C Connor Zary - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2020, 24th, CGY)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I get what you are saying but I also think of those two players kind of like opposites.

I think Perreault has much better tools than Zary (faster, better shot) but doesn't seem to use them much. He doesn't have the diligence or consistency that Zary has. Perreault is a little bit polarizing, I think. His talent is often said to be top ten but he'll go anywhere from 13th to 33rd.

I mostly agree. I wasn't stating they play the exact same way. I was comparing the discussion surrounding them, as I consider both to be very underrated players.

I think of them both in the 2c/3c category. Holloway has a lot more questions about his scoring smarts, but he's going to be a beast in the NHL. I'd say safer than Zary who doesn't have the elite skating. Looking at the Rangers lineup, Holloway would provide the power up the middle, which is the biggest thing they're missing up front. I don't think they're in as desperate need of a boom/bust pick as some teams are, not with Zibby and Panarin there.

I think Zary is at least a line better. I think Zary's projection is a 2C, and Holloway is a 3C. The Rangers don't really need someone like Holloway. We have a version like him with Brett Howden. We have Chytil, who has great size, speed, power. We even drafted a young center who was known for areas other than pure scoring, Lias Andersson, in the top 10.

If the Rangers pick Holloway anywhere earlier than the 20's, I am not going to like the pick.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Zary is at least a line better. I think Zary's projection is a 2C, and Holloway is a 3C. The Rangers don't really need someone like Holloway. We have a version like him with Brett Howden. We have Chytil, who has great size, speed, power. We even drafted a young center who was known for areas other than pure scoring, Lias Andersson, in the top 10.

If the Rangers pick Holloway anywhere earlier than the 20's, I am not going to like the pick.

If there is a player that reminds me of Andersson - who was a top scorer at lower levels yet lacked dominant tools - it's Zary.

I'm not a Rags fan and I'm sure you know Howden and Chytil better than I do. I was thinking Holloway would be more powerful than Howden.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If there is a player that reminds me of Andersson - who was a top scorer at lower levels yet lacked dominant tools - it's Zary.

I don't see that. Andersson doesn't have the type of offensive upside as Zary does. Zary may not be that flashy, but he's a lot more talented of a playmaker than Andersson. Andersson was known for his grit and two way play. He was viewed as extremely similar to Anton Lundell.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see that. Andersson doesn't have the type of offensive upside as Zary does. Zary may not be that flashy, but he's a lot more talented of a playmaker than Andersson. Andersson was known for his grit and two way play. He was viewed as extremely similar to Anton Lundell.

Wasn't Andersson something like the top 17 year old scorer in the SHL? Something like that. It's just an observation that he produced a ton without having NHL speed or NHL puck skills, just like Zary. I don't have a super deep read on Zary though, I haven't seen enough video to characterize how he thinks the game. It's just the raw tools that are unimpressive to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wasn't Andersson something like the top 17 year old scorer in the SHL? Something like that.

He might've been. I don't remember. I remember that he was a top six forward for the best team in the SHL his draft season. Outside of that, I don't know any more specifics.

One thing that was apparent with Andersson was that he's not a playmaker. He was never advertised as one, and his playmaking was even worse once he was drafted and I started watching him play more games. He was advertised as more of a scorer, and then that eventually became a problem as he got to higher levels.

I think if you wanted to say that Zary and Andersson are similarly not great skaters and not the tallest centers, that would be apt. I'd agree with that. Outside of that, I think Andersson is a lot more similar to Lundell. The only real difference would be that Lundell is a few inches taller, but Andersson was very stocky, so his size wasn't considered a problem.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not a big Holloway guy, but the NCAA is a significantly higher level of hockey. His skating and strength alone make him viable, and while i didn't see it in the games i watched, some Badger watchers said that he turned a corner during his season and finished strong. Hard to do at such a young age.
Holloway also has very good hands, which puts him into a category above many big fast forwards. I think he could take a big step forward next year.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Holloway also has very good hands, which puts him into a category above many big fast forwards. I think he could take a big step forward next year.

I would take Holloway (and some others) before Zary, which means I would not take Zary in the 10-ish area. That doesn't mean I disagree with things said about Zary here. Meat and potatoes, no strengths no weaknesses, kinda average across the board. Except, perhaps, character, which is extremely important. I probably would agree with Bo Horvat being a reasonable ceiling for him, but I guess I am not as optimistic as others in this thread about him getting there.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
the talking point Zary doesn't have any standout traits is just flat out wrong. Even if you're just a youtube scout in his highlights I'm not sure how you can't see some elite traits. He is one of the smartest players in the draft, has some of if not the best hands and is one of the best play makers. His shot isn't that far off the top guys either.

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

Seems like a good time for a Zary highlight video. Good solid player, no real weaknesses, natural center. I'd project him going somewhere in the 15-25 range.

Reactions: Dominance

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Fresh new hype reel for Connor Zary - absolute workhorse of a player

Hope you guys enjoy :)

As someone who lives in Kamloops and is a fan of Connor, this was pretty cool. Thanks for the share.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stylistically he reminds me a bit of Monohan. Late birthday, well rounded offensive centerman that doesn't have any big time stand out skills but is good at everything.

Reactions: PuckProspects

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
In some sense, I can see a Lundell and a Andersson comparison.

Except (in Sweden anyway) Andersson is/was very good at getting to dangerous areas and taking high danger shots and tips. Lundell has played much more from the perimeter and seems to settle for low to medium danger stuff. The general point maybe about the limited upside might be fair, but I think the offense each has is pretty different from each other (Lundell probably the better facilitator for example, and like I said, LA is better at driving the net and cleaning up down low).

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's interesting reading the comments in here and contrast that with where he is ranked. I've only just started watching a bit of footage on Zary and so far I have to say I agree with you guys more than the scouts. He strikes me as a prototypical modern day NHLer. Plays the right way, he's smart, can pass and shot, great hands and is competitive. Even if he is not the greatest skater he plays fast, so I don't see it being much of a problem at all. Really safe pick and has a good chance at being a #2C in my books. Should be ranked higher.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
the talking point Zary doesn't have any standout traits is just flat out wrong. Even if you're just a youtube scout in his highlights I'm not sure how you can't see some elite traits. He is one of the smartest players in the draft, has some of if not the best hands and is one of the best play makers. His shot isn't that far off the top guys either.

I'm not saying youre wrong but if hes one of the smartest players with the best hands and is a top play maker with a high end shot, why is he projected to go closer to 25 than top 5?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Perceived skating issues similar to ROR had in 09.

Fair enough, you dont think he has skating issues though?

This is a guy I cant say Ive seen much of so Im genuinely curious. The way youre describing him he sounds like he should be a top 4 pick but I havent seen that from basically anywhere else

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Fair enough, you dont think he has skating issues though?

This is a guy I cant say Ive seen much of so Im genuinely curious. The way youre describing him he sounds like he should be a top 4 pick but I havent seen that from basically anywhere else
Top 4 no, top 10 yes. He hunches over in his stride so it doesn't look as appealing to the eye as some other prospects but it's still effective which is what matters. His skating isn't on Jarvis, Sourdif level but Zary plays more of a possession style which is way more valuable as he brings it every shift where others just flash a couple times a game then ghost the rest of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad