Prospect Info: (C) David Gustafsson (2018, 60th overall pick)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I thought he was terrific at the U18s. Feels like a Jets' pick all the way -- lots of potential, high character, needs to work on mechanics.

Reactions: kylbaz

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Kovalchuk to Kings, 3y deal.

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread. This prospect seems interesting, it’s nice that he can already get a little something done in a men’s league. Anyone know what minutes he was given?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He seems to love his backhand. Of all of his goals I found on Youtube all but one were on the backhand, also all these goals were within like 5 feet of the net.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Really like this pick here, I think he could be a really good Two-Way Top 9 Center going forward. From many accounts he seems to be upper echelon Two-Way Centers of the draft so to get him at #60 is more than satisfying.

Reactions: ps241

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Sounds like a good value pick.

It is but I find that the Jets beyond Scheifele and Lowry have had trouble find, drafting and further more developing Centers compared to Wingers and Defensemen(as With Centers they are pretty much a 50/50 and while whereas in the W’s and D’s they are pretty much as good as anyone for finding and developing talent). I’m extremely interested in how this works out.

Worst case scenario Harkins 2.0(perfect example of a value pick gone wrong, atleast up to date), best case scenario he’s a less offensively inclined Mikko Koivu(so an Elite 3C / maybe high end 2C due to Defensive potential but not the kind of guy who will score 50+ Points but rather 40~ if everything goes perfectly).

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Looks like a solid pick. Won't be a dynamic offensive player, but still has good upside. Not concerned about his skating at all as the player knows and wants to improve in that area. He already plays against men, so I see him making a quick transition to the NHL. Probably one or two years in Sweden and one year in the AHL.

^That^

I don’t see it unless by our luck he turns into a Bergeron 2.0(that’s a 1 in a billion right there).

I think once we move past and on from Little(which irritates the heck out of me that Chevy signed him long term, I hope he gets bought out of moved next season while I’m on subject) that we will go top heavy Offence in the Top 6 with a Linup looking like
EhlersScheifeleLaine
ConnorRoslovicVesalainen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Not sure if Wheeler will still be a Jet or even a NHL player by the time Gustafsson becomes a Jet(assuming Gustafsson does become an NHL player).

With a top heavy shutdown Bottom 6 of
LemiuexGustafssonArmia
CoppLowryAppleton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

a center to play with laine and ehlers

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thanks for the highlights KB83. I am liking his game a lot the more I see. If he can improve his quickness and acceleration there is potential there to be a good all around 2C. He has great instincts and nice hands and vision. He also goes hard to the net and is good at tips.

Reactions: FinJetster

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Looks like a 4C...
How would you compare his upside to Olofsson (taken 4 picks ahead), Akil Thomas (9 picks)?
Leaning towards thinking they should've moved up.

Exactly what makes Olofsson more talented, I mean internationally Gustafsson seemed a lot better this year, there’s definitely an argument to be made Gustafsson is just as talented if not more off of this season alone.

Also if we are just gonna get a dynamic fast winger to slot down the Center we might as well just use Roslovic for that. Gustafsson checks a potential box for a shut down Center who can be an impact on the 3rd line or if he really progresses potentially even 2C.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Biggest challenge for him will be working on his skating. At this point I think he has every other tool to be a great centerman. I think his skating will dictate whether he is closer to a Koivu type player or a Lowry type player. Great in front of the net, good shooting arsenal, great at faceoffs, good vision and great positioning defensively. Could end up being a steal for us, which is something we haven't really had in the 2nd round yet. At least no one that is showing to be in the NHL yet.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Got to see Gustafsson and HV71 this year on a couple trips to Sweden. Best compliment I can pay him is that he just got after it. Decent enough skater, and he played physical -- threw some hits, drove the net with the puck. Skating wasn't amazing and he isn't big enough to actually win all those physical battles (yet), but he really got after it and played tough the way you want from your 3C/4C. When he finishes growing, he could be hell on wheels. I was hoping he'd be there when the Coyotes picked at 65.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Well if we get a bottom 6 centre out of him, that's a win for us. If he wants to blow up his trajectory and turn into a star player that's cool too.

Reactions: Flair Hay

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Really happy with this pick.

If he ends up being a solid 3C that's a tremendous pick.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
It's funny, he seems to play a similar style to Stastny. Future C for Ehlers-Laine?

I'm interested to see if his offense improves next season in the SHL. He should be getting a chance to play.

Also, it will be reallt fun to watch him in the Top 6 for Sweden at WJC-20. I think the only player I wanted more at 60 was Jack Wise, but I agree it's nice to have some size at C.

Reactions: boydkc

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Definitely has the potential to turn out as the Jets best 2nd round selection, which isn’t saying much, but I do think there is some untapped offensive potential there and he will be given time to hone those skills.

Work on that skating and who knows. Can he develop into an Artem Anisimov type player or will he be more of a Marcus Kruger or a Marcus Johansson type. Either way, decently okay pick all things considered.

Reactions: Flair Hay

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
It's funny, he seems to play a similar style to Stastny. Future C for Ehlers-Laine?

I'm interested to see if his offense improves next season in the SHL. He should be getting a chance to play.

Also, it will be reallt fun to watch him in the Top 6 for Sweden at WJC-20. I think the only player I wanted more at 60 was Jack Wise, but I agree it's nice to have some size at C.

Yeah, I was really hoping for Wise too.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
3rd Line center with his upside being a 2nd line center if his offense picks up. He is a big solid 2 way center right now. Going to feature in the Swedish World Junior team. Can't fault them for this pick seems like a solid future NHLer
That's a little optimistic. Although the Jets have a history of being shrewd with their picks.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Seems like better and more patriotic Swedes on the international tournaments subforum is penciling him in for the #3C spot for the WJC.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...all I've got to say is that it's about time we drafted a hard-working, tough Swedish C with good hockey sense. :nod:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Seems like better and more patriotic Swedes on the international tournaments subforum is penciling him in for the #3C spot for the WJC.
Do you need your beloved neighbours to tell you how much this random kid from a blue-and-yellow country sucks? ;)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
How did we avoid drafting a Finn this year? This pick seems to me a half-hearted attempt at maintaining a Swedish presence in the lineup post-Enstrom. Unity though enmity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad