C Curtis Lazar (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

bretzky29ca*

I doubt it...I liked what I saw of Klimchuk...but he wasnt even the best forward on his own team.

In your opinion then, what are Klimchuk's glaring weaknesses that set him apart from the afformentioned Lazar/McKinnon other top prospects?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
In your opinion then, what are Klimchuk's glaring weaknesses that set him apart from the afformentioned Lazar/McKinnon other top prospects?

I can answer that one...explosive offensive ability, does not have that ability to take over in the offensive end...Kilmchuk is talented for sure, fast, good puck handler, good shooter and passer but he lacks that extra gear in the offensive end, that is what seperates him from the top 2...Kilmchuk's ability to try to move into open ice is not as good as the other two, he tries going one on one in clutter spots way too much...

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
?????? a person a player plays with can make all the difference in the world, look at Kevin Stevens, would he have been a big time scorer if not for Lemieux...if mackinnon had other linemates for the teams to worry about then it would open up more ice for mackinnon to do his things on the ice, also mackinnon then would not have to do everything himself, so ya it does make a big difference....again I think lazar is a super talented player and a future NHL player to me...just mackinnon to me is a special player...when you play on a team where the next great offensive talent is bronson beaton and you can finish top in scoring out scoring your other teammate by 4 points and that player is not really good he just took advantage of all the open ice he was given and playing with Nathan was why he got most of those points too well you know that KIND OF HINDERS the whole points a bit eh for Nathan LOL if you don't see that well then i give up............lazar is going to be a great talent in the WHL, if you want to go by stats then look at Petan and Reinhart, both finished top 5 in scoring in the tournament, so I guess having those two with you does not help your case in points on the ice a bit nor does it open up space...I had the same fights on this board with Sidney Crosby topic as I am having right now...I don't care if you think lazar is better but what gets me is to think that mackinnon playing on a team where the next closest guy gets 7 points in 7 games and he only got that because he was playing with mackinnon....and then you have a guy who is greatly talented playing on a line with two amazing players who can create for themselves and demand attention from the other team too....so one case you have a guy who has to do it all himself, then you have another case where a guy has two great linemates who are going to be star talents in any league and they all click for a monster line...but yet the guy who has no one who knows how to open up space and really have trouble on the ice keeping up with the talented players so the one player on the team has to be mr everything your saying that linemates do not matter....?????????????????? Well I was there so was lalalaprise and so where a few other posters who will tell you mackinnon was the best there.

Not reading all that without any paragraph breaks. Would get a headache.

Once again, I'm just looking at the two individually. Their skating, shot, physical play, hockey sense, agility.

The fact that you're getting so wound up over a different opinion is mind boggling.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
You called the guy bias...you didnt just disagree but you went to the next level with it.

I dont post as much anymore on here for the simple fact people cant disagree in a civil manner and for the fact people tend to talk out of their ***** without seeing half of these guys play. Im not saying the latter applies to you but the former certainly does.

You honestly don't think he's biased towards Mackinnon? Once again, we'll agree to disagree.

KingJet*

Madison Bowey, Nathan MacKinnon, Max Domi (95's)

Madison Bowey was suppost to go to Edmonton (thats why Edmonton traded with Seattle last year) but wasn't sure what route to take and thats why he was the first pick in the second round by Kelowna, and Kelowna develops REALLY good defenseman, he'll go top 5, draws a ton of comparisons to Doughty or Ryan Murray. Hes the Best WHL prospect.

Max Domi I think is ALOT like Crosby, call me crazy/Pejorative Slured whatever, but I think he'll be like him

Nathan MacKinnon is the next Lindros (healthy).

Lazar is good too but not as good as these three, reminds me a bit of Sakic

2013 will be a good draft, if anyone asks, Alex Forsberg is VERY overrated

Last edited by a moderator:

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

Madison Bowey was suppost to go to Edmonton (thats why Edmonton traded with Seattle last year) but wasn't sure what route to take and thats why he was the first pick in the second round by Kelowna, and Kelowna develops REALLY good defenseman, he'll go top 5, draws a ton of comparisons to Doughty or Ryan Murray. Hes the Best WHL prospect.

Max Domi I think is ALOT like Crosby, call me crazy/Pejorative Slured whatever, but I think he'll be like him

2013 will be a good draft, if anyone asks, Jesse Forsberg is VERY overrated

Wrong draft or Forsberg.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You honestly don't think he's biased towards Mackinnon? Once again, we'll agree to disagree.

Everyone has their bias's....no one is ever completely free of bias...part of human nature...but I know scoutman1 personally and he has his 'favourites' like all scouts do...but he does change his mind on prospects as their development changes...me and him actually half joked all week after everytime Lazar made a nice play we would look at each other and half jokingly say 'Nathan MacKinnon who?' lol

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

2013 will be a good draft, if anyone asks, Jesse Forsberg is VERY overrated

Honestly looks like a satire post mocking the people in this thread.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Seriously??, you just compared Domi and Mackinnon to the 2 biggest propects in the last 25 years. Saying Domi's name in the same breath as Crosby at this point is like comparing Gretzky to Brian Lawton.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Seriously??, you just compared Domi and Mackinnon to the 2 biggest propects in the last 25 years. Saying Domi's name in the same breath as Crosby at this point is like comparing Gretzky to Brian Lawton.

loool I understand what your saying. But remember a lot of people also thought that it was crazy to compare crosby to gretzky or any top player in the NHL during his time in jr.'s .

hockeywhiz

Aug 21, 2008
trust me I was there for the whole week...Nathan Mackinnon was the best 95 there and Lazar was 2nd...speaking with Lazar before the game two days ago, he thought with a better supporting cast Mackinnon would have destoryed the touraments in scoring. Lazar is awsome though, I love the kid, if the draft was redone he would be 1st overall...deadly accurate hard shot, great movement without the puck to get open, tough, gritty, hard hitting, fast skater and smooth, strong on the puck, excellent puck handling, good vision, he is the first forward back...the guy is going to be a real deal for sure.

I could not agree more with your statement. He's from Lumby near Vernon. He's a great kid off the ice too. Pursuit of Excellence really developed him into a great player. I live one hour and fifteen minutes north of Vernon so I am pretty familiar with his abilities.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Top North American Prospects
Forwards

Erne, Adam
Mckinnon, Nathan
Lazar, Curtis
Forsberg, Alex
Ritchie, Nick

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City

Talked to a scout that I trust very much, last october after the Atlantic Cup Tournament in Moncton.

He was absolutely ecstatic about the play of Nathan McKinnon.

I said to him, "McKinnon is not as good as Crosby?"

He said, "No...but he's pretty close".

That's all you need to know on Nathan McKinnon.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Yes I know how good Mackinnon is, I have seen him play several times and I think he has the potential to be a very great player one day. Although I would not compare him to Lindros if I had to pick someone to compare to. I mean, sure he's physical but he's definitely not the 6'4 monster Lindros was. The main problem I had with the statement was comparing Max Domi to Crosby. First of all he was no where near the best player at Canada games nor was he the best player on his team. Hes not even the clear cut favorite for 1st overall in the ohl draft this year. In crosbys case he was clear cut to go 1st overall in the q draft and dominated the winter games being a year younger than most of the competition. Domi also seems to be more of a guy that would rather do it all on his own and dangle, where as crosby has always been such a great passer rather than trying to do it all. Domi is not near the player crosby was and doesnt even play the same style of game....I just see absolutely no comparison in the 2 players.

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
Yes I know how good Mackinnon is, I have seen him play several times and I think he has the potential to be a very great player one day. Although I would not compare him to Lindros if I had to pick someone to compare to. I mean, sure he's physical but he's definitely not the 6'4 monster Lindros was. The main problem I had with the statement was comparing Max Domi to Crosby. First of all he was no where near the best player at Canada games nor was he the best player on his team. Hes not even the clear cut favorite for 1st overall in the ohl draft this year. In crosbys case he was clear cut to go 1st overall in the q draft and dominated the winter games being a year younger than most of the competition. Domi also seems to be more of a guy that would rather do it all on his own and dangle, where as crosby has always been such a great passer rather than trying to do it all. Domi is not near the player crosby was and doesnt even play the same style of game....I just see absolutely no comparison in the 2 players.

Have not seen Domi played yet. I have the bronze medal game on tape, I'll look at him in the next couple of days.

But reading the comments and report of Scoutman 1 on Domi in the CWG, I agree with you that he seems to be a little bit overhyped.

Don Cherry, someone? :)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Have not seen Domi played yet. I have the bronze medal game on tape, I'll look at him in the next couple of days.

But reading the comments and report of Scoutman 1 on Domi in the CWG, I agree with you that he seems to be a little bit overhyped.

Don Cherry, someone? :)

Yea the general knock on domi is that he lights up weaker teams but doesnt show up in the games against good opponents. Scoutman has told me personally that he thought the exact same of Brule when he was a prospect. Sure, he racked up points and led a lot of tournaments in scoring but most of his points would come in 1 or 2 blowouts for his team, and not many in the closer games

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
Yea the general knock on domi is that he lights up weaker teams but doesnt show up in the games against good opponents. Scoutman has told me personally that he thought the exact same of Brule when he was a prospect. Sure, he racked up points and led a lot of tournaments in scoring but most of his points would come in 1 or 2 blowouts for his team, and not many in the closer games

Interesting, the comparison with Brule.

And not necessarily a compliment on Domi, I might add! :)

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I guess we will agree to disagree. BTW did they give out mvp award?

Were you even at the tournament?

I was and Yes Lazar is a special player, but you actually have to watch the games to see how great MacKinnon is and was playing. He had NO supporting cast and was a one man force for NS.

I was very impressed with Lazar, but from the game I saw against NS the majority of his points came on their PP with great work by his teammates, resulting in a tip infront or rebound goal.

MacKinnon had to generate his own offense.

If you were at the tournament(Which I doubt you were) How do you think Lazar would have faired if he and Mackinnon switched teams?

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Were you even at the tournament?No I watched on tv and online. Does the fact I was not there negate my opinion?

I was and Yes Lazar is a special player, but you actually have to watch the games to see how great MacKinnon is and was playing. He had NO supporting cast and was a one man force for NS.

I was very impressed with Lazar, but from the game I saw against NS the majority of his points came on their PP with great work by his teammates, resulting in a tip infront or rebound goal. MacKinnon had to generate his own offense
. So this is the only game you watched Lazar in?

If you were at the tournament(Which I doubt you were) How do you think Lazar would have faired if he and Mackinnon switched teams?
Impossible to answer the last question.
No where have I said Mckinnon was not very good in the tournment I just feel Lazar was better. It was one tournment, it does not mean I think Lazar will be better.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
[/B] Impossible to answer the last question.
No where have I said Mckinnon was not very good in the tournment I just feel Lazar was better. It was one tournment, it does not mean I think Lazar will be better.

But were you at the tournament?

Guy Flaming

The Oil Kings hope to have Lazar in the line up in "early March" which will be in time for a handful of games before the playoffs.

Griffin Reinhart may also be back in time for the playoffs.

To the person who asked if EDM would be bidding on the 2013 Memorial Cup: No. Can't when theoretically the building could be in use by the Oilers in late May.

Yes... I know that's a massive stretch but it's the same reason CGY doesn't bid on the Memorial Cup either. Until there is a second rink in town big enough (like Vancouver), the Oil Kings are out of luck. New NHL rink is being talked about, maybe by 2016 the Memorial Cup could be a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->