C Connor McMichael - London Knights, OHL (2019, 25th, WSH)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Wonder if the Leafs could potentially snag him.
Wishful thinking, although I think he projects as a centre and I think we have other areas to focus on. He’s right in our range in most lists for now, but he’s been steadily rising all season. I expect he’ll be long gone well before where I hope our pick ends up (#31 :naughty:).

Reactions: Apotheosis

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
He's steadily growing on me. And you know that you will most likely obtain a quality NHLer, coming from the Knights organization. I am one Hab fan in the minority, that still believe that the Center position is still lacking in skill, regardless of the improvement in depth after last year's draft.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
As Tryamkin said, he is intelligent. He makes some great reads and has a lot of quickness too.

Here's a shift-by-shift of one of his games this season:

I think a few people here have him rated in their Top 10, and I concur with that assessment.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
As Tryamkin said, he is intelligent. He makes some great reads and has a lot of quickness too.

Here's a shift-by-shift of one of his games this season:

I think a few people here have him rated in their Top 10, and I concur with that assessment.

I’m my opinion, the Pierre Luc Dubois of this year, could end up as a top 5 pick at the end of the year.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I’m my opinion, the Pierre Luc Dubois of this year, could end up as a top 5 pick at the end of the year.
I think you're absolutely right.

When I watch him, I wonder if he's better than Dylan Cozens, to be honest. Based on what I've seen so far, he seems more effective on a shift-to-shift basis than Cozens. I have Cozens at the top of my third tier, but McMichael could definitely supplant him at #5.

Hockey IQ is their best attribute, but neither of them have the best puck-handling skills. On the basis of reading plays, I like a lot of Connor's positioning and choices with the puck.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Please let him go to Montreal. :)
Knights season ticket holder here. Kid is the real deal.
Put in the work over the last off season to step up this year and will continue to do so in the future. He is driven.
Good skater, high conpete and is able to find those soft spots goal scorers do naturally. Lots of goals in tight which shows he isnt afraid of contact zones even thou he isnt a real physical presence.
Different player than Thomas (as Ive seen compared here) but will continue to move up the draft rankings.
Kid gets it.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Him or Dach?
Purely opinion, but I’d still easily take Dach - although I love McMichael.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I can’t wrap my head around Dach’s recent point slump. When I attended the Blades game on Saturday, he could have easily had half a dozen assists on top of his great goal. His vision is amazing and his puck handling, puck possession, and passing skills are astounding. He also has a great shot, which is why I get so pissed off when he consistently refuses to shoot. McMichael is good in his own end but Dach is truly great from all my viewings; his two-way game needs so much more attention.

I think Dach can be like Getzlaf, and McMichael like Dubois. Both great players, but there’s a clear separation.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Where do people see him going in the draft?

Seems like the consensus is 15-20 range but the consensus usually lags behind prospects who are continually gaining momentum. There's not many prospects out there with more momentum than McMichael and you add that to him being on the proven London prospect-factory and likely having an extended season to shine with a long playoff run and potentially a Memorial Cup run and I think the posters who have been touting him as a potential Top 10 pick in recent weeks are likely to be more correct.

Few on the consensus lists if any had Hayton as high as he went, #5 overall, last season and I feel like if any prospect out there right now is in the kind of situation to pull that off, it might be McMichael. Now Brock still had him I believe #3 overall in just the OHL recently and there may be a limit to how high he can move in this draft when the Top 10 is thick with big-time forward talents but I'd bet Top 10 at this point without batting an eyelash.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
David O'Connor became the President and CEO of the Madison Square Garden Company, the owner of the New York Rangers, in the same month that Connor McDavid was drafted by the Edmonton Oilers: June 2015.

While they may never have met, O'Connor and McDavid's lives both intersected for a brief moment.

David O'Connor

O'Connor stepped down in November 2017. James Dolan was his replacement as CEO.

That month, McDavid had the flu.

https://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-has-lost-5-10-lbs-due-to-illness-1.924075
This is the kind of quality analysis that keeps me comoing back to HFBoards.

Reactions: FDBluth

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Purely opinion, but I’d still easily take Dach - although I love McMichael.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I can’t wrap my head around Dach’s recent point slump. When I attended the Blades game on Saturday, he could have easily had half a dozen assists on top of his great goal. His vision is amazing and his puck handling, puck possession, and passing skills are astounding. He also has a great shot, which is why I get so pissed off when he consistently refuses to shoot. McMichael is good in his own end but Dach is truly great from all my viewings; his two-way game needs so much more attention.

I think Dach can be like Getzlaf, and McMichael like Dubois. Both great players, but there’s a clear separation.

Thanks gotcha. Seems to be so many quality forwards at the top of this draft that it’s starting to get really hard to distinguish player X vs Y if you’re like me and can’t see many of the games.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Thanks gotcha. Seems to be so many quality forwards at the top of this draft that it’s starting to get really hard to distinguish player X vs Y if you’re like me and can’t see many of the games.
I’m fortunate enough to get to see a fair amount of WHL action live and some OHL games each season. I also love junior hockey enough to take the time to identify and, if needs be, pay for the means of watching other CHL action. I try to watch some US stuff, though probably not enough to construct a reliable opinion on American prospects (although that doesn’t stop me). I basically only see Euros at international events like the Hlinka, WJC, Canada-Russia series and so on unless it’s really convenient to watch a known top guy. But even with all that I’m in the same boat as you with trying to parcel out the great forward talent at the top of this draft, even just the North Americans. I’m really looking forward to this year’s draft as it may be one of the most interesting in several years.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Seems like the consensus is 15-20 range but the consensus usually lags behind prospects who are continually gaining momentum. There's not many prospects out there with more momentum than McMichael and you add that to him being on the proven London prospect-factory and likely having an extended season to shine with a long playoff run and potentially a Memorial Cup run and I think the posters who have been touting him as a potential Top 10 pick in recent weeks are likely to be more correct.

Few on the consensus lists if any had Hayton as high as he went, #5 overall, last season and I feel like if any prospect out there right now is in the kind of situation to pull that off, it might be McMichael. Now Brock still had him I believe #3 overall in just the OHL recently and there may be a limit to how high he can move in this draft when the Top 10 is thick with big-time forward talents but I'd bet Top 10 at this point without batting an eyelash.
I think Brock has him #4 in the OHL behind Kaliyev, Suzuki and Tomasino which is disagree with strongly. McMichael is the best OHL prospect in my opinion.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think Brock has him #4 in the OHL behind Kaliyev, Suzuki and Tomasino which is disagree with strongly. McMichael is the best OHL prospect in my opinion.
I think the same. While I love Kaliyev's offensive upside, McMichael has all the tools to be a Bo Horvat type.

I really think his goal scoring is underrated. I'd even go as far as saying he may have a bit more offense than Horvat, in a perfect developmental world.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's not taking a ton of faceoffs, will he remain a center long term?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Where does he go?

20-25? Would love to see the Oil move up with the 2nd + something to get this guy for Connor's wing.

Emt8

Feb 11, 2019
Is it fair to say that McMichael’s point production this year has been a bit of a surprise after putting up 16 points as a 16 year old? I know that he was a high pick in the OHL draft so he was expected to make an impact but was he expected to score at a better than point per game rate as a 17 year old?

Regardless, he’s been a big factor in the success of the knights this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is picked mid to late in the first round especially if he can continue to contribute deep into the playoffs for London.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad