C Connor Zary - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2020, 24th, CGY)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The NYR would be a very interesting destination for Byfield.

We won't pick high enough. I don't see much of a chance we pick higher than 10. It would require winning the lottery with close to the smallest odds. We might not even draft in the lottery. We aren't as bad this season.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Was the Byram and Zary show tonight. They both put up 3 points and were going head to head all night. Zary had 2 really nice goals the first was a quick release to beat Tendeck and second was a good one timer back door. His assist was a good job jamming the puck free for his teammate to tap in. Almost won it in ot after dancing through a couple guys but hit the crossbar. 30 goals on the year so far

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Was the Byram and Zary show tonight. They both put up 3 points and were going head to head all night. Zary had 2 really nice goals the first was a quick release to beat Tendeck and second was a good one timer back door. His assist was a good job jamming the puck free for his teammate to tap in. Almost won it in ot after dancing through a couple guys but hit the crossbar. 30 goals on the year so far
He's trending towards being a borderline top-10 pick.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Would you say he is the best prospect to come out of the WHL this year? I think only Jarvis comes close.
For me Zary is the clear top WHL prospect this year but I'm not that high on Jarvis personally(still like him but he's not as good as his numbers suggest imo). This is just me but Zary is on his own in tier 1, Guhle+Schneider tier 2, Neighbours, Jarvis and Greig tier 3, Sourdif, Wiesblatt and Finley tier 4 then wide open tier 5.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
For me Zary is the clear top WHL prospect this year but I'm not that high on Jarvis personally(still like him but he's not as good as his numbers suggest imo). This is just me but Zary is on his own in tier 1, Guhle+Schneider tier 2, Neighbours, Jarvis and Greig tier 3, Sourdif, Wiesblatt and Finley tier 4 then wide open tier 5.
Thanks. How would you compare Jarvis to Yamamoto as a prospect?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Thanks. How would you compare Jarvis to Yamamoto as a prospect?
Don't want to side track the Zary thread too much but that's the closest comp I have for Jarvis atm. Yamamoto was more polished his draft year as he had a extra year due to late bday and he played a little more engaged than Jarvis does. Jarvis is a high upside player but there is some risk with him compared to a Neighbours who has a lower ceiling but high floor. In todays nhl I think Jarvis can get by but to thrive he'll have to keep working on his skating and learn to play tougher like Yamamoto did in the ahl

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
We've just completed a little Q&A with Zary over on FC for those that are interested.

Five For Connor Zary

"I felt comfortable coming in. I’m in a leadership role wearing a letter this season. That makes it easier when you’re put in that situation. There is more pressure being an older guy but are still in your draft year, but I think it was a lot of fun and being able to feel comfortable coming in was huge, being my third year. That helps a lot, being able to know what to expect.”

Reactions: bukwas

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Good to see a guy that watches allot of WHL hockey having Zary ranked this high in the west. Where would you rank him overall this year?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Good to see a guy that watches allot of WHL hockey having Zary ranked this high in the west. Where would you rank him overall this year?
Personally I have him 8th and think he should obviously go top 10 this year like Horvat did back in 2013. In the same tier with the likes of Drysdale, Lundell, Askarov, Quinn and Rossi for me.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Personally I have him 8th and think he should obviously go top 10 this year like Horvat did back in 2013. In the same tier with the likes of Drysdale, Lundell, Askarov, Quinn and Rossi for me.

Thanks for the reply I am glad you feel that highly about him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I might be undervaluing Horvat, but I think Zary is the better prospect (different drafts though, this one is deeper). Bo does some things better than Zary no doubt, but I think Zary possesses better cerebral play in the offensive when he has the puck and I suggest he's a better goalscorer. I think Zary is closer to Reinhart than Horvat IMO.

Reactions: Dominance

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I might be undervaluing Horvat, but I think Zary is the better prospect (different drafts though, this one is deeper). Bo does some things better than Zary no doubt, but I think Zary possesses better cerebral play in the offensive when he has the puck and I suggest he's a better goalscorer. I think Zary is closer to Reinhart than Horvat IMO.
I mean no comp is perfect but Zary plays a way more assertive and aggressive style where Reinhart is a bit more passive. Reinhart is also more of a winger where Horvat and Zary are play driving centers. Horvat also has produced just as much as Reinhart but as a line driver where Reinhart has played with Eichel a fair amount. I also see a future leader and likely captain in Zary similar to Horvat. Skill wise Reinhart isn't a bad comp but when you factor is play style and character I see way more of Horvat in Zary.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I would agree that as a prospect, Zary has notably higher upside in terms of offensive production.

And I loved Horvat in junior, and he remains one of my favourite players in the NHL, too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like Zary is a player that gets under-discussed, and the reason is that there’s only so much discussion to go around about these pluses. Him and Perreault in particular are very under-discussed in a very deep crop of Canadians that this applies to. He’s not polarizing, he’s not a top five level guy, he’s not a big riser. He’s been a consistent name in the same range all season and had produced. He’s a top half of the first round guy, in my opinion, and I’d have no problem with my team picking either.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I feel like Zary is a player that gets under-discussed, and the reason is that there’s only so much discussion to go around about these pluses. Him and Perreault in particular are very under-discussed in a very deep crop of Canadians that this applies to. He’s not polarizing, he’s not a top five level guy, he’s not a big riser. He’s been a consistent name in the same range all season and had produced. He’s a top half of the first round guy, in my opinion, and I’d have no problem with my team picking either.

Well, we (as in the Rangers) need a quality C prospect in the worst way, so Zary would be a very good option if we're picking in the 15-20 range with one of our two first rounders.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
He is a player who would’ve benefited from a long playoff run to enhance his draft position. Last season he was very clutch for the Blazers late season push to the playoffs and in the playoffs

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well, we (as in the Rangers) need a quality C prospect in the worst way, so Zary would be a very good option if we're picking in the 15-20 range with one of our two first rounders.

I’d be pretty upset if we went with Holloway over Zary, like a lot seem to suggest we do. It seems like Holloway has been a popular name to connect to the Rangers because we picked a Wisconsin player recently.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not a big Holloway guy, but the NCAA is a significantly higher level of hockey. His skating and strength alone make him viable, and while i didn't see it in the games i watched, some Badger watchers said that he turned a corner during his season and finished strong. Hard to do at such a young age.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I get what you are saying but I also think of those two players kind of like opposites.

I think Perreault has much better tools than Zary (faster, better shot) but doesn't seem to use them much. He doesn't have the diligence or consistency that Zary has. Perreault is a little bit polarizing, I think. His talent is often said to be top ten but he'll go anywhere from 13th to 33rd.

I’d be pretty upset if we went with Holloway over Zary, like a lot seem to suggest we do. It seems like Holloway has been a popular name to connect to the Rangers because we picked a Wisconsin player recently.

I think of them both in the 2c/3c category. Holloway has a lot more questions about his scoring smarts, but he's going to be a beast in the NHL. I'd say safer than Zary who doesn't have the elite skating. Looking at the Rangers lineup, Holloway would provide the power up the middle, which is the biggest thing they're missing up front. I don't think they're in as desperate need of a boom/bust pick as some teams are, not with Zibby and Panarin there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad