be given a big role in London this year, he’s a great skater and is skilled, highly tenacious. He kills penalties similar to the way Marner does, but with a bit more aggressiveness and snarl. Like him a lot

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If he can reach 5’10 and fill out a bit, I think he has a chance to go in the first round. He’ll be given a big role in London this year, he’s a great skater and is skilled, highly tenacious. He kills penalties similar to the way Marner does, but with a bit more aggressiveness and snarl. Like him a lot
His tenacity is what made him one of my favourite Knights to watch last year. There's no doubt he's undersized, but he would always go fearlessly into the corners to retrieve pucks against much larger players (and was often successful).

Barkey is one of those players that could slip in a draft due to his size, but come out a top-10 player from the class.

Reactions: wetcoast

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Classic London prospect scenario. Tried, true and tested formula. Rookies and young forwards in London get limited bottom six minutes until they're ready to contribute more then they blow up and become stars at the junior level. Denver is the next player in a long line and excited to see how he performs the remainder of year.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
He is really starting to heat up. Very excited to see him continue to grow into a useful player. He brings a lot to the table. Work ethic and defensive play will help him progress.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
He is up there on the list of most fun players in the draft. He's the definition of a "waterbug"

Barkey is great at bouncing off contact and holding possession. Utilizes his speed and edges to slip or fake defenders, opening up space for him to attack. He's a high energy player who is engaged every shift, but he maintains the poise to make plays. Keeping his head up and constantly scanning the ice for teammates. His hands are soft and he can make plays. The combination of grit, fearlessness (despite the size), skill and poise make him an exciting prospect

The size is a concern at 5'9 154, but I'm willing to bet on players that have his level of work ethic and skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad