C Connor Zary - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2020, 24th, CGY)

BillP

Oct 24, 2012
Canada
I've only seen 5/6 blazers games this year and I can't say I'm much of a scout either, but I'll offer my 2 cents for what it's worth. Zary doesn't seem to do anything exceptionally well, other than his recent knack for elevating his play at crucial moments. His vision and patience were noticeable at the end of the season, no problem hanging on to the puck and waiting for an opportunity rather than forcing it. All the tools seem to be there (IQ, shot, physicality), but his work ethic and tenacity will be what separates him from the pack, if anything. Him and Stankoven should be putting up some pretty big numbers over the next couple years. Only a matter of time until Sopotyk, Pillar and Schmiemann get their own threads on here too.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I've only seen 5/6 blazers games this year and I can't say I'm much of a scout either, but I'll offer my 2 cents for what it's worth. Zary doesn't seem to do anything exceptionally well, other than his recent knack for elevating his play at crucial moments. His vision and patience were noticeable at the end of the season, no problem hanging on to the puck and waiting for an opportunity rather than forcing it. All the tools seem to be there (IQ, shot, physicality), but his work ethic and tenacity will be what separates him from the pack, if anything. Him and Stankoven should be putting up some pretty big numbers over the next couple years. Only a matter of time until Sopotyk, Pillar and Schmiemann get their own threads on here too.
I hate when people overreact to terminology like “doesn’t do anything exceptionally well.” Like, that’s not a knock, just a fair statement. But I do think something must be said that while they may not be “exceptional”, I think his hands, snapper, and overall skating are pretty damn “good.” :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BillP

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
He’d be super young. He’d have good stats that only developed more over the year. He’d have taken the reins to his team in the last third of the season.

He’d go top-20 if not top-15.

33 points in his team's final 22 games (including the tiebreaker) and 12 points in the final 6, including 2 GWG, a game-tying goal in the final seconds, and a game-winning assist.

As a 17-year-old.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
33 points in his team's final 22 games (including the tiebreaker) and 12 points in the final 6, including 2 GWG, a game-tying goal in the final seconds, and a game-winning assist.

As a 17-year-old.
And then you compare that to how high a guy like Foudy rose just on the basis of having a strong second half without all of the other factors in Zary’s favour. Zero chance he would fall past 20, and it’s possible a team would reach.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Had a great, clutch finish to the season but he’s still a smallish guy without a lot of dynamic qualities.

If he was born 10 days earlier he’d have a chance of slipping into the 1st round this year but probably a 2nd rounder.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Did his production at the U-18s help him rise for 2020?

He was already a likely top-10 pick. Playing at a similar level as Lundell will help him solidify that case.

Yeah he put himself up there with his WHL season and a decent playoff on top of that. Unless Guhle takes a big offensive step next season he's likely the top kid coming out of the Dub.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Zary is off to a great start but he should be over 2 PPG as he's been robbed multiple times each games of goals which says how much he's been driving play. He was already a force last year but this year he controls the play every time he touches the ice and is always pestering the puck carrier in the defensive zone. If Zary doesn't go top 10 this year I'll be surprised at this point.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Zary is off to a great start but he should be over 2 PPG as he's been robbed multiple times each games of goals which says how much he's been driving play. He was already a force last year but this year he controls the play every time he touches the ice and is always pestering the puck carrier in the defensive zone. If Zary doesn't go top 10 this year I'll be surprised at this point.
Yeah, if it wasn’t obvious before the season that he would be the first selection from the WHL next June, it sure is now. Doesn’t really have any weaknesses, how high he rises is just a question of how much skill he can flash. Looking good as of now.

FWF

Cheers
May 20, 2019
Prince George, BC
www.youtube.com
Zary see's the ice like no one else in the WHL. I wish takeaways were a public stat in the dub because Zary has some of the best two-way IQ I've seen in a junior player. He's always one step ahead of everyone, always cutting off lanes and forcing opponents to make a less opportune chance. Not to mention he always has his head up with or without the puck, and when he does have it, it is extremely difficult to get him off of it. The amount of times I've seen him circle the opponents zone with the puck to find the perfect pass, like f***, he's just so fun to watch. If he keeps playing the way he does, I don't see why he shouldn't go top 10, he's looked far better than players like Lapierre and Perfetti IMO, no disrespect to those guys, but I see a far more complete/dynamic player out of Zary.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Zary see's the ice like no one else in the WHL. I wish takeaways were a public stat in the dub because Zary has some of the best two-way IQ I've seen in a junior player. He's always one step ahead of everyone, always cutting off lanes and forcing opponents to make a less opportune chance. Not to mention he always has his head up with or without the puck, and when he does have it, it is extremely difficult to get him off of it. The amount of times I've seen him circle the opponents zone with the puck to find the perfect pass, like ****, he's just so fun to watch. If he keeps playing the way he does, I don't see why he shouldn't go top 10, he's looked far better than players like Lapierre and Perfetti IMO, no disrespect to those guys, but I see a far more complete/dynamic player out of Zary.

He'll be top10, no doubt. I think a bigger question is if he's in the top 3

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He is off to a great start but that top 10 is going to be very hard to crack.

the highest I have seen him listed so far is 22nd.

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM TOP 31

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I mean, those rankings were made months ago, they are due for updates, if Future Considerations and Hockeyprospect don't raise him, they need to hire new staff :)

So who in the top 10 slides out if you put Zary there?

I mean Drysdale and Rossi are already at 11 and 12, this years top 10 is just extremely good and will be hard to crack.

I like Zary a lot but for someone to say that he is lock for top 10 is recency bias right now.

But who knows maybe he is the guy who is the big riser this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad