C Connor Zary - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2020, 24th, CGY)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You can make a case for Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond, or Stutzle as potential centres, but the general consensus is that all stand a significant chance of being a winger.

Rossi isnt in the same boat as those players his skillset doesnt translate as well to wing and he is the best play maker and puck distributer of that group. Not to mention he is very good defensively and incredibly strong on the puck, he is going to play at close to 200 pounds. I havent seen one person that watches him consistently make this claim. Its not accurate.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Nope he is a center and will be at the NHL level too. He is very strong on the puck and great in the dot, his elite skill is his vision and play making he wont be a winger in the NHL he will be far less effective.
Plenty of players with elite vision and hands thrive on the wing. Kane and Panarin for example, as well as Kucherov, who I often compare Rossi's game to.

I think between Rossi, Stutzle, and Perfetti, one or two will end up at center.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Exactly. The last draft with poor center depth, 2018, had Kotkaniemi and Hayton jump into the top-5. Despite this draft being deep, I don't see Zary slipping out of the top-15 due to the lack of centers.

A lot could change between now and June though.

I think Holloway is someone teams view as a center prospect, and I am guessing they are higher on him than most folks on here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Typically player’s producing at Zary’s pace in their draft year go pretty high. I know it’s a deep draft and all, but he is an extremely good prospect who is probably a year away from the NHL (after this one of course). Any team that gets him in the teens will have an absolute steal. I just hope it’s not Nashville or Chicago.

Would be funny, guy he reminds me of most is Toews. I think Zary has some underrated hands.

Reactions: Dominance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Plenty of players with elite vision and hands thrive on the wing. Kane and Panarin for example, as well as Kucherov, who I often compare Rossi's game to.

I think between Rossi, Stutzle, and Perfetti, one or two will end up at center.

He doesnt have Kane's speed or Kucherov or Panarins shot but he is great defensively and amazing at faceoffs. I live in Ottawa I go to lots of games, his strenght is his ability to distribute below the dots and protect the puck, he protects the puck very well. Stylistically he plays alot like Crosby (obviously not nearly as good just in the way he plays). I would be truly shocked if he isnt a center in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Isn't he a LW? Either way, I prefer Zary over him.

I prefer Zary as well. I believe Holloway is playing LW in the NCAA this season, but prior to that I think he has always played center. He did for Canada at the U18s IIRC.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Typically player’s producing at Zary’s pace in their draft year go pretty high. I know it’s a deep draft and all, but he is an extremely good prospect who is probably a year away from the NHL (after this one of course). Any team that gets him in the teens will have an absolute steal. I just hope it’s not Nashville or Chicago.

They said the same thing about Dach last year

I think Holloway is someone teams view as a center prospect, and I am guessing they are higher on him than most folks on here.

Holloway may go lower only because I think he will stay at Wisconsin 1 more year. Him and Zary may flip flop

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Holloway may go lower only because I think he will stay at Wisconsin 1 more year. Him and Zary may flip flop

Do you think that would negatively affect his draft stock? It didn't really hurt Turcotte last year. After Lafreniere/Byfield, I don't think there is anyone going straight to the NHL in this draft. So it seems like that decision would be inconsequential, no?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the 10th pick, especially with such a winger-heavy top-10.

Although I will still hold out hope that he drops to our pick. :)
Rossi is a center...

Pretty much what Dominance says, even if Raymond is a natural winger. The biggest problem with centres not in this draft year, but every year is that some of these centres will eventually become wingers due to unforeseen circumstances. However, there is also a case that Zary could not make it as centre either. I do think out of the ones for this draft, Rossi and Stuetzle (and Byfield) are the ones that should make it as centres.
You can make a case for Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond, or Stutzle as potential centres, but the general consensus is that all stand a significant chance of being a winger.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pretty much what Dominance says, even if Raymond is a natural winger. The biggest problem with centres not in this draft year, but every year is that some of these centres will eventually become wingers due to unforeseen circumstances. However, there is also a case that Zary could not make it as centre either. I do think out of the ones for this draft, Rossi and Stuetzle are the ones that should make it as centres.

Like I said its really not the same thing at all for every player. If you watch Rossi you will know that he will be a center at the next level. He wont be as effective as a winger, he is heavy on his stick and terrific defensively while be amazing in the dot.

Dont mean to hijack the thread.

Loving all the info on Zary, living in the east in Ontario we dont get much exposure.

Sounds like a great pick if you can land him in the teens.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Do you think that would negatively affect his draft stock? It didn't really hurt Turcotte last year. After Lafreniere/Byfield, I don't think there is anyone going straight to the NHL in this draft. So it seems like that decision would be inconsequential, no?

As much as I like Byfield, I'm not sure that he is going directly to the NHL next year, Lafreniere yes but as a winger.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah, depends on who drafts him I think (re:Byfield).

Sure but it would need to be a team with pretty good top wingers and a decent puck moving possession type of Dman and the thing is that any team drafting 2nd likely doesn't have that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sure but it would need to be a team with pretty good top wingers and a decent puck moving possession type of Dman and the thing is that any team drafting 2nd likely doesn't have that.

Well not only would depend on their roster, but also development philosophy.

Some teams may feel a bigger guy like Byfield doesn’t have much to gain from playing another year against teenagers.

So ultimately a number of factors, and different NHL teams would approach it differently I imagine.

Reactions: LDF

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well not only would depend on their roster, but also development philosophy.

Some teams may feel a bigger guy like Byfield doesn’t have much to gain from playing another year against teenagers.

So ultimately a number of factors, and different NHL teams would approach it differently I imagine.
Sometimes it isn't even philosophy. It's market pressure to sell potential improvement. Which is why you will never see a 1st overall not in the NHL in their D+1 anymore. One, the pick will get questioned because someone behind him will likely be in the show, and two, when a team is bad enough to draft 1st generally, all they have to market is the teams future which they showcase through their high pick.

To be honest, I don't think size makes a difference on whether a guy can improve in junior or not. Now, size may make them a more viable NHL player. It is all about what you focus on. Yes, if you want to play a junior game and just do that, then you won't improve, but if you have a list of things to specifically improve on, that you can't experiment with at higher levels because it would be exposed, a lower level is the best place to work on those things.

Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->