C Curtis Lazar (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It seems Lazar and MacKinnon are going to be the next great battle of debates in juniors. Too bad they play across the country and basically the only time we will see them is Memorial Cup against each other.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Well we already disagree...you prefer Lazar and I prefer MacKinnon...so saying we agree to disagree goes without saying, my point is why is it such a big deal that someone thinks MacKinnon is better?? Im not picking on you, you're just the only one out of the 4-5 people who posted who has responded.

And about the MVP...not too sure, im sure Lazar got it...he led the Toruny in scoring and his team won.

Well it is not a big deal it just that this this is a discussion forum. And I feel Lazar was the better player so we are debating it.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Why are people jumping all over scoutman1???

MacKinnon is better than Lazar...thats my opinion, thats his opinion, thats a lot of people's opinions.

Its classic HF...over react to a 5-6 game tourny.

You can say im bias, I dont really care...I really liked what I saw of Lazar...but he played with Petan and Rienhart...you have to take that into consideration. MacKinnon played with 2 guys who will be lucky to be drafted in the Q draft...perspective is needed, and its not always used on here.

Jump on me if you wish, but my rep on here for knowing what im talking about and being unbiased speaks for itself.

Look at Lazar's skill set. Not who he is playing with. He looks in the same league as Mackinnon to me.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
It seems Lazar and MacKinnon are going to be the next great battle of debates in juniors. Too bad they play across the country and basically the only time we will see them is Memorial Cup against each other.

The Memorial Cup would be a long shot, as both their teams would have to win their league championship, or be on the host team.

These two will see each other at the World Hockey Challenge next year, and should they continue to develop, the U18 and World Junior camps.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Look at Lazar's skill set. Not who he is playing with. He looks in the same league as Mackinnon to me.

No disrespect intended...but i think I know what to look for when I watch hcokey.

The thing is...scoutman1 and I arent saying Lazar is bad...we think he is a great player...but why are people getting so butthurt over the fact we think MacKinnon is better??

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
I only saw a few NS games but MacKinnon was far better than anyone on Quebec and Ontario for sure (missed the BC game).

Beyond that, I'll value the opinion of actual scouts at the game rather than HF posters who watched a few games online and investigated the stat sheets, which leads me to the conclusion MacKinnon is the better prospect.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
No disrespect intended...but i think I know what to look for when I watch hcokey.

The thing is...scoutman1 and I arent saying Lazar is bad...we think he is a great player...but why are people getting so butthurt over the fact we think MacKinnon is better??

I am not saying Lazar is better, I am saying he was better then Mackinnon in this tournment. Why are you so butthurt that people disagree?

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
The Memorial Cup would be a long shot, as both their teams would have to win their league championship, or be on the host team.

These two will see each other at the World Hockey Challenge next year, and should they continue to develop, the U18 and World Junior camps.

I wonder if Edmonton is one of the cities bidding on the Mem Cup 2013?, they'd be a great fit team wise (by then) and as a host city.

I'm also pretty sure whoever ends up with MacKinnon would pull out all the stops to put together a contender during his draft year, still a longshot for them both to make it though.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I am not saying Lazar is better, I am saying he was better then Mackinnon in this tournment. Why are you so butthurt that people disagree?

Im not...i just think its laughable people flip out over others opinions on here.

Notice I didnt reply to anyone saying Lazar is better? Notice how I only replied to people who went after scoutman1 because his opinion differed from theirs.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Im not...i just think its laughable people flip out over others opinions on here.

Notice I didnt reply to anyone saying Lazar is better? Notice how I only replied to people who went after scoutman1 because his opinion differed from theirs.

So we can't have different opinions then scoutman1? This is a hockey prospect discussion site is it not?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
So we can't have different opinions then scoutman1? This is a hockey prospect discussion site is it not?

Yes, you can have differing opinions...but there were 3-4 of you who posted paragraphs basically saying scoutman1 was bias just because he prefers MacKinnon...

Your username is Alberta tough...that would be like me saying you prefer Lazar only because you are from Western Canada...just because scoutman1 is a fan of Nathan MacKinnon, doesnt mean he is bias, especially when people who make a living out of hockey are in agreement with scoutman1...im not saying they are necessarily right, but its not like scoutman1's opinion is by itself on an island.

Plus...you were talking about Lazar being better in this tournament where as the thread was discussing Lazar being the best 1995 prospect....those are two separate topics all together.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Yes, you can have differing opinions...but there were 3-4 of you who posted paragraphs basically saying scoutman1 was bias just because he prefers MacKinnon...

Your username is Alberta tough...that would be like me saying you prefer Lazar only because you are from Western Canada...just because scoutman1 is a fan of Nathan MacKinnon, doesnt mean he is bias, especially when people who make a living out of hockey are in agreement with scoutman1...im not saying they are necessarily right, but its not like scoutman1's opinion is by itself on an island.

Plus...you were talking about Lazar being better in this tournament where as the thread was discussing Lazar being the best 1995 prospect....those are two separate topics all together.

Go back and read what I said in my first post, and see why I quoted scoutman1.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
you are allowed your opinion on Lazar...all i was saying was that me and lalalaprise where there we saw 3 games a day all week, I would not say Nathan was the best if he wasn't...me and lalalaprise attended the tournament as scouts for our junior teams, we were there and all i we are saying is that we saw the games with non biased terms and Mackinnon was better than lazar, but lazar was better than everyone else including Duclaire at the tournament....funny even lazar himself said nathan was the best he ever seen play live.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
you are allowed your opinion on Lazar...all i was saying was that me and lalalaprise where there we saw 3 games a day all week, I would not say Nathan was the best if he wasn't...me and lalalaprise attended the tournament as scouts for our junior teams, we were there and all i we are saying is that we saw the games with non biased terms and Mackinnon was better than lazar, but lazar was better than everyone else including Duclaire at the tournament....funny even lazar himself said nathan was the best he ever seen play live.

Yeah, you mentioned that.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
This board forgets so fast and only listens to the now.

Lazar tears it up, while fellow westerner and this boards old love intrest Alex Forsberg falls in the "Who the Hell is that?" category after playing injured in a Tournement that doesn't really mean that much in the long haul.

I take it Lazars never seen an NHL game then.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
in response to someone saying that Lazar will have trouble being physical in the dub, in his call up games as a 15yo he had no prob dishing hits. i think he could end up having a similar career in the dub as Gilbert Brule did. similar skill sets and size. im not sure what appropriate numbers would be next year but with a better oil kings team 20-30 50 in 70 games would be doable

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Oil Kings future captain

At this rate, he will be in the NHL before he gets a chance to be captain :laugh:

From what I know, Lowe and Reinhart are both great in the room, so he may have competition before his draft year. Who knows though, it's hilarious to go back to 2008 and see who they thought would be at the top of the 2011 draft...so much time (although, our boy RNH has been a constant lol)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
?????? a person a player plays with can make all the difference in the world, look at Kevin Stevens, would he have been a big time scorer if not for Lemieux...if mackinnon had other linemates for the teams to worry about then it would open up more ice for mackinnon to do his things on the ice, also mackinnon then would not have to do everything himself, so ya it does make a big difference....again I think lazar is a super talented player and a future NHL player to me...just mackinnon to me is a special player...when you play on a team where the next great offensive talent is bronson beaton and you can finish top in scoring out scoring your other teammate by 4 points and that player is not really good he just took advantage of all the open ice he was given and playing with Nathan was why he got most of those points too well you know that KIND OF HINDERS the whole points a bit eh for Nathan LOL if you don't see that well then i give up............lazar is going to be a great talent in the WHL, if you want to go by stats then look at Petan and Reinhart, both finished top 5 in scoring in the tournament, so I guess having those two with you does not help your case in points on the ice a bit nor does it open up space...I had the same fights on this board with Sidney Crosby topic as I am having right now...I don't care if you think lazar is better but what gets me is to think that mackinnon playing on a team where the next closest guy gets 7 points in 7 games and he only got that because he was playing with mackinnon....and then you have a guy who is greatly talented playing on a line with two amazing players who can create for themselves and demand attention from the other team too....so one case you have a guy who has to do it all himself, then you have another case where a guy has two great linemates who are going to be star talents in any league and they all click for a monster line...but yet the guy who has no one who knows how to open up space and really have trouble on the ice keeping up with the talented players so the one player on the team has to be mr everything your saying that linemates do not matter....?????????????????? Well I was there so was lalalaprise and so where a few other posters who will tell you mackinnon was the best there.

Last edited:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
ok so maybe Lazar is not the best 95 in north america but he is a great talent non the less. 2013 looks to have a few promising players at this point. is alex forsberg still in the running?

1. Mackinnon
2. Lazar
3. Forsberg
?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Nobody is getting upset over this. It's simply a difference of opinion. This is a message board afterall. There's going to be a differing of opinions. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean he's mad about it.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
ok so maybe Lazar is not the best 95 in north america but he is a great talent non the less. 2013 looks to have a few promising players at this point. is alex forsberg still in the running?

1. Mackinnon
2. Lazar
3. Forsberg
?

Won't really get a better idea until they all face off at the U 17 World Hockey Challenge. Interested in seeing if Santini is the quality that the likes of Lazar, Mackinnon are.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Nobody is getting upset over this. It's simply a difference of opinion. This is a message board afterall. There's going to be a differing of opinions. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean he's mad about it.

You called the guy bias...you didnt just disagree but you went to the next level with it.

I dont post as much anymore on here for the simple fact people cant disagree in a civil manner and for the fact people tend to talk out of their ***** without seeing half of these guys play. Im not saying the latter applies to you but the former certainly does.

bretzky29ca*

Alot of undervaluing of Klimchuk on this board. Will be the top '95 prospect when their 16/17 year old seasons are all said and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad