C David Edstrom - Frölunda HC, SHL (2023, 32nd, VGK; traded to SJS)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Big Swedish forward playing in Frolunda’s system. Don’t know much else about him, can someone give me a rundown?

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and Frk It

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This guy and Felix Nilsson feel underrated. Looks like Edstrom is having more scoring success thus far at the SHL level. Great size. Intriguing for sure.

The Swedes may not have a ton of high end guys this draft but probably quite a few that could go in the second round range.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Big Swedish forward playing in Frolunda’s system. Don’t know much else about him, can someone give me a rundown?

He's realbig and realgud. I'm hoping Detroit drafts him in the 2nd. He's got a bit of Oskar Sundqvist in his game. I don't expect big NHL numbers from Edstrom but a 30-40 point 2nd/3rd line tweener who plays solid on the boards, can PK and move up and down the lineup? Those guys have value.

This guy and Felix Nilsson feel underrated. Looks like Edstrom is having more scoring success thus far at the SHL level. Great size. Intriguing for sure.

The Swedes may not have a ton of high end guys this draft but probably quite a few that could go in the second round range.

I've been preaching about Nilsson for a few months now. I've got him ranked as one of the smartest players in the draft. If he can put on about 20 to 25lbs of muscle then he's going to be a player. Maybe a Calle Jarnkrok or maybe a Backlund. Just always seems to make the right plays.

Reactions: Vector

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
How is this guy on the 14th page of the prospects forum?

6'3'', 185 lbs at the combine.

I think there's a fair bit of potential here and suspect someone will bite on him in the mid-late first round.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I think he’ll go in the 20-30 range. Definitely an option for PHI at 22.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Edstrom is a project. He’s a weird player because he’s excellent off the puck but as a center he kinda wants nothing to do with it. Reminds me of Rasmussen in his draft year where the second he touches the puck, he hands it off and goes to the net to take a pounding. Gangly skater but quick, excellent PKer, good on draws, finishes his checks, sometimes abrasive, incredibly active stick etc. Really good in his own end but possession often dies on his blade if he tries to control it too long. Didn’t like his second half in top 10 even though he scored goal and was so-so in the playoffs against Rogle. Looked good in spurts at U18s but that’s too small a sample. Neutral zone can be an adventure and loses battles so adding muscle very important. Maybe thats why he went to the J18. Like I said, a project. Late second-rounder at best but he could go higher if a team needs an aggressive checking center in their system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad